Roux PC 233 Repair System & Roux PC pH 4.5 - Different Ingredients

gadgetdiva

What is this...it smells different, but not bad...and does it still work the same?

I purchased the 'new formula' at my local BSS today for $7.99 :grin: :yep: I did a double take myself and I will not tell them any different since the last bottle I purchased was at Sally's Beauty Supply at the beginning of this year for $10.99 with my Beauty Club Discount.

Old Ingredients:
Ingredients: water, propylene gycol, oleyl betaine, dicetyldimonium chloride, lecithin, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, lactic acid , fragrance, coumarin, eugenol, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, methylparaben, propylparaben, dmdm hydantoin, titanium dioxide, mica, ext violet 2 (CI 60730), green 5 (CI 61570)

*items highlighted in purple are not in new formula

New Ingredients:
Aqua (Water) (Eau), Oleyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Lecithin, Lactic Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica

*items in pink are new & not included in old formula

new bottle on right, old bottle on left

So has anyone used the new bottle? Can you tell the difference? Same, better or worse?

ETA: Results: Ok I've used the new formula a couple of times as a final step and I am pleased with the results especially after air drying. I also noticed improvement after blow drying and doing a 'silk wrap'.
So the new formula gets my vote.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Wait, are you saying Roux Porosity Control has been reformulated? Please tell me this is not what you're saying. :sad:

(Sigh)

I just checked the bottle I have in the shower vs. the ingredients listed online. It's seems that you weren't mistaken (like I was desperately hoping).

I haven't tried this new version but I'm already disappointed. Re-formulations, in my experience, are always for the worse. Especially in products that have been out awhile. I have been using Roux PC for over 8 years, and it was definitely my #1 staple product (in all categories). I will be crushed if this new formulation has ruined a good thing. :sad:

Last edited:
It appears that way. When I did a search for the Roux PC 4.5 I saw on one site it had been discontinued. (Sleek Hair) When I went to the www.rouxblue.com site it shows the 'old' bottle as their 'new' bottle.

Thanks. :( I started editing my post before I saw yours. I am truly disappointed. I'm going to try this new version, just to see, but I don't hold out much hope. I really want to be able to come back and eat these words though.

But the last time one of my die hard staples reformulated (ORS replenishing pak) it just couldn't go on using it. I stopped using ORS years ago and I still have not found a definite replacement. I shudder to think of having to find a replacement for my beloved Roux PC. :crying3:

Thanks. :( I started editing my post before I saw yours. I am truly disappointed. I'm going to try this new version, just to see, but I don't hold out much hope. I really want to be able to come back and eat these words though.

But the last time one of my die hard staples reformulated (ORS replenishing pak) it just couldn't go on using it. I stopped using ORS years ago and I still have not found a definite replacement. I shudder to think of having to find a replacement for my beloved Roux PC. :crying3:

Yeah I discovered Roux PC in the 90's you hear me! So why the formulation change? I don't know! I loved using it as a mid-step for relaxing my hair and just for occasional DC'ing.
I'm scared to use it now...BUT I'm hoping the silk and panthenol are PLUSES and not negatives for this new blend.

I am using the new one and have never tried the old one. I am hoping the new one works because I have not gotten my moisture retention under control. I have used it 3x and hoping for a definite change soon. I didn't know it was reformulated. :sad: I hope it works.

I never tried the old one...BUT last night was the first time I used the NEW version. Baby, my used to dry WHILE I was twisting it. Last night my hair was still damp more than 2 hours later.

Me likey.

I am using the new one and have never tried the old one. I am hoping the new one works because I have not gotten my moisture retention under control. I have used it 3x and hoping for a definite change soon. I didn't know it was reformulated. :sad: I hope it works.
The old one was AWESOME!!! I loved the blue-ish color and smell too!

I never tried the old one...BUT last night was the first time I used the NEW version. Baby, my used to dry WHILE I was twisting it. Last night my hair was still damp more than 2 hours later.

Me likey.

Well thats DEFINITELY good to know!!

Yeah I discovered Roux PC in the 90's you hear me! So why the formulation change? I don't know! I loved using it as a mid-step for relaxing my hair and just for occasional DC'ing.
I'm scared to use it now...BUT I'm hoping the silk and panthenol are PLUSES and not negatives for this new blend.

I'm hoping the silk and panthenol are pluses as well. I thought of that when I saw the ingredients. But I don't like when things that work well are tweaked.

It's comforting to hear that people are liking this new version. I will be at Sally's tomorrow to purchase it, and will likely test it out this weekend. If it works even as well as the old one I will be relieved. If by the mercies of God it works better, then I think I may write a thank you letter to the company.

