Rethinking Petrolatum

• Thread starter Thread starter cieramichele
  • Start date Start date
C

cieramichele

So I bought a new Joico product. Its Daily care moisturizer treatment for dry hair. I always read everything on the bottle before using it. I guess I just skimmed over it too quick in the store before buying it. I noticed petrolatum on the bottle :sad:. I was like "OH NO! I have to take this back". Then, I looked in other threads concerning this ingredient. Many people have said "it doesnt let moisture get to your hair". Im thinking, well...its locking IN the moisture right? Isnt that a good thing? Isnt that why we seal? Of course I dont want this to get on my scalp. Im a cowashaholic. Wouldnt this help the water content of the hair? I heard many people use vasoline to seal with GREAT RESULTS. This should be as good. And I LOVE Joico :sad:.

Buildup is bad but I wash often. Its not like it builds up to the point where the hair just DOESNT get wet tho.

Your opinion?

If you like it, use it.

I stopped greasing my scalp when I first got here, but now I use grease to seal after my daily cowashes and it works fine for me.

If you like it, use it.

I stopped greasing my scalp when I first got here, but now I use grease to seal after my daily cowashes and it works fine for me.

Pretty much. If there is one thing I have learned from this board is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Everyone has different affinities to different things. Also, one ingredient doesn't alway determine the outcome.

Pretty much. If there is one thing I have learned from this board is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Everyone has different affinities to different things. Also, one ingredient doesn't alway determine the outcome.

:yep: Totally agree. If YOUR hair likes it, run with it!

So I bought a new Joico product. Its Daily care moisturizer treatment for dry hair. I always read everything on the bottle before using it. I guess I just skimmed over it too quick in the store before buying it. I noticed petrolatum on the bottle :sad:. I was like "OH NO! I have to take this back". Then, I looked in other threads concerning this ingredient. Many people have said "it doesnt let moisture get to your hair". Im thinking, well...its locking IN the moisture right? Isnt that a good thing? Isnt that why we seal? Of course I dont want this to get on my scalp. Im a cowashaholic. Wouldnt this help the water content of the hair? I heard many people use vasoline to seal with GREAT RESULTS. This should be as good. And I LOVE Joico :sad:.

Buildup is bad but I wash often. Its not like it builds up to the point where the hair just DOESNT get wet tho.

Your opinion?
girl you already know this answer , do whatever makes your hair happy! yup yup!

My Opinion?

Many of the products that many of the ladies rave about here do contain petroleum or petroleum derived ingredients. Marketers know that we are looking out for "mineral oil", Petroleum, etc.........

So - I guess if it works for you - Congrats!

Girl I rethought Petrolatum a long time ago after I realized that it was one of the ingredients in some of my favorite products. If it works for my hair then I wont stop....i just dont put it on my scalp.:nono:

I agree, if you like it and its working for you, keep using it. I like the analogy of theres more than one way to skin a cat. :grin: I never stopped using the products that work for me. I love receiving the information to be a better, more informed product buyer but sometimes you just have to go with what works.

Back