Rollersetters--How do you get your curls to last?

InJesusName

Hi ladies!

I have decided to wear my "own" hair for a while and have been using roller sets as a protective style. I usually wet set it using Lottabody and sitting under the dryer, but my style only looks good for a day. I basically have to re-roll it every night in order to get it to look decent. Is there a product or procedure that would work better and make my roller sets last longer?

Pincurls never work well for me. I use this method where I roll my hair using my fingers as if I were doing a rollerset over--just with the roller. I can't explain it well but I have pictures in my fotki under the 'June 2007 - Rollersetting' album.

Hey!! I am so excited to share this with you.. I use pincurls BUT I dont use the normal pins..I use those bendable clips with the "no breakage grip" by scrunchie" Its the clips that you bend to "snap" into place. I place the clip furthest from my ends in the curl and the bend in the clip follows the natural bend in the curl so it really comes out nicely. I will update my fotki for you.

You know what ladies...I pin curled my hair when I had a stylist to roller set my hair, but never thought my bathroom dos were good enough for that. My stylist is taking a little break so I am forced to do my own hair (sigh).

I will try the pin curls. Thanks!

Pincurling works very well for me.

BTW, thanks for sharing your bendable clips, SerenityBreeze. I always use the Good Hair Days pins on my pincurls but I'll have to check yours out.:)

ayoung1981 said:
Can u post a pic of those pins SB or Isis?

2065027.jpg

2065026.jpg

These are pics of black and clear ones from the Ulta website. These Good Hair Days pins also come in tortoise shell color, which is usually what I see at Sally's. They are very safe and gentle on the hair and hold very well, especially with updos like French Twists and buns. :)

Last edited:
Sorry the pics came out huge..I just took them with my camera..I wanted to post them right away for you guys. There is a plastic coating on these so it covers the metal and you dont get breakage.

SerenityBreeze said:
Sorry the pics came out huge..I just took them with my camera..I wanted to post them right away for you guys. There is a plastic coating on these so it covers the metal and you dont get breakage.
Thank you for posting! Now I see what you mean. I really like the way your pincurls look with these..:scratchch

What about us with hair that's not as long as some of you all's. Your pincurls come out so nice because they fall to their length, but those like me with shorter hair -neck length, they kind of just "stay" when you take the pins out.

Forwhatever reasons. Pincurls always result in something extra frizzy for my hair so I either bantu knot, Like four huge ones or bull it back in a bun. It works for me but that may be because my hair is natural.

If I am wearing a curly rollerset, I pull my hair up toward the top of my head(like making a ponytail) with a head band, I might put a couple of clipies on the side I sleep on, and cover it with a sleep cap or bonnet.

Isis said:
2065027.jpg

2065026.jpg

These are pics of black and clear ones from the Ulta website. These Good Hair Days pins also come in tortoise shell color, which is usually what I see at Sally's. They are very safe and gentle on the hair and hold very well, especially with updos like French Twists and buns. :)

Isis, the more I think about it, I think I like your pins better. You say that I can buy them at Sally's? I like how the end of the pin is rounded. Perfect for that pin curl without creating any bends!

I tried the pin curl trick after my rollerset and it worked really well. Thx ladies!!
I'm still trying to master it--but my hair was cute and I didn't have to use a lot of manipulation or heat to get it the way i wanted it.

def. a keeper!

Back