rinsing out gel?? anyone else have trouble?

lovepeacesoul

So i love the way my fantasia gel defines my curls but when its time to co-wash i cant get it out of my hair. has anyone else overcome this? If so, how?? I'm trying to avoid shampoo but it seems this is the only way. HELLLLLPPPP!!!

That gel does have a cone in it, but it's supposed to be water soluble. I usually have to use shampoo to get it out as well. Since I do protective styling most of the time, I only use it about once every 2 weeks, so it's not a big deal for me to have to use shampoo. I can usually get it out when I wash my hair with baking soda though. Have you tried that?

I do this also, but I manage to mix some baking soda with my condish and then proceed to wash with that. I get what you saying about the shampoo and I don't like using it but the baking soda gets the job done for me.

That gel does have a cone in it, but it's supposed to be water soluble. I usually have to use shampoo to get it out as well. Since I do protective styling most of the time, I only use it about once every 2 weeks, so it's not a big deal for me to have to use shampoo. I can usually get it out when I wash my hair with baking soda though. Have you tried that?

thanks for ur response! yes i do baking soda rinses every other week and unfortunately this just isnt that week :perplexed but i may have to do it cuz i cant stand the flakes.

I do this also, but I manage to mix some baking soda with my condish and then proceed to wash with that. I get what you saying about the shampoo and I don't like using it but the baking soda gets the job done for me.

wow i never thought of mixing it with my conditioner. how often do you do this??

hmmmmm puzzlement. i use fantasia and it comes right out with water. i have the clear one. what else are you using in addition to the gel?

i use it for finger coils on natural hair. it is the last thing i add. i spray infusium, seal with jane carter n&s, add jane carter t&l then as i separate each coil i add the ic gel.

i use elucence poo (diluted w/ water) and con, but before i even add the poo, the gel rinses out of my hair when i wet it before i put the elucence on it.

hmmmmm puzzlement. i use fantasia and it comes right out with water. i have the clear one. what else are you using in addition to the gel?

i use it for finger coils on natural hair. it is the last thing i add. i spray infusium, seal with jane carter n&s, add jane carter t&l then as i separate each coil i add the ic gel.

i use elucence poo (diluted w/ water) and con, but before i even add the poo, the gel rinses out of my hair when i wet it before i put the elucence on it.

here's what i did... maybe u can spot my fault:

I co-washed with suave humectant, rinsed about 50% so there was still some conditioner in my hair, and then applied the fantasia gel while my hair was dripping wet. The wash-n-go looked great but when i tried to rinse in the shower with water only i could feel the gel in my hair. Even after two or three mins of rinsing. I tried rinsing in sections and that didnt work either so i grabbed my nexxus therapee shampoo and that did it. Maybe i should dilute my shampoo like you do.

wow i never thought of mixing it with my conditioner. how often do you do this??
I do this whenever I feel my hair needs a good cleansing, sort of like a clarifier. I agree about the cone being in the IC gel, but my hair doesn't have a problem with cones from what I can see. But used overtime, they can build up on the hair/scalp if not washed out. So I'm a daily cowasher, so I'll sometimes do it like once a week but usually will do it on an "as-needed" basis, it all depends on any other products I put into my hair. HTH! :)

As a side note, I use the blue one for color-treated hair if that helps any.

here's what i did... maybe u can spot my fault:

I co-washed with suave humectant, rinsed about 50% so there was still some conditioner in my hair, and then applied the fantasia gel while my hair was dripping wet. The wash-n-go looked great but when i tried to rinse in the shower with water only i could feel the gel in my hair. Even after two or three mins of rinsing. I tried rinsing in sections and that didnt work either so i grabbed my nexxus therapee shampoo and that did it. Maybe i should dilute my shampoo like you do.

i would not say there is a fault. i think this is one of the many hair situations where we each have our own results with products. the majority of the responses in this thread are like yours so my suggestion is try the baking soda in the conditioner and see if that helps. maybe you used a lot. i did that once and hated it. i also tried a different gel (i have to find it to get the brand) and it was a super hold one and that stuff would not budge.

While there's much debate about their effectiveness, you could try a clarifying conditioner as well, such as V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or one of the Tea Therapy V05s (can't remember which).

While there's much debate about their effectiveness, you could try a clarifying conditioner as well, such as V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or one of the Tea Therapy V05s (can't remember which).

great suggestion! i'll buy it someplace that will give me back my 89 cents if the V05 doesnt work out :grin:

I was wondering about this today.........just discovered ic fantasia gel and I have been using it everyday this week.

I stopped using Fantasia because I had the same problem. I now use Fruit of the Earth Aloe vera gel, to slick down my hair, it gives me the same shine, hold as Fantasia, but it's easier to wash out, and reapplying it does not give me white flakes.

I stopped using Fantasia because I had the same problem. I now use Fruit of the Earth Aloe vera gel, to slick down my hair, it gives me the same shine, hold as Fantasia, but it's easier to wash out, and reapplying it does not give me white flakes.

great im looking for alternatives right now. btw i love ur hair!

ITA, suave humectant is moisturizing and has a cone in it, it left a build up on my hair when I tried using it for cowashing. I think using a clarifying condish should help.

i use jason brand aloe vera gel.....haven't tried it for finger coils yet....i'll try it one day. yep OP, honeycomb's idea is a good one...:yep:

^^^^^It's the Kiwi Squeeze I have some of this too. Also IC Fantasia Thick N Shine does not leave a residue in your hair. I use this everyday and have no problems.

Last edited:
^^^^^It's the Kiwi Squeeze I have some of this too. Also IC Fantasia Thick N Shine does not leave a residue in your hair. I use this everyday and have no problems.

How do you use the 'Thick N Shine'? to slick back your hair or to define curls? Maybe i should just use less...

^^^^^^ Right now I'm only bunning my hair so I use a little on the first edges of my hair and then I just use the Aloe Gel on the rest of my hair. It does define you're curl pattern and I'm sure it's really good to define your curls too but I haven't tried it way that yet. I heard about the gel through SO1913 who is a member here.

I love FOTE Aloe Vera Gel and Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly, but I get more shine from the FOTE.

Back