Rocking a TWA

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
How do you think your non-black co-workers would judge you about you doing the BC and rockin' the TWA?

Would that make you not want to go natural due to people's reacting!

My non black coworkers loved my twa (I work in a corporate white dominated environment). They were mostly the ones who commented on it. There was absolutely no issues with my hair. I would have dared any of them to comment negatively on the texture of my hair.

I'm not worried about the TWA - I'm worried about the BAA! Something like that can't help but attract attention! :grin:

Girl, a couple people already told me that I am going to look stupid. I am just 12 weeks into transitioning so it is not like my hair looks bad. I asked them why they think it is a bad idea they told me natural hair just looks ungroomed and not together.

I work in a small building with 52 white males and 2 white females...

They were all shocked, some liked it and some didn't and they made it a point to tell me :rolleyes:. Either way they had judged me from the day I walked in the door.

At first I was nervous...I tried to transition with braids, wigs, weaves but it wasn't working...I wanted to be free. I wasn't gonna keep running from myself and who I was b/c of these ignorant fools. :nono:

I did my BC on a Friday night after a LONG day of listening to borderline racist comments towards various races. Monday I showed up like nothing had happend with my head high and my shoulders back.
:moon: Anyone in there that didn't like it could have kissed my a$$ for all I cared.

They have gotten over the shock of the BC and now it's "Q&A time" I guess, but surprisingly a lot of the guys liked it....more of them are coming around.

Black is Beautiful...Relaxed, Weaved, Loced or Natural. It's all good.

Screw those that think otherwise.

It's funny that people think your personality changed b/c you went natural...it's the same me no matter how I decide to wear my hair.

Well I remember when I first cut my hair I went to a barber shop and told them to shape it up like the guys have theirs done. Then I went to work and mostly black people were commenting about it saying I looked like Angela Davis and comments like that. And the non-white people some made faces, or were to scared to say anything.

Girl, a couple people already told me that I am going to look stupid. I am just 12 weeks into transitioning so it is not like my hair looks bad. I asked them why they think it is a bad idea they told me natural hair just looks ungroomed and not together.

One of my natural co-workers told me to tell people that say stupid stuff to "F OFF"

It's too funny to hear her say it b/c she is so quiet and calm!

You will look great!

I work in a small building with 52 white males and 2 white females...

Sounds similar to me. No one at my job said anything after my BC in February, except for one lady. Her comment: "I like your hair". I think the white men steer away from commenting on women's hair here in general. It just seems inappropriate to do so I guess? My officemates looked shocked ... but nothing was said.

To be honest, I don't care what people at work think so long as I feel I look my best - clean and well-put-together. You can't let others affect your decision to wear a TWA. It's difficult (it was for me ... I wasn't confident in the beginning) but you'll be fine.

Well, we just finished an online Diversity Training program and it addressed everything from transgendered workers to women of color that wear their hair natural. They now know that if they even mutter something like 'wow, WHY would she wear her hair like that?!', its a trip to HR!

The vast majority of people have no problem with a TWA.

It's the shock of a woman going from longer hair to a TWA that gets the reactions.

When I did my BC, it was only the people who knew me who had things to say. Strangers who had never seen me before were coplimenting me left and right. It was the shock of it that was the big deal.

Now that my people are used to it, they compliment me all the time.

If you're going to BC, you best have really thick skin during that first month for all the people who knew you before.:yep:

When I wore a super short fade I got more flack from other black people than I did from white people. Most of the white people I knew at the time thought it was fantastic.

Where I work now I don't think it would be a problem at all.

white people loved my twa
but my people not so much

once it got a little size I got compliments
But to be perfectly honest I was very overweight when I chopped. My face looked different so it could have been a reaction to the weight and not the hair.

I BC'd in February, and I went from a pixie cut to a near fade. I didn't really see that large of a difference, and neither did my co-workers. As a matter of fact they loved it and still do. I've been interviewng and everything, and the response seems to be the same across the board... they all like it.

The vast majority of people have no problem with a TWA.

It's the shock of a woman going from longer hair to a TWA that gets the reactions.

When I did my BC, it was only the people who knew me who had things to say. Strangers who had never seen me before were coplimenting me left and right. It was the shock of it that was the big deal.

Now that my people are used to it, they compliment me all the time.

If you're going to BC, you best have really thick skin during that first month for all the people who knew you before.:yep:

I dont mean to be rude how long was your transition. Thanks

In my experience I've found that it's usually the black people that have a problem with natural hair and twas. The white people loved my hair. Either that or they just didn't say anything.

I have have had positive feedback so far from most people. I mostly get asked how I get my hair to be so curly (which is a question I dont really know how to answer, ladies help me out with an appropriate answer for this).

I have have had positive feedback so far from most people. I mostly get asked how I get my hair to be so curly (which is a question I dont really know how to answer, ladies help me out with an appropriate answer for this).

"Because I'm black...most of us do have curly hair....we just don't realize it."

People used to ask me this when I had a twa before I joined the military. They don't realize our "naps" are actually little curls that can be enhanced with a little product.

I work in an environment where the majority of ppl I work with and encounter are white. Everyone was complementing me, I didn't even had a twa I hade a fade. I think that as long as you look put together it doesn't matter and if it does the initial shock should wear off soon.

Thanks LaToya!

Whats funny is that I've rocked a TWA before and it was wayyy before I made the decision to go natural. I just one day got this bug up my arse that I wanted short hair, so I had it shaped up in the back and had a TWA. I got so many compliments on my hair it wasn't even funny.

I would not be possibly capable of caring any less than I would about how my coworkers thought about my hair and that would never be a consideration for being natural.

I've never had an afro, but when I do, I'll rock it and not give a darn who doesn't like it.

I've never heard anyone but other Black people speak negatively about fros. When my kids come to work with me everyone gushes over their kinky, nappy fros.

One person even asked me why more of us don't wear our hair like that.

Back