Salon Review...Ladies I need your Help! (long)

GirlywithCurlies

Hi, newbie here! Well, not really, I've been lurking for what feels like forever! OK, onto the review. I recently arrived home in Philly after graduation and immediately started my search for a salon that could help me with my hair goals. I am a 4A texturized head and I'm considering going fully natural. So I'm looking for a stylist who is comfortable in both the chemical and natural worlds. On a tip I called Diadem, which is fairly new and located in Manayunk. The woman I spoke to on the phone was very nice, (when I asked if the salon dealt with natural hair she exclaimed, " Honey, we deal with hair!" and laughed) so I had a good feeling about the consultation.

Upon arrival I immediately noticed the salon was clean and pleasant. I initially received the "third eye stare" from some of the stylists/shampoo girls, which struck me as slightly odd because I knew they worked with natural hair, but I shook it off , maybe it was just the reaction of seeing a new face. Anyway, the workspaces were spotless and there were professional products at the washbowls (Nexxus, Matrix)

The stylist introduced himself and asked me to describe my hair goals and routine. I explained that I was texturized as a student for easy maintenance, but that I was now considering going back to natural. I described my regimen (weekly wash and DC, leave-in, fingerstyling/shake n go with KCCC, 2x weekly CW) and products (Botanoil, ORS Replenishing Pak, Jane Carter Leave-In, KCCC, Jane Carter Condition and Scupt for 2nd Day hair). He immediately told me that mixing from different lines was an absolute No-no. I had to bite my tongue (which I'm getting better at.) He then told me that by CWing I was in fact STRIPPING moisture from my hair; using shampoo and a weekly DC is all that my hair needs and at that point the cuticle is fully saturated. I allowed him to continue, but in my head I was thinking, "you've seen my hair for 2 minutes and yet you automatically know how much moisture it needs....oookkk". I have the driest hair known to mankind and the only thing that has made it not pop off are CWs, but hey, what do I know?

He told me to stop using so much product or else my hair won't shine. (My natural hair is 4A. It won't ever shine, it will only have sheen) When I asked him what products I should use for definition he said "twist-outs". Now, the shocker. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that maybe he just didn't have a lot of experience with natural hair and the next three words outta his mouth were, "90% of my clients are natural".

So here's my dilemna ladies. I really like the salon because it is close to my house and "claims" to be well-versed in natural tresses. But some of the things he said seem to be completely against so much of what I've learned here. I need your help ASAP! Let me know if he's on target...or if I should continue my hunt for another salon. Also, other suggestions for natural salons in the Philly area are more than welcome. Thanks!

That sounds like a cool salon! :) He sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I would trust him just based on the fact that he's not trying to push a lot of expensive products on you. I think when your hair is really healthy, you don't have to rely on products as much.

Thanks Caltron...sometimes I don't know whether or not I'm being overly paranoid! Bumping for more responses...I know the sages of this board have some advice for a newbie!

I wanted a press for a special event, but I also wanted a salon that offered a variety of natural styling options too. Presses start at $40, which is pretty reasonable for the area.

Continue doing what you know is working for your hair. Go to the salon only for styles, if he doesn't want to comply with what you want to do for your hair then move on.

IMO

RabiaElaine said:
Continue doing what you know is working for your hair. Go to the salon only for styles, if he doesn't want to comply with what you want to do for your hair then move on.

IMO

I agree with RabieElaine, you know with your own two eyes and hands what works for your hair. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GirlywithCurlies said:
The stylist introduced himself and asked me to describe my hair goals and routine. I explained that I was texturized as a student for easy maintenance, but that I was now considering going back to natural. I described my regimen... He immediately told me that mixing from different lines was an absolute No-no. I had to bite my tongue (which I'm getting better at.) He then told me that by CWing I was in fact STRIPPING moisture from my hair; using shampoo and a weekly DC is all that my hair needs and at that point the cuticle is fully saturated. I allowed him to continue, but in my head I was thinking, "you've seen my hair for 2 minutes and yet you automatically know how much moisture it needs....oookkk". I have the driest hair known to mankind and the only thing that has made it not pop off are CWs, but hey, what do I know?

He told me to stop using so much product or else my hair won't shine. (My natural hair is 4A. It won't ever shine, it will only have sheen) When I asked him what products I should use for definition he said "twist-outs". Now, the shocker. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that maybe he just didn't have a lot of experience with natural hair and the next three words outta his mouth were, "90% of my clients are natural".

So here's my dilemna ladies. I really like the salon because it is close to my house and "claims" to be well-versed in natural tresses. But some of the things he said seem to be completely against so much of what I've learned here. I need your help ASAP! Let me know if he's on target...or if I should continue my hunt for another salon. Also, other suggestions for natural salons in the Philly area are more than welcome. Thanks!

Girly, I don't find him to be on target at all. He started off great by asking about your hair goals/home care routine, and the shop earns major points for being clean and such, but I don't agree with anything he told you about products, CWs, etc. He may have X years of experience as a stylist, but you've probably developed an intimate relationship with your hair for far longer, and it sounds as though you know what works. ;) And since when is a twist out a product :confused:

If you like it there and want to give them a try, ask to see photos of his natural clients and question him on his methods for a few of them. If you like what you see and hear at that point, go for something simple. I'd love to hear how it all turns out.

Back