Rollersetters: How the heck do you get your roots straight?!?!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Except for the first two rollers in the mohawk, I roll every roller upwards because I know this helps flatten roots. I get the rollers as taught as I can, and my roots STILL look a HAM :perplexed So I'm sitting here lookin stupid with these pretty curls and puffy a** roots. How can I get them straighter? Any tips or tricks?

Last edited:
good question. I really have no idea. Thats one of the things I struggle with. Personally I dont think it can not get that straight once your hairs is a few weeks post just by rolling. I think some sort of heat would help but i see you said you cant use that now.

Besides the ponytail method LadyLibra mentioned, you can use Sylver2's scarf/rollersetting method I'm always raving about. The scarf tied tightly on freshly washed & conditioned wet hair smoothes the roots and hair while the length is rolled up. See her tutorial for pics. :)

Besides the ponytail method LadyLibra mentioned, you can use Sylver2's scarf/rollersetting method I'm always raving about. The scarf tied tightly on freshly washed & conditioned wet hair smoothes the roots and hair while the length is rolled up. See her tutorial for pics. :)

I do a different version of the scarf method. I rollerset my hair once dry I apply JC N&S and a little castor oil and tie it down with a scarf while the length of my hair is in a pony. 15-20 minutes and my roots are straight.

I'm in bootcamp, so I can't use direct heat :cry3:

Who the hell told you to join that challenge? I wish i MIGHT join a challenge/bootcamp around here. Soon as i join one, my NG will sprout 2 inches...None of yall are coming over to help me tame these roots.

I'm 11 weeks post and trying to stretch til 14 or 16 weeks and its hell. I also have nice curly rollersets and everyones says "oooh, your hair is pretty!....(then i turn around and they see my edges/NG).....Ewww, uh I mean oh, :nono:you STILL stretching your perm??..."

I just let it be sometimes. Nappy is pretty. I use a flat iron on the edges, viewable roots, and then try to wrap it but my hair is so thick right now that it wont even wrap...it literally will not stretch around my head...u got to see it to believe it.

Looks like i have a wig on cause the roots just wont lay down.

Scarf it up Tiffers!..Grease it down and tie it down w/ a scarf. Good luck!

MizzBrown when you rollerset do you get dents with your covers? If not how do you do it?

Yeah i get dents but they are so close to the roots that you can't tell. And once I blend in the curls, you cant see anything.

Most of yall rollerset then saranwrap and stuff but i dont. Once i rollerset, i leave the rollers in and do a curly set for a couple days.

Probably why i dont have any issues w/ wrapping out the dents. They just fall away.

ESPECIALLY if i'm gettin really post. Gotta hide the 2 textures a little.

I am not sure where to focus putting the covers. Sometimes I would try to et them as close as I can to the roots and other times as far away as I could. Now I'll just try to get it as close to the root as possible.

I also wear mine curly. :yep:

blow out the roots (marcheriemour's video tutorial)

these roots.

I'm 11 weeks post and trying to stretch til 14 or 16 weeks and its hell. I also have nice curly rollersets and everyones says "oooh, your hair is pretty!....(then i turn around and they see my edges/NG).....Ewww, uh I mean oh, you STILL stretching your perm??..."

it can be done :yep:

Last edited:

Thanks Isis! I'm gonna go check that out!

Who the hell told you to join that challenge? I wish i MIGHT join a challenge/bootcamp around here. Soon as i join one, my NG will sprout 2 inches...None of yall are coming over to help me tame these roots.

I'm 11 weeks post and trying to stretch til 14 or 16 weeks and its hell. I also have nice curly rollersets and everyones says "oooh, your hair is pretty!....(then i turn around and they see my edges/NG).....Ewww, uh I mean oh, :nono:you STILL stretching your perm??..."

I just let it be sometimes. Nappy is pretty. I use a flat iron on the edges, viewable roots, and then try to wrap it but my hair is so thick right now that it wont even wrap...it literally will not stretch around my head...u got to see it to believe it.

Looks like i have a wig on cause the roots just wont lay down.

Scarf it up Tiffers!..Grease it down and tie it down w/ a scarf. Good luck!

:lachen: :lachen:

Girl, you STAY crackin me up! :lol:

I've joined all kinds of challenges, I'm DETERMINED to reach APL this year. I've been stuck at ''almost APL'' for like 9 freakin months now :wallbash: Time for me to start crackin the whip :whip:

Your hair looks so pretty in your siggy! What do you use in your hair to make it so shiny and smooth?

Can someone explain the ponytail set for me?

Thanks! ;)

Put your hair in a bunch of ponytails, (I usually do 8, 4 on each side of my head) then put a roller on each ponytail and dry. The ponytails are supposed to flatten the roots :yep:

Pokahontas has pics of her cheat set in her fotki to get an idea of what it looks like :)

I do a different version of the scarf method. I rollerset my hair once dry I apply JC N&S and a little castor oil and tie it down with a scarf while the length of my hair is in a pony. 15-20 minutes and my roots are straight.

That's a good idea! Is JC N&S a serum?

:lachen: :lachen:

Girl, you STAY crackin me up! :lol:

I've joined all kinds of challenges, I'm DETERMINED to reach APL this year. I've been stuck at ''almost APL'' for like 9 freakin months now :wallbash: Time for me to start crackin the whip :whip:

Your hair looks so pretty in your siggy! What do you use in your hair to make it so shiny and smooth?

Natural juices and berries.

How tight are you rollersetting to the head. I only get puffy roots when they are exposed and there is a gap between the roller and head.

I guess this could happen if you are using really large rollers also. I'm just a little bsl and I use the red/orange magnetic rollers...no puffy roots if I roll to the head. I NEVER have puffy roots if I go to the salon and I'm natural with a very kinky texture.

I use the red/orange on my daughter who is APL and she doesn't have puffy roots either.

:lachen:LMAO! I know that's right. My hair would laugh at me with no heat on it. Especially the relaxed parts. The natural part is okay with no heat. It can airdry in nice spiral curls and be alright. Them relaxed ends look at me like :perplexed:ohwell::nono: when they have no heat.

I lightly flat-iron my roots if I want real silky swingin hair!

Most days I just pull my hair back into a ponytail brush the edges and tie it with a scarf for a few minutes and the edges are straight which is good enough for me! :yep:

i don't. . . I just throw a headband on. :grin: if I am desperate, i might slick my front edges with some castor oil at night before I tie it down. . . but other than that, ya'll gonan see my roots in all their nappy glory lol:lachen:

Back