Sabino Moisture Block Emergency - Help I'm Scared!!!!

Dymmeonds

So I followed the directions EXACTLY. Rubbed a quarter sized amount into my hair (patting ends first, scrunching up, etc.) air-dried, rubbed another quarter sized amount in...turned flat-iron on up to 400 (a-lot of heat for my hair) and I have flat-ironed three small sections and I feel like my hair is frying! I heard one small section sizzle as I passed the iron over the ends and it now feels crunchy.

What should I do...?

hopefully u get responses b/c I've been interested in this product so when i finally get the nerve to straighten again it won't revert so quickly...

Is your hair completely dry? Perspiration from your scalp will make that "sizzle" sound too, as well as any drop of water on you flat iron.

Turn down your temperature, I was afraid of frying my hair too when I first used it, try it at 390. You may want to go over your sections more than once, but you'll feel more in control.

How long is your hair? I use a lot more than they recommend, my hair is pretty porous.

Maybe the iron is too hot. I hava a maxiglide and I never turn it past setting 1. I'm not sure what degrees that is but I don't think it's anywhere near 400.

My hair was dry, but I was perspiring. I put another quarter sized amount in and turned the iron down. I tried another two sections and it hasn't sizzled, but my hair feels different (less silky) than when I normally flat iron. Does this happen to you?

Last edited:
Maybe the iron is too hot. I hava a maxiglide and I never turn it past setting 1. I'm not sure what degrees that is but I don't think it's anywhere near 400.

Yeah, I never flat iron my own hair over 260, but the instructions for the SMB say 450 and no less than 400. That is the scary part. Maybe I just need to breathe, b/c I see other people on here say they flat iron at 360 standard...I know for a fact that would FRY my hair.

Last edited:
Yeah, I never flat iron my own hair over 260, but the instructions for the SMB say 450 and no less than 400. That is the scary part. Maybe I just need to breathe, b/c I see other people on hair say the flat iron at 360 standard...I know for a fact that would FRY my hair.
Yeah, I just can't go that high with my iron. I have sabino and it seems to work well on a lower temp as well. I think I would be too scared to ever go to 400.

Is your hair completely dry? Perspiration from your scalp will make that "sizzle" sound too, as well as any drop of water on you flat iron.

Turn down your temperature, I was afraid of frying my hair too when I first used it, try it at 390. You may want to go over your sections more than once, but you'll feel more in control.

Cosigning on the above.

I am transitioning and use a sedu shortie which has a temp of about 380 on my ng only. I hold a section at the demarcation line and stop at my fingers. One pass.It gets relaxer straight, no sizzle and is very soft. I would use the lowest temperature necessary. Don't listen to Sabino telling you to crank the heat up.

I use a quarter size for all of my ng. Dab my finger in it, rub my hands together to distribute/ spread throughout section.I was sold when my stylist showed me how such a small amount spread, because I would have used way too much. HTH.

I have used sabino many times and it works just OKAY for me. I didn't even realize the temp was to be 400. I have maybe used up to 200 degrees with my miniglide. I use a lot too. I have about a quarter size amount on just my bang section.

It seems to work well to hold curls too (less frizz).

My stylist uses it on my hair. It seems she uses two quarter sizes. My hair is really silky and has not reverted back yet.

OP, a HUGE part of the process is NOT to have dry hair. I hope I'm quoting you right. But when you say your hair is dry, do you mean lacking moisture or blown dry? The suggestion and directions for the MB says to leave some condish in your hair before adding the moisture block in order to lock moisture in the hair. If you have done that, then that would answer for the sizzling sound. BUT if your hair is feeling dry and crispy after, then I would definitely suggest turning down the heat. I NEVER use 400 degree heat other than with my BKT. As someone elese suggested, turn down the heat and do more than one pass in order to have more control over your hair. Alas, I would definitely make sure my hair has great moisture and turn down the heat before I do this... HTH

OP, a HUGE part of the process is NOT to have dry hair. I hope I'm quoting you right. But when you say your hair is dry, do you mean lacking moisture or blown dry? The suggestion and directions for the MB says to leave some condish in your hair before adding the moisture block in order to lock moisture in the hair. If you have done that, then that would answer for the sizzling sound. BUT if your hair is feeling dry and crispy after, then I would definitely suggest turning down the heat. I NEVER use 400 degree heat other than with my BKT. As someone elese suggested, turn down the heat and do more than one pass in order to have more control over your hair. Alas, I would definitely make sure my hair has great moisture and turn down the heat before I do this... HTH

I rinsed my hair, towel dried, put some MB, brushed and sat under the bonnet dryer with my hair loose to dry. Then I put some more MB, brushed and started flat ironing. I turned the heat down as you guys suggested and it was much better, the small portions in the back I started with are definitely fried though. I haven't decided if I don't like the SMB or if I need to get the hang of it, since it is in my first time using it. I will post a pic soon. My big reason for using it is that I started jogging recently and the sweat was murdering my hair (no swing and reversion at the roots).

Back