Sally's Generic Chi Flat Irons

Twisties

Has anyone seen the generic flat irons at Sallys' that are suppose to be just as good as the the Chi and other high-end irons? They were $59.99 there. I am looking to purchase a good flat iron for those days I want to wear my hair straight and ran across this the other day.

Anyone have one or information about them? Thanks.

I'm natural, and their generic CHI worked pretty well for me. I returned it the next day because I didn't realize I'd have to use such high settings (340 degress +) to get my hair straight. But if you're relaxed or maybe transitioning, I'd recommend it for the price. The owner actually recommended it to me over her more expensive brands for my hair and said it's one of her top sellers. Try it and if it doesn't work for you return it... :sekret:

Right, I am completely natural and have been for years. I was thinking of pressing it every now and then for a different look. I heard the ceramic flat irons were better for the hair than the old fashion pressing combs. I have read they (ceramic irons) get very hot, but I figured using it once and a while wouldn't hurt too much and I would be extra careful with it.

Thanks very much for your reply---I'll see what their return policy is before purchasing it.

Twisties said:
Right, I am completely natural and have been for years. I was thinking of pressing it every now and then for a different look. I heard the ceramic flat irons were better for the hair than the old fashion pressing combs. I have read they (ceramic irons) get very hot, but I figured using it once and a while wouldn't hurt too much and I would be extra careful with it.

Thanks very much for your reply---I'll see what their return policy is before purchasing it.

No problem, hope everything works out for you. Also, the iron was $59.99 with the Sally's card ($69 or $79 without) so make sure you bring your card if you have one and decide to purchase.

Hi,

My hair is natural 4a or b, I'm not sure, and I'm guessing it's now a little below bra strap. Anyway on another thread, the ladies were raving about the maxiglide. I was a little unsure, but I just got one yesterday. My hair is braided now, so I'm going to take it out tonight and try out the iron. If it doesn't work though, this Sally's iron sounds like it might be a good choice. Sometimes the item is the same, but we're just charged extra for the name and packaging.

Baha_Ma do you press your hair at all? When you decided not to use that much heat, did you just mean you switch to a different form of heat or you gave up on straightening all together?

My sister used a flat iron on my hair this weekend and it seemed to do ok, which is what sparked my interest in getting my own iron. She used the Gold n Hot one and it was good, but I started reading up on them and kept seeing info about the "best" ones to use etc. and ran across the Chi and generic Sally's brand..

I will probably go to a shop first to get a cut and shape and then see how it goes from there. I am so nervous since I haven't done this in YEARS! I've been wearing afro puffs, twists and braids for a long time so I was really ready for a new look :)....

One Praying

I don't have a picture, but the box looked very similiar to the other generic products they sell at Sally's. It's comes in a white box and the lettering is black just like the Paul Mitchell and Sebastion generic lines. I think the same company is now making the ceramic irons. The box said "guaranteed" to work ...

It was tempting, but I wasn't ready to spend the $$$ yet without checking here first to see what the recommendations were :).

BK Bombshell, you're right about how were are sometimes paying for the name and packaging. Please keep us posted on your results. I would really like to know.

Twisties said:
Baha_Ma do you press your hair at all? When you decided not to use that much heat, did you just mean you switch to a different form of heat or you gave up on straightening all together?

My sister used a flat iron on my hair this weekend and it seemed to do ok, which is what sparked my interest in getting my own iron. She used the Gold n Hot one and it was good, but I started reading up on them and kept seeing info about the "best" ones to use etc. and ran across the Chi and generic Sally's brand..

I will probably go to a shop first to get a cut and shape and then see how it goes from there. I am so nervous since I haven't done this in YEARS! I've been wearing afro puffs, twists and braids for a long time so I was really ready for a new look :)....

Well my hair is 4a as well (I think) and at that high of a setting the hair was straightened nicely but the ends still looked "crispy" and burnt to me- cant really explain it lol. Last time I pressed my hair myself I ended up burning off an entire section (literally, ashes of hair!) in the front because the comb was entirely too hot. So since then I've been a little reluctant to use that much direct heat (combs and irons) to straighten altogether. I have friends who have had great success pressing then flat ironing their hair with little to no damage, so if you have a little expertise in this area I say go for it, or better yet have it done at the shop (with the "real" CHI's :) ) to see how everything turns out. Best of luck to you!

Here's a pic:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1650/264802

Baha_Ma

I am cracking up :lachen: at your comment about the professional and real Chi. Years ago (8 or so) I burnt a section of my hair and had to cut it out. It was funny---it looked like I had a gold streak of color in my hair LOL. I guess I could have tried to pass it off as color. That was using one of the pressing combs that you put on the stove. I gave those up and switched to electric combs that can only get to a certain temperature ;).

I called a few salons today to see what the cost would be for a press and cut and it seemed to range around $55 - $80. I am going to get it professionally done - don't want to mess up. I still want an iron though --Sounds like maybe I should get the real thing. I'll see what happens once I get it done at a shop and go from there. That link said it was "expired" and wouldn't allow me to look at the picture, but I will go to there site and view it. Thanks so much for wishing me luck.

Yeah I noticed that Sally's have a wide range of generic ceramic irons! I'm interested in trying some, especially the tourmaline ones, I'd rather buy a lower priced generic version and upgrade if I like the results.

I seen the generic chi iron they had. I asked the lady if it was really any good, she said they hadnt had any complaints about it and everyone that bought it seemed to like it. I thought about it, but I got a different flat iron that seems to work great, and that's the Jilbere (Titanium Tools 1" width).

SweetAKA

Thanks for sharing. My hair isn't relaxed so I think I need something like the Chi iron. Did you get the Jilbere at Sally's? Is your hair natural?

Twisties said:
SweetAKA

Thanks for sharing. My hair isn't relaxed so I think I need something like the Chi iron. Did you get the Jilbere at Sally's? Is your hair natural?

I bought it at Sallys, I'm not natural though. This one has a heat dial on it, and I put it pretty low for my new growth and it does wonderful.

Thanks yokourt for the post...I still haven't decided to which one to get, but this info. helps.

Yesterday, I washed and twisted my hair for the next week and will think some more. :).

Any other experiences out there?

Here's a link to the generic flat iron

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=264802&dept%5Fid=1650

264800.jpg

Back