Rollersetting 101 for Naturals - Help a sista out!!

Sunshine0801

Hey ya'll! :wave:

First off, let me quickly introduce myself. I've been lurking for a long time, but I finally paid the $$$ to be able to officially join you guys! I'm so excited to finally be a subscribed member here! I'm even grinning as I write this. :lachen:

Now, here's my issue. I really want to rollerset my natural hair, which is hitting the top/middle of my brastrap. The type of result I want is to have big, loose curls. I don't want to have tight, shirley temple type curls, because one of the main reasons I am rollersetting is because I want to show the length of my hair without the use of heat.

Sooooooo, can someone help me out? I have never rollerset my hair (even when I used to have a relaxer) so I'm clueless. What size and type of rollers should I buy to have the result I'm looking for? Setting lotion? How should I arrange the rollers? How can I prevent my rollerset from turning into/looking like a curly fro (although I LOVE my fro, I just want a different style for a day or two).

Also, feel free to post pics of your rollerset if you have them!

Thanks in advance ladies!

Welcome:grin:. I just recently did a looser rollerset on my hair that turned out great for me. I don't know if we have the same hair type or not, but my hair length is close to yours so this is how I did mine-the directions can be found in my album under tutorials:

How to achieve rollerset results:

1.) Wash & deep condition hair (I used Jason's Naturals biotin shampoo & deep conditioned with the biotin condtioner, hair mayo, Goya coconut milk, honey, and olive oil.
2.) For a tighter rollerset, I use the small light pink or green rollers. Since my hair has gotten longer and I wanted a looser set, I used the large purple/pinkish colored rollers. For your hair length I would recommend the grey rollers or rollers w/ a 2 inch or greater diameter. You can airdry or sit under the dryer. Since it was cold and I didn't want to go to bed with a wet head, I sat under a hooded dryer on low warm/high cool alternating them for about 30-40 minutes. The remaining time I just let it airdry

The Procedure:
1.) After I rinsed, I parted a mohawk sorta style were there was a 2 inch wide strip of hair going down the center of my head. I sectioned of the left and right sides and began to roll 1.5 inch thick sections of hair GOING FORWARD towards your forehead. It saves you more head space :). I use a small tooth comb AFTER my hair has been thoroughly detangled to help ease this process. I did this method until I got to the very last one on the base of my neck-this one I rolled downwards - it seems to get easier to roll downwards once you get the very back. I also rolled downwards of the very sides just because it was easier to catch all of the hair that way.

Throughout the procedure I made sure my hair was VERY WET. I had a bowl of water just for this purpose. When some sections began to dry completely-I took my hair and dipped it into the bowl. For each section, before rolling, I applied my leave-ins. This time I used, cantu shea butter repair cream, a little hair mayo, and some chi silk infusion . You can use any leave-in or setting lotion you feel comfortable with but it helps tremendously if they are smoothing type products-it helps your hair to roll more easily without bunching or curling up as you go. As you're rolling be sure to keep the roller very taut as to eliminate slack at the root of the hair which often give that poofy effect while the rest of your hair is relatively straight. Sometimes to combat this, I will keep the root of my hair pulled taut and just flip the ends of the hair around the roller until its secure and continue rolling until I get the base of my hair.

After its dry (for tight rollersets, I may leave them be depending on how they fall or I pull them out some) for looser rollersets like this one when the object is usually to straighten it somewhat w/out heat, I comb it out and let the curls fall or I wrap. I typically gets very straight just from the rollerset and I find that I get less split ends when I use this method. I know this seems long winded, so I hope that it helps, lol :p. Let me know if you decide to try it.

http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-jan-2/the-big-girl-roller/

Welcome:grin:. I just recently did a looser rollerset on my hair that turned out great for me. I don't know if we have the same hair type or not, but my hair length is close to yours so this is how I did mine-the directions can be found in my album under tutorials:

How to achieve rollerset results:

1.) Wash & deep condition hair (I used Jason's Naturals biotin shampoo & deep conditioned with the biotin condtioner, hair mayo, Goya coconut milk, honey, and olive oil.
2.) For a tighter rollerset, I use the small light pink or green rollers. Since my hair has gotten longer and I wanted a looser set, I used the large purple/pinkish colored rollers. For your hair length I would recommend the grey rollers or rollers w/ a 2 inch or greater diameter. You can airdry or sit under the dryer. Since it was cold and I didn't want to go to bed with a wet head, I sat under a hooded dryer on low warm/high cool alternating them for about 30-40 minutes. The remaining time I just let it airdry

