Rinse and Conditioner: What's the Difference?

inthepink

Rinse and Conditioner: What\'s the Difference?

I always thought that a rinse was just something you put on your hair with no manipulation and then you "rinse" immediately. And typically this would be something that's "thin."

I thought a conditioner was something thicker and has a lot more benefits than a rinse. I thought rinses just added a shine to hair or something like that.

Why are some products called "rinses" and then ask you to leave on for 5-10 minutes? I'm confused...
confused.gif

Re: Rinse and Conditioner: What\'s the Difference?

this article is taken from Hype Hair April 2003 (with Queen Latifah on the front) p.50

Healthy hair care is critical in order to realie your hair's fullest growth potential. Proper conditioning is an important hair care step. The essential reason for the use of conditioners is to repair and revitalize dry or damaged hair. The need for conditioning is based mainly on the porosity of the cuticle layer of the hair. In the salon conditioners may be applied to the hair as a routine measure, and usually contain acidic ingredients that restore body to the hair (by shrinking and hardening the innermost section of the cortex layer) and the shingles of the cuticle layer. Conditioners remove tangles, prevent static electricity in the blow-drying process, smooth split ends, provide body and volume to fine hair, and moisturize dry, stiff hair. The problem is that there are so many conditioners out there that choosing the right one can be a challenge, but here's what you need to know.

Conditioners come in five different forms: cream rinses, instant conditioners, deep conditioners, body builders, and leave-in conditioners. the tree types most commonly used in salons are deep, instant, and leave-in conditioners.

Instant conditioner is applied to the hair just after the shampoo for three to five minutes, usually combed through for best results, and then rinsed out thoroughly. They are usually composed of waxes, oils, emulsifiesrs, hydroloyzed protein, balsam, and/or film-forming polymers. Instant conditioners, designed for all hair types, don't rebuild the hair shaft but do fill in any cracks and help it feel whole again. The formulations for instant conditioners vary in the amount of proteins, waxes, and oils depending on the hair type it is designed for. Deep conditioners are left on the hair for longer periods of time, either under a dryer or a heat cap. Usually thicker in consistency they are designed for extremely damaged and dry hair. Deep conditioners should be used a few days before and after any chemical service. They help restore moisture and stability to the hair shaft, making it less brittle and frayed. These products don't permanentlyh repair the hair shaft, but prevent hair from further damage. leave-in conditioners contain fillers that are absorbedf by the hair shaft. Once inside, these compounds bind with natural keratin to close up split ends and firm up hair strands. Unlike other conditioners, there are not rinsed out. Leave-ins are applied afte the shampoo and left on the hair, lasting from shampoo to shampoo. They provide an intensive conditioning treatment for damaged hair and help to smooth hair shaft as well as even out the hair's texture during blow-drying and curling.

sorry for any mispellings! i typed this and then clicked continue without checking spelling

I believe they are like regular conditioners, but lighter and with the aim of removing all shampoo residue. Not sure though.

According to Dickey's Book, 'Hair Rules'- He says rinses are formulated for straight hair as regular conditioners will weigh down straight hair.

From what I've read rinses smooth the cuticle and detangle but they don't really "add" anything to the hair.

[ QUOTE ]
caress said:
From what I've read rinses smooth the cuticle and detangle but they don't really "add" anything to the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Caress,
wave.gif

This is what I've heard too.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
caress said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Caress,
wave.gif

This is what I've heard too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my understanding too.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
caress said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is probably why it works better for straight hair and not anything else. Straight hair doesn't need the conditioning benefits that other people require.

Does anyone know if Porosity Control is considered a rinse?

Back