Based on some of the comments here, I have to say, it seems like you have use it in conjunction with a moisture recovery DC. I used it for about 2 mins AFTER I used Joico's K-Pak Moisure condish. Hope that helps.

Based on some of the comments here, I have to say, it seems like you have use it in conjunction with a moisture recovery DC. I used it for about 2 mins AFTER I used Joico's K-Pak Moisure condish. Hope that helps.

You're right, but I do know that (before I knew any better about DC'ing) with the 'old' formula my hair was luxurious like 1000 thread ct egyptian cotton sateen sheets!

I will try it out tomorrow and post my findings here.

So all this time I've been using the new bottle but didn't know it? When was it reformulated? I've had my Roux PC bottle for about 3 months now. The new bottle hasn't don't anything to assist my porosity issues. I like how ACV rinses work better than Roux PC.

So all this time I've been using the new bottle but didn't know it? When was it reformulated? I've had my Roux PC bottle for about 3 months now. The new bottle hasn't don't anything to assist my porosity issues. I like how ACV rinses work better than Roux PC.
I'm not quite sure I'm guessing it got reformulated this year some time since some places online still have stock (or so it seems) of the old bottle. I bought my old bottle in December or January this year. And have been needing to restock on it but hadn't.
I've tried ACV rinse and it doesn't work for me. I mainly used the Roux PC for my mid-step relaxer treatment and when I was swimming all summer. But I didn't realize the benefits of using it more than just for that until recently, especially since I'm relaxed.

I actually posted about this a couple of weeks on my blog, I was so shocked about the formula change!

I have used both. I used the old version one week and then new version the next week. I prefer the new version. My hair just feels silkier. I like the thicker consistency as well - the old version would always run through my fingers.

I actually posted about this a couple of weeks on my blog, I was so shocked about the formula change!

I have used both. I used the old version one week and then new version the next week. I prefer the new version. My hair just feels silkier. I like the thicker consistency as well - the old version would always run through my fingers.

Do you know that I was searching online to figure out what the heck was going on. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice. OK you have me anxious to try the new one now! :woot: Yes the old version was slimey/slippery, I treated it as if it were liquid gold because when i first started using it, it was the most expensive product I've washed down the drain so to speak, but I loved the results.

I'm not quite sure I'm guessing it got reformulated this year some time since some places online still have stock (or so it seems) of the old bottle. I bought my old bottle in December or January this year. And have been needing to restock on it but hadn't.
I've tried ACV rinse and it doesn't work for me. I mainly used the Roux PC for my mid-step relaxer treatment and when I was swimming all summer. But I didn't realize the benefits of using it more than just for that until recently, especially since I'm relaxed.
I was using Roux as a mid-step (if that's the right term) -- poo, roux, dc. I also used it as a final rinse. Either way, it didn't leave my hair feeling the best...leaves it feeling rough and coarse.

I have the new one they were having this sale where you buy 2 and get one free I also have the leave in sprays.. to be honest I haven't used it that much to say I seen a difference.. I was kind of hurt because the new bottle does not say anything about PH and the amount unless I overlooked it. Then I was thinking is this really going to help the PH in my hair. The other ones I got was the Roux 619 Treatment & Shine It restore the correct moisture balance.. I also got Roux 233 Treatment & Shine this instantly repairs and strengthens hair.

Wait! I am confused. Several months ago I found an OLD OLD OLD bottle so i thought that the White bottle is the old bottle and the other bottle was the "new" bottle. Teh only place I found the white bottle was in a store that was 100 years old with 10 million layers of dust on it - the owner actually told me he had it for years. I love the white bottle HATE the blue bottle - the blue bottle made my hair feel horrible.

OR is it that they had the white bottle before, changed to the blue bottle and are going back to the white bottle? (the writing on the white bottle in the display looks different from mine). I'm going to go home and check it out.

WAAAIIIT I am now totally confused I did a google search came accross this link http://www.justgrowalready.com/2010/09/new-roux-porosity-control.html where she described the different bottles. The new bottle is the same blue color but the the writing is different.

I'm going to go home and check again.

I believe
original - white bottle - changed in 08/09
1st reformulation - blue bottle - changed in 10
2nd reformulation - blue bottle but different typeface

The ingredient lists as far as my googling can find are:
Old Old Ingredients: water, propylene gycol, oleyl betaine, dicetyldimonium chloride, lecithin, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, lactic acid , fragrance, coumarin, eugenol, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, methylparaben, propylparaben, dmdm hydantoin, titanium dioxide, mica, ext violet 2 (CI 60730), green 5 (CI 61570)

Old Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Oleyl Betaine, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Lecithin, Guar, Coumarin, Eugenol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Methylparaben, Proplyaraben, DMDM Hydantoin, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica, Ext. Violet 2 (CI 60730), Green 5 (CI 61560)

New Ingredients: Water, Oleyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Hydrolized Silk, Panthenol, Guar, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Lecithin, Lactic Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica

Last edited:
OK GadgetdivaI am waiting for your results!!

