Results - Trying to come out of braids

NubianQueen

Hi ladies,

This past weekend I removed my two-month old braids and decided to try out my new Ceramic Tools flat iron before the thirty-day return policy wears out. Anyway, I conditioner washed my hair w/Aussie Moist, henna'd my hair with Rainbow Henna, CON shampooed my hair, conditioned with S&S and then New Image Damage Free. Blew it dry with my new ionic blow dryer and my hair was so dry that I thought I must be doing something wrong. I even left it a little damp because I read it would make the flat iron results silkier. My hair laughed heartily at the flat iron. Two, three passes and nothin. Higher and higher heat, NOTHIN! It was frizzy and had balls on the ends. So, I gave up and decided to do bantu knots because I just couldn't call in to work just because my hair wasn't done. They turned out very cute which was such a good thing as I have never done them before.

My problem now is figuring out what to do with my hair. I am transitioning and I thought my second henna treatment would help my texture, but it didn't. Maybe I shouldn't have put so much stuff in the mix. I followed the directions but I also put some sulfur powder in there just because I can't seem to figure out any other use for it. It doesn't dissolve and so I don't put it in my moisturizing spray.

If I can't figure out any styling options, I guess I will have to resort to relaxing again. I have more information on application and mixing relaxers with evoo and liquid protein, so I am not too worried about damage. I don't want to keep braiding it because the take down is so time consuming and I am not sure if it is damaging or not.

I met this lady with bangin hair and she told me she would give me a trim this weekend. If she doesn't, I will do it myself. I think I also need to return that flat iron and get one that gets hotter.

Well, that was my weekend, I went to work with absolutely no sleep because of all the different things I did to my hair and it wasn't cooperating. Not sure if it matters, but all of the products I used were brand new to me. I know it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out ones own holy grail, I just hope my hair doesn't suffer and I don't go broke while I figure out the proper routine.

awwww i'm sorry to hear about that
frown.gif
but anyhows are you deep conditioning, hot oiling, trimming? You should try braidouts between braids that should be a lot better for your hair than the flat iron
smile.gif

Thank you for the empathy,

I am going to get my ends trimmed in a couple of days. I will begin hot oil treatments and deep conditioning. I need to do a search for deep conditioners, because I hadn't thought about adding that to my new routine. I just hope it doesn't take too long to find out what works for my hair.

I may go back to braids but bigger ones since the small individuals are too time consuming and (I think) the take down is causing me too much damage. This way I can keep attaining length until I figure out what to do with my hair. I think once it's waist length it will be easy for me to take care of since I usually wear that length braids.

Thanks for the advice.

My hair is natural and I wear braid extensions also. The only thing that gets my hair super straight is the hot comb which I only do prior to getting my hair rebraided. The last time I got my hair braided I decided to use the flat iron and it did absolutely nothing. In my July 2003 of Essence they advertise a Thermal Straightening System by Organic Root Stimulator which they describe as a alternative to chemical relaxing that gives the look and feel of a relaxer. I'm considering trying this when I ditch the braids for good. Here's the site www.organicrootstimulator.com

[ QUOTE ]
The last time I got my hair braided I decided to use the flat iron and it did absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing here, it always looks like I didn't do anything.

NO WAIT! don't "resort" to relaxing.. you may regret relaxing out of sheer frustration rather than because you want to. That lady with "banging" hair probably went through a lot to to get her hair to look like that.

Remember, time is the best tool when transitioning. I know about the frustration and wanting the hair to hurry up and grow. But I've got a suggestion, if you're interested...

Get a pic of your natural hair inspiration. ANy pic that left you slack-jawed will do, if you don't already have one. It works for me! When I feel the frustration, I look at that pic and smile.

In the meantime, you can

NO WAIT! don't "resort" to relaxing.. you may regret relaxing out of sheer frustration rather than because you want to. That lady with "banging" hair probably went through a lot to to get her hair to look like that.

Remember, time is the best tool when transitioning. I know about the frustration and wanting the hair to hurry up and grow. But I've got a suggestion, if you're interested...

Get a pic of your natural hair inspiration. ANy pic that left you slack-jawed will do, if you don't already have one. It works for me! When I feel the frustration, I look at that pic and smile.

In the meantime, you can

oops..
laugh.gif
I was having computer problems earlier...

I was just gonna say in the meantime, you can find a routine that keep your roots soft. What works now for me is overnight softening: Wetting the hair w/ warm water and adding Feels Like Silk or Kemi Oyl and doing big plaits. In the morning, my hair's soft and I either add gel (to the dried hair) to wear an afropuff phonytail or a regular ponytail (w/ my relaxed endz out). The routine is working well so far.

HTH!

Thanks Laela,

This is my weekend, so my goal is to find something to do with my hair! I bought a different flat iron and so we'll see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't work, I could always rock the bantu knots again.

I always spray my hair at night with my concoction. I have never combed it the next day due to the braids and now knots, so I'll see how this works.

I'll post my findings when my experiment is done. I have a feeling that I will be doing the trial and error thing for quite a while. Maybe, just maybe I'll get lucky and find a hit soon.

Wish me luck!!

NubianQueen, I can feel your pain. I have braids now. I'm not sure I want to go back to relaxing when I take them out for good, but it will be so thick that I'll have to do something. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And Legs, thanks for the info on that ORS thermal straightening product. I didn't see any info for this on the link you provided; maybe I missed it. I don't think I want to rush back to a relaxer and this might be a good alternative.

Ladies I totally agree..I too have braids which I have had for 2 months and will be taking them out this week...I def know i am not going to relax for awhile...but I am so use to my styles with my prior relaxed hair...so basically I am going to be braiding out for as long as possible and seeing how that goes..I actually want to put braids back(the same style/type..because they are easy to manage and I get complimented on how they look all the time..plus again they are very easy to manage with my busy schedule) in but I am worried about my hair line I would hate to have a nice head of hair with a messed up hair line...right now its fine...but I have seen what braids can do to a hair line...so ladies any suggestions for maintaining a hair line?( my braids are not tight so I am good at that end)...other than that I too will be in the style experimenting stage

OH YEAH I HAVE A QUESTION...ABOUT TRIMMING THE ENDS..I WILL HAVE IT DONE PROFESSIONALLY I JUST WANT TO KNOW SHOULD I TRIM THE ENDS ASAP OR WAIT A LITTLE???????-I ABSOLUTLEY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT TRIMMING BECAUSE MY HAIR ALWAYS GREW WHETHER IT WAS TRIMMED OR NOT...NOW I AM JUST TRYING TO GET MY HAIR HEALTHY...SO I GUESS MY QUESTION IS HOW SOON DO I TRIM AND HOW OFTEN THERON AFTER...??????

Back