Reversing "Protein Damage"

brismom

I think I have gotten to the bottom of my problem. Both my and my daughter's relaxed hair has been crispy for the last two weeks. I couldn't figure out why until now. I think the shampoo has done the damage. We have been using Alberto VO5-Strawberries & Cream Moisture Milks shampoo and conditioner the last couple of times I've been doing our hair. Our hair is so crispy, even my daughter could tell and she usually doesn't think much about how her hair feels. These products used to work but now it's not working. I started using it because it had moisture in the name (I should know better) plus so many on the forum had good results. Oh well! So hwat can I do reverse the dryness and brittleness?

This doesn't sound like protein damage to me. But it does sound like a lack of moisture.

First of all, I prefer to keep pooing to a minimum and do condition washes.

To clarify my hair without damage, I mix up some baking soda in the conditioner or just use baking soda and water and massage it in.

I would recommend you do that same ...to make sure there's no product coating your hair and preventing moisture from entering.

Then after that, deep condition with a heating cap for 20 to 30 minutes (using a good moisturizing conditioner) and you should be good to go.

How often to did you guys use this shampoo by the way? ...and what's the rest of your regimen?

Ithink if you use a good clarifying shampoo like Giovanni's Triple Tea Treat, followed by a good moisturizing conditioner like Elucence your hair should get back to normal. I too experienced hard, dry hair after using Alberto products. I used the Alberto Strawberries and Cream conditioner for conditioning washes and over time my hair became hard and brittle.

From my experience, VO5 shampoos are extremely drying, and their conditioner is too lightweight to yeild any significant results. I think you're stripping your hair and then not putting enough moisture back in... You shoyld try a gentler shampoo like elucence moisture balancing or moisture acidifying and do a deep moisture treatment afterwards.

Conditioner washes dont do well with me, so i use gentle shampoos

If there is an Ulta near you I personnally suggest Mizani Moisturefuse. You could also get Keracare Humecto, Nexxus Humectress and Kenra MC.

What ever you do sit under a dryer or put on a plastic cap for about 30 minutes.

ETA: Euclence is good from all the rantings on this board. However, I think it has to be ordered online.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I'm going to Ulta tomorrow to see what I can find. I'm also going to throw out the V05. I knew that stuff was too good to be true. Such a good price and easy to get.

beana said:
From my experience, VO5 shampoos are extremely drying, and their conditioner is too lightweight to yeild any significant results. I think you're stripping your hair and then not putting enough moisture back in... You shoyld try a gentler shampoo like elucence moisture balancing or moisture acidifying and do a deep moisture treatment afterwards.

Conditioner washes dont do well with me, so i use gentle shampoos

ITA:yep: I only use that shampoo to clarify my hair or on the kids after they get out of the sandbox :lol: For weekly the use, that shampoo is much too stripping- and when you follow it with its matching light weight conditioner, the moisture balance can't be fully restored to your hair. I'd personally go for something SLS/ALS free-- these won't rob moisture from your hair. My favorites are cheapies like Creme of nature red and green label and NTM cream lather shampoo.

I would also suggest what bean said and do a moisturizing deep conditioning with something thick, creamy and rich. The conditioners cherokee named are perfect for this. :yep: The V05 conditioner is an instant conditioner- which simply puts a nice coating or protein and some other conditioning agents on the hair shaft. The effects of it don't carry on too far. It is not heavy enough (too watery)to penetrate for regular deep conditioning. Good luck!

Back