Reversion with Sabino by day 4?

naturalmanenyc

I used Sabino for my flat iron on 12/13/08 and I have lots of reversion as of today. Granted, it's been overly warm in NYC (65 degress on Monday) and I have been sweating in my sleep (building has the heat on as of October)....but I did not expect so much reversion this soon especially given that I used a ton of Sabino.

Pictures of the entire process are here:
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/49-weeks--6-days--s/

I did a rollerset first (not a blow out) and my flat iron (maxiglide) was set to "3" rather than 400 degrees.

Temps per Maxius
setting 1 320
setting 2 329
setting 3 332.6
setting 4 336.2
setting 5 347
setting 6 357.8
setting 7 372.2
setting 8 375.8
setting 9 377.6
setting 10 383

Did I do something wrong?:perplexed

My hair has reverted within a couple of hours on a humid day, so 4 days is a feat....but I did expect a miracle I guess.
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/24-weeks-post--flat/

Edited to add -
Tried it again 12/18/08 - http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/sabino-attempt-two/

No swing at all but I did notice a difference by using Sabino on wet hair.

Last edited:
I used Sabino for my flat iron on 12/13/08 and I have lots of reversion as of today. Granted, it's been overly warm in NYC (65 degress on Monday) and I have been sweating in my sleep (building has the heat on as of October)....but I did not expect so much reversion this soon especially given that I used a ton of Sabino.

Pictures of the entire process are here:
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/49-weeks--6-days--s/

I did a rollerset first (not a blow out) and my flat iron (maxiglide) was set to "3" rather than 400 degrees.

Temps per Maxius
setting 1 320
setting 2 329

setting 3 332.6
setting 4 336.2
setting 5 347
setting 6 357.8
setting 7 372.2
setting 8 375.8
setting 9 377.6
setting 10 383

Did I do something wrong?:perplexed

My hair has reverted within a couple of hours on a humid day, so 4 days is a feat....but I did expect a miracle I guess.
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/24-weeks-post--flat/

Girl, what??? That aint warm! Sorry, that was off topic. :giggle:

For December in NYC, 65 degrees was amazing!!! I swear people were going to the beach...or so it seemed from the traffic by the Jones Beach exit when I was on the road Monday....with no coat at all - not even in the car.

Products:
Prepoo with Hair One (olive oil)

Washed with a mix of WEN Fig cleansing conditioner, June Jacobs Clarifying poo & VO5 Kiwi Clarifying conditioner).

Protein treatment - Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor with heat for 10 minute (with plastic cap)

Conditioner - AOHSR w/ plastic cap for about 30 minutes with no heat (chatting on-line) & then 20 minutes with heat

This is where I see a step missing....:yep:

:yep: Once you do your final rinse add Leave-in and then Moisture block. Make sure you brush the Moisture block throughout the hair. Then you can set.

Rollerset with flexirods and completely did that wrong. It took much longer to dry than with my normal magnetic roller set style.

Another step that was missing...
Before flatironing add a little more Moisture block after taking the rollers out.

Flat ironed the following day after adding AOHSR as a leave in and then used Sabino Moisture Block on each section (brushed through) and used a Maxi glide on setting 3.

Hmm. My hair did not revert for 2 weeks. in the heat, under misters, etc....

IMO.... you did not use enough heat.

400 degrees will help to get it straight... and stay straight.

I am all natural - so - I know how much heat my hair needs. Just my opinion.

i didnt use mine till after i did the blowdrying (i used pinkskates tension method), so i didnt even lock in the moisture or what not, and i still have not experienced reversion. i straightened on sunday and it has been raining here for 2 days. i am washing it out friday night cause i miss my curls, not cause my hair is ruined. i used my solia on 400. i have noticed in the past (for instance, the 2 month old pic in my sig) that using a lower heat setting resulted in less than stellar results.

You have to turn up the heat. I used it with my solia at 350 and my hair puffed right up. When I used it at 400 it worked soo much better. My hair stayed straight and it wasn't damaged. Just make sure to distribute it well.

I did my hair on December 7 (with SMB), and as of today, my hair has not reverted. It was 70 some degrees here on Monday, and several of the other days there was rain here.

This is what I did:

shampooed hair
deep conditioned hair (this is where I get lots of moisture - works for me)
add SMB
brushed hair with Denman brush
dried hair under the dryer in 3 ponytails with ends rolled on magnetic rollers
flat ironed hair (with my Sedu flat iron on 320)

This is good info, I was confused about when to use the SMB before drying or after drying.

I see some are putting the SMB on while hair is still wet after applying leave in and then again using SBM on the hair right before running through the hair with the flat iron.

