ROLLER SETS ON NATURAL 4A B Hair???

I've done my own straw sets a couple of times. The results were nice, but it takes waaay to long. I don't think I'd do it again.

I rollerset my hair to dry and straighten it. After I wash and condition, I make sure my hair is pretty wet before I start rollersetting. Then one section at a time I'll rub a creamy moisturizer through my hair, spray it with diluted Lottabody setting lotion, and roll it onto the roller. I think using a creamy moisturizer along with setting lotion leaves my hair much softer than if I used Lottabody by itself.

ETA: I airdry my rollersets, but I'll also use the cool air shot on my blowdryer for 5-10 minutes to speed the process along a bit.

Last edited:
I did a rod set last night on my hair (pics in my fotki). I suck at putting rollers/rods in my hair and I didn't have my hooded dryer so I did a mixture of blow drying while in rollers/air drying. It just came out OK but my attempt let me know that it can be done successfully and I may go to a salon and have them set my hair.

Last edited:
well since i have been taking care of my hair i now think i am probably more of a 3c than anything, its like my hair has been getting softer. i may have a lil 4 a mixed in, anyway i rollerset my natural hair all the time.

i wash my hair deep condition cool rinse it out and while its still pretty much dripping wet i put some almond oil/hot six oil in my hair and some fantashia IC gel w/sparklets then i seal it with sleek and shine serum. what works best for me so fat after much trial and error is either flexi rods, or the foam rollers, i then proceed to sleep in them. the next day i take my curls out seperate them and i run a hot brush over my roots to smooth them out ...

my hair over all looks very nice like this my bf even said he liked the style on me which says alot.

Yeah, it can be done. I haven't tried it yet but I know other ladies here have. The only ones I can think of are PoohBear and AFashionSlave right now.

I roller set on my natural hair too. I've gotten the best results from using Silicon mix leave in, serum, and diluted lottabody. It came out very well. I have lots of pics and instructions in my fotki.

I've had my natural 4a/b hair rollersetted before too. Check out my 2006 album fourth quarter for pics. I had my mom rollerset it for me. She just applied this got2be straight & sleek lotion to each section of my hair when wet and then combed out the section before rolling it up.

angellazette said:
I did a rod set last night on my hair (pics in my fotki). I suck at putting rollers/rods in my hair and I didn't have my hooded dryer so I did a mixture of blow drying while in rollers/air drying. It just came out OK but my attempt let me know that it can be done successfully and I may go to a salon and have them set my hair.

The same thing happened to me, my results were similar to yours.

I rollerset sometimes for a change. I just put ORS Olive Oil Lotion on my hair and a little gel on the ends. I use Large magnetic rollers and airdry. This was the last one I did. I am gonna try larger rollers next time, it came out kinda frizzy to me.
color1.jpg

Any naturals rollerset on dry hair that has been plaited up first? That may be easier to rollerset. I think I may try that. I tried doing it on wet hair and I found my crown area way too coily to roll. It could just been me and products I used.

My hair is 3b or 3c (not sure) I just started rollersetting the begining of the year, I shampoo once a week, I was using lottabody but I tried the foam by silk elements, really like it hair comes out better than lottabody, not crunchy.
I sit under the dryer, I'm going to try this for 6 months straight to see if there is a difference in my hair. Also started using henna in January really like it :D

Back