The Procedure:
1.) After I rinsed, I parted a mohawk sorta style were there was a 2 inch wide strip of hair going down the center of my head. I sectioned of the left and right sides and began to roll 1.5 inch thick sections of hair GOING FORWARD towards your forehead. It saves you more head space :). I use a small tooth comb AFTER my hair has been thoroughly detangled to help ease this process. I did this method until I got to the very last one on the base of my neck-this one I rolled downwards - it seems to get easier to roll downwards once you get the very back. I also rolled downwards of the very sides just because it was easier to catch all of the hair that way.

Throughout the procedure I made sure my hair was VERY WET. I had a bowl of water just for this purpose. When some sections began to dry completely-I took my hair and dipped it into the bowl. For each section, before rolling, I applied my leave-ins. This time I used, cantu shea butter repair cream, a little hair mayo, and some chi silk infusion . You can use any leave-in or setting lotion you feel comfortable with but it helps tremendously if they are smoothing type products-it helps your hair to roll more easily without bunching or curling up as you go. As you're rolling be sure to keep the roller very taut as to eliminate slack at the root of the hair which often give that poofy effect while the rest of your hair is relatively straight. Sometimes to combat this, I will keep the root of my hair pulled taut and just flip the ends of the hair around the roller until its secure and continue rolling until I get the base of my hair.

After its dry (for tight rollersets, I may leave them be depending on how they fall or I pull them out some) for looser rollersets like this one when the object is usually to straighten it somewhat w/out heat, I comb it out and let the curls fall or I wrap. I typically gets very straight just from the rollerset and I find that I get less split ends when I use this method. I know this seems long winded, so I hope that it helps, lol :p. Let me know if you decide to try it.

[URL]http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-jan-2/the-big-girl-roller/
[/URL]

Wow, thank you so much for the thorough response! I am trying to wear this style to a holiday party that I'm attending this month, so I will definitely be trying this style out soon. I'll be sure to post pics to show ya'll how it turned out. :yep:

I have a couple of questions. First, regarding the leave in's you use - how do you apply them? Do you apply them one at a time, or does it not matter how it's applied? Also, do products that are intended to smooth your hair affect your hair texture at all in the long run? Finally, as a natural, what do you use the chi silk infusion for? I've noticed that it's very popular on this site, but I'm wondering what it does for ladies with natural hair, especially if their hair type is 4b like mine.

By the way, I checked out your rollerset in your album, and I must say it is absolutely gorgeous. :)

ETA: Do you have any pics of the way you wore your hair once the rollerset was complete?

Girl-
Ive been looking for a procedure for this. My hair does not stay straight enough while Im curling and it boings even in curlers . I tried the KBLC's above method but her hair is a looser texture. No way did I get a shiny roll of curl. If anyone knows the who what when wheres and products to attain a smooth roler set as an option to styling please hook us up!
If you want a laugh look at my rollerset in my FOTKI- but I am determined that some one of these brilliant women on this board have a solution

waiting patiently.........

Wow, thank you so much for the thorough response! I am trying to wear this style to a holiday party that I'm attending this month, so I will definitely be trying this style out soon. I'll be sure to post pics to show ya'll how it turned out. :yep:

I have a couple of questions. First, regarding the leave in's you use - how do you apply them? Do you apply them one at a time, or does it not matter how it's applied? Also, do products that are intended to smooth your hair affect your hair texture at all in the long run? Finally, as a natural, what do you use the chi silk infusion for? I've noticed that it's very popular on this site, but I'm wondering what it does for ladies with natural hair, especially if their hair type is 4b like mine.

By the way, I checked out your rollerset in your album, and I must say it is absolutely gorgeous. :)

ETA: Do you have any pics of the way you wore your hair once the rollerset was complete?