OT question.

How can you test your hair to see how much heat it can take with out burning it?

I remember once when I was young and got my first Gold N Hot curling iron with the adjustable temp, I turned it up to 8 or 9 and then proceeded to see my curl melt on the iron. I never recovered from that and I don't want to repeat it! :nono:

I'm surprised to hear this because I don't get reversion with Sabino. I may get a couple of waves right at the edges of my hair, but that's when I'm not careful in the shower and I've been carelessly splashing water when washing my face.

I shampoo, deep condition w/ heat for 30 minutes, then rinse. Then, I add a little leave-in, and I apply sabino while my hair is still damp. I brush it through with a boar bristle brush and air dry. (I'll sit under the dryer if I'm in a big rush).

Once my hair is dry, I apply Sabino MB to my hair once again and brush through for even distribution. Last, flat iron on ~400. I have a FHI, so there isn't an exact mark for 400.

Once I do that, my hair stays straight until I wash it the next week. I attempted two weeks recently to see if it would last, and it did! Your reversion may be due to using too little product and a low heat setting.

I use Sabino on my DD's natural hair once a week without reversion. I recommend brushing the product through your hair before drying, turn your flatiron up to approx 325-350 and apply more before you flat iron. Also, Sabino recommends that you leave some of your regular conditioner in your hair.

This is good info, I was confused about when to use the SMB before drying or after drying.

I see some are putting the SMB on while hair is still wet after applying leave in and then again using SBM on the hair right before running through the hair with the flat iron.

OT question.

How can you test your hair to see how much heat it can take with out burning it?

I remember once when I was young and got my first Gold N Hot curling iron with the adjustable temp, I turned it up to 8 or 9 and then proceeded to see my curl melt on the iron. I never recovered from that and I don't want to repeat it! :nono:

I do this. I watched his video about the proper use of Sabino and that's what he suggested. At first I thought he just wanted us to use more product so we'd have to order more, lol. But I've tried just using it on wet hair and I've also tried using it on dry hair right before flat-ironing and the results were just okay.

I am going to the salon next week and plan on taking this with me. I want to make sure I have this right.

Wash hair
DC
Rinse hair
Apply leave in
Apply Sabino
Blow dry
Apply SB
Flat iron

Should Sabino be the absolute last thing that goes on my hair? She usually using a light oil on my hair at the end. Should I skip this?

I used all my leave ins and heat protectants on wet hair. My hair was than blown dry and flat ironed with no additional product. It stayed straight for 1 week until I washed it out. A light setting spray was used on my hair at the end when curls were put in, but my hair was soft to the touch and had lots of body. I didn't use any additional Sabino after my hair was dry.

I'm gonna try this SMB again but on WET hair.

I am not going to use setting 10 on the Maxiglide just yet. I am too scare of burning my hair straight. It's been almost 12 months of transitioning and I don't want to burn straight the 4 inches of new growth that I have achieved.

I am about to order Sabino and this was very helpful information. I was wondering the exact steps to take to get the best results.

I am not going to use setting 10 on the Maxiglide just yet. I am too scare of burning my hair straight. It's been almost 12 months of transitioning and I don't want to burn straight the 4 inches of new growth that I have achieved.
Oh, i thought you did put it on wet hair. Def. put it on when still damp. With the maxiglide, i don't think you have to put it to a 10 because the pins and tension on the hair is what makes the difference IMO. I had to put my solia on 400 because I didn't have any tension on it (till I remembered about the brush method). But when I was using my maxiglide, it performed better with the sabino on 5 or 6. Using it on 2 or 3 is ok if you don't use the Sabino but it's not hot enough (at least not for my hair) to really get it straight and keep it that way with the heat protectant on. I use the maxiglide & sabino several times like on those settings and I did not have heat damage issues.

letitgrow0702 You can use either oil or Sabino at the end. I've used both and I prefer oil (coconut) but i know some prefer the sabino.

I totally missed that you did not put this on wet hair.
I am sorry.... Yep - you Gotta do it after rinsing and leave ins....

Using sabino on wet hair proved to be a HUGE difference. I could actually feel the difference on the wet hair....like I was sealing in the AOHSR condish & HE LTR leave in....which I put on soaking wet hair.:grin:

I know that the smb video shows this but I really do think that Sabino would be great for wash & gos for type 4 hair....at least for mine.:yep:

I have no swing at all (second attempt) but I think that is due to my blow drying technique.

I totally missed that you did not put this on wet hair.
I am sorry.... Yep - you Gotta do it after rinsing and leave ins....

Back