I bought this today and hope to use it Friday! With the old one most ladies on here adviced shampooing, using the PC and then your conditioner. I dont think it will be as beneficial if you dont use conditioner afterwards since its job is to lay down your cuticle so the conditioner will stick to it. (Atleast that is the way it was described on here before!)

Let me ask...why are you ladies using it as a mid-step? I liked the results as a final step altho I have to admit was I was worried initially because my hair felt a tad rough after I rinsed with cold water.

Do you know that I was searching online to figure out what the heck was going on. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice. OK you have me anxious to try the new one now! :woot: Yes the old version was slimey/slippery, I treated it as if it were liquid gold because when i first started using it, it was the most expensive product I've washed down the drain so to speak, but I loved the results.

I completely agree with the bolded. I used to be so upset I paid 12 bucks simply to have it run through my hands! But then I perfected my quick apply method, which closely resembled me flinging the stuff into my hair once I poured it into my palm, and I was good to go lol!

I completely agree with the bolded. I used to be so upset I paid 12 bucks simply to have it run through my hands! But then I perfected my quick apply method, which closely resembled me flinging the stuff into my hair once I poured it into my palm, and I was good to go lol!

LOL! Girl I used to do the same thing! And sometimes even pour it on to my hair! SMH LOL it was such a challenging effort it seemed.

Let me ask...why are you ladies using it as a mid-step? I liked the results as a final step altho I have to admit was I was worried initially because my hair felt a tad rough after I rinsed with cold water.

Oh mid-step as in after the relaxer application rinse off but before the neutralizing shampoo. But I also use it as a final step as well! Makes the hair feel really good! Lots of SWANG!!

Wait! I am confused. Several months ago I found an OLD OLD OLD bottle so i thought that the White bottle is the old bottle and the other bottle was the "new" bottle. Teh only place I found the white bottle was in a store that was 100 years old with 10 million layers of dust on it - the owner actually told me he had it for years. I love the white bottle HATE the blue bottle - the blue bottle made my hair feel horrible.

OR is it that they had the white bottle before, changed to the blue bottle and are going back to the white bottle? (the writing on the white bottle in the display looks different from mine). I'm going to go home and check it out.

WAAAIIIT I am now totally confused I did a google search came accross this link Just Grow Already!: New Roux Porosity Control? where she described the different bottles. The new bottle is the same blue color but the the writing is different.

I'm going to go home and check again.

I believe
original - white bottle - changed in 08/09
1st reformulation - blue bottle - changed in 10
2nd reformulation - blue bottle but different typeface

The ingredient lists as far as my googling can find are:
Old Old Ingredients: water, propylene gycol, oleyl betaine, dicetyldimonium chloride, lecithin, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, lactic acid , fragrance, coumarin, eugenol, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, methylparaben, propylparaben, dmdm hydantoin, titanium dioxide, mica, ext violet 2 (CI 60730), green 5 (CI 61570)

Old Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Oleyl Betaine, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Lecithin, Guar, Coumarin, Eugenol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Methylparaben, Proplyaraben, DMDM Hydantoin, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica, Ext. Violet 2 (CI 60730), Green 5 (CI 61560)

New Ingredients: Water, Oleyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Hydrolized Silk, Panthenol, Guar, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Lecithin, Lactic Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica

The white bottle is the original from a long time ago when I first started using it. They switched to the blue bottle (that I listed as 'old') and now they have the newer one. I loved the formula from the white bottle and the old blue bottle.
This new one I'm going to give a try and we shall see...

Ok, so I purchased the new version today. And I've decided to be optimistic for now.

Btw, I use the shampoo and not the conditioner (I use it on my second lather, ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo, to help close my cuticle). From what I gather in this thread, I think most are just using the conditioner. I used both previously and liked both. But I liked the shampoo best b/c it was the only shampoo I'd ever found that felt cleansing and moisturizing at the same time (my hair actually felt better after shampooing it).

I eventually stopped using the conditioner b/c I wanted something a bit thicker. But since this new formula is supposed to have that, then I may go back and buy the matching conditioner just to see how it goes.

I used this Friday inbetween my shampoo and conditioner and then I got a dominican blowout, lets just say I can't keep my hands out of my hair its sooo soft!!

Back