I typically apply the cantu first and then the rest. But be sure not to use too much because depending on the type of rollers you use, it can leave a film. And no, the smoothing products don't affect your texture (its just a leave-in that helps smooth your hair onto the roller before you set it). I only used the silk infusion because I was being a product junkie and just had to use it :lachen:. But it gave my set a nice silky finish after I sat under the dryer for a few minutes. Also this method may help a little more so I'm just throwing it out there. You can try to band your hair or put it in bantu knots. Then once it has been stretched and dried, apply additional leave-ins, and roller set it dry using magnetic rollers. This has also worked very well for me in the past for an even smoother finish-especially since I read that you haven't really done them. This may be an even easier option. :yep:

Last edited:
Girl-
Ive been looking for a procedure for this. My hair does not stay straight enough while Im curling and it boings even in curlers . I tried the KBLC's above method but her hair is a looser texture. No way did I get a shiny roll of curl. If anyone knows the who what when wheres and products to attain a smooth roler set as an option to styling please hook us up!
If you want a laugh look at my rollerset in my FOTKI- but I am determined that some one of these brilliant women on this board have a solution

Your rollerset did not turn out that bad-it was your first in over a decade ya know:rolleyes: :look:. Also my hair can look very much like you siggy pic at times when its airdried w/ no product so I don't consider it all that loose, especially around my edges. Nappturallyme and turnergirl have also had good results with rollersets and so has whitleygilbert (that's who I got my inspiration from). They all have 4a or 4a/4b hair. You can check out their albums as well.

Girl-

i think the answer may be to roll up less hair per roller and using more rollers possibly even smaller than the ones you used in the pic.

kblc06 - Have you ever tried rollersetting with the flexi rods? I have the purple ones and was thinking about maybe trying to rollerset with those, since they'd be much more comfortable to sleep with than the harder rollers. :look:

I'm really nervous about doing my first real rollerset the night before the holiday party. I hope it turns out cute. My only concern is that my hair will not be straight and will be poofy with curls. :ohwell: It seems like the key is getting your hair as tightly and smoothly wrapped around the roller as possible. I'm still debating whether to rollerset wet or dry. Hmmm...

nappity4b - Maybe you should try rollersetting your hair while it is wet?

oh yes... mscocoface posted a link for a flexi-rod set (i'll see if i can find it) and the stylist used many small flexi-rods and very little hair per rod.

ok - not gonna bother with lhcf's search engine :grin:, here's the direct link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bT9QPE9na4c&feature=related

@ around the 6:43 mark she'll start rodding up the hair.

Good observation! She did use less hair per rod... Hmmm, I wonder if I could do that while using bigger rods? I imagine it's more difficult, since there would be less space available because I would be using less hair per large rod...

kblc06 - Have you ever tried rollersetting with the flexi rods? I have the purple ones and was thinking about maybe trying to rollerset with those, since they'd be much more comfortable to sleep with than the harder rollers. :look:

I'm really nervous about doing my first real rollerset the night before the holiday party. I hope it turns out cute. My only concern is that my hair will not be straight and will be poofy with curls. :ohwell: It seems like the key is getting your hair as tightly and smoothly wrapped around the roller as possible. I'm still debating whether to rollerset wet or dry. Hmmm...

Sunshine-
My hair in the curlers was wet. (LOL) soaking wet wet. Thats what i mean even wet my hair boings. The picture on in my avatar was done on stretched hair and my siggy is my hair twisted for overnight and let out . Its really wiry and curly. But Im gonna try everyones suggestions until I attain a beautiful wet set , :lick:

i think the answer may be to roll up less hair per roller and using more rollers possibly even smaller than the ones you used in the pic.

Thanks lLynnie Imma give it a try and I will study that video as if my life depends on it. Your hair looks as dense as mine. That much hair is illegal!

Good observation! She did use less hair per rod... Hmmm, I wonder if I could do that while using bigger rods? I imagine it's more difficult, since there would be less space available because I would be using less hair per large rod...

exactly! now, you could very well do this using the flexi's like the video lady did or you can try it with perm rods or even smaller versions of the ones you are already using.

the smaller rollers will automatically give you more room. with the smaller rollers, it'll be easier to pull the strands taut enough to flatten them out better BUT your curls will also be tighter. the + side is a tighter roller set will eventually drop and loosen up or you could combine some of the curls and make pincurls out of them.

Thanks lLynnie Imma give it a try and I will study that video as if my life depends on it. Your hair looks as dense as mine. That much hair is illegal!

hehe yes ma'am, it is dense! when i tried rollersetting after bc'ing, i use (not the tiny, tiny ones) medium perm rods and smallish chunks of hair. many, many rollers were used :grin: - i want to say about (checked my album and i'd say about 30 or so not 40-45 give or take.

ETA: You all can definitely do this style!! It's just the matter of the right rollers, technique and products.

of course we all want to see pictures - no holding out!

Last edited:

I have bought some flexirods, but haven't got around to experimenting with them yet-I'm still trying to figure out how I would get them to hold :look:

Sunshine-
My hair in the curlers was wet. (LOL) soaking wet wet. Thats what i mean even wet my hair boings. The picture on in my avatar was done on stretched hair and my siggy is my hair twisted for overnight and let out . Its really wiry and curly. But Im gonna try everyones suggestions until I attain a beautiful wet set , :lick:

Oh I see. My hair is really wiry too, and looks similar to yours in terms of density (although my strands are fine). This is definitely gonna be an interesting experiment. I'm trying it out next week so I'll post pics with the results. :grin:

exactly! now, you could very well do this using the flexi's like the video lady did or you can try it with perm rods or even smaller versions of the ones you are already using.

the smaller rollers will automatically give you more room. with the smaller rollers, it'll be easier to pull the strands taut enough to flatten them out better BUT your curls will also be tighter. the + side is a tighter roller set will eventually drop and loosen up or you could combine some of the curls and make pincurls out of them.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to use less rollers to get the look I'm going for, and then maybe wrap it or something to get the curls to fall.

This should be interesting...I really hope I don't go to this Christmas party lookin' a fool...:nono:

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to use less rollers to get the look I'm going for, and then maybe wrap it or something to get the curls to fall.

This should be interesting...I really hope I don't go to this Christmas party lookin' a fool...:nono:
WELCOME SUNSHINE!!! i would suggest doing the rolling "days" or even a week b4 the christmas party to see what kinda results u'll get and then if it works out...just re-do the night b4 the christmas party.:)

I have bought some flexirods, but haven't got around to experimenting with them yet-I'm still trying to figure out how I would get them to hold :look:
watch the video Lynne just posted above...its real easy..roll all the way to the end and BEND the flexi rods to hold it in place

I typically apply the cantu first and then the rest. But be sure not to use too much because depending on the type of rollers you use, it can leave a film. And no, the smoothing products don't affect your texture (its just a leave-in that helps smooth your hair onto the roller before you set it). I only used the silk infusion because I was being a product junkie and just had to use it :lachen:. But it gave my set a nice silky finish after I sat under the dryer for a few minutes. Also this method may help a little more so I'm just throwing it out there. You can try to band your hair or put it in bantu knots. Then once it has been stretched and dried, apply additional leave-ins, and roller set it dry using magnetic rollers. This has also worked very well for me in the past for an even smoother finish-especially since I read that you haven't really done them. This may be an even easier option. :yep:

ur rollerset is gawjus and real shiney....

oh yes... mscocoface posted a link for a flexi-rod set (i'll see if i can find it) and the stylist used many small flexi-rods and very little hair per rod.

ok - not gonna bother with lhcf's search engine :grin:, here's the direct link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bT9QPE9na4c&feature=related

@ around the 6:43 mark she'll start rodding up the hair.

I noticed that too LynnieB and that was my mistake when i flexirodded for the 1st time this summer....i used larger sections of hair per rod...i will try again soon using her method....hope it works

WELCOME SUNSHINE!!! i would suggest doing the rolling "days" or even a week b4 the christmas party to see what kinda results u'll get and then if it works out...just re-do the night b4 the christmas party.:)

Thanks scarcity21!!! :grin:

Yeah, trying it out BEFORE the party would be the smartest thing to do. Unfortunately, time is not on my side before then, so I don't know if I'll be able to do it. Plus, my hair loves to break with too much manipulation, so I think I'll just keep a close watch on what my hair is doing while I'm doing the rollerset and letting it airdry. If I see texture starting to appear on the rollers, that will be a sign that my set will not come out smooth and I'll just start over instead of letting it dry that way.

Oh I see. My hair is really wiry too, and looks similar to yours in terms of density (although my strands are fine). This is definitely gonna be an interesting experiment. I'm trying it out next week so I'll post pics with the results. :grin:

Sunshine- I cant wait to see! Pm me when you get your results- maybe I can learn s trick or two from you:lick:

Back