911 HELP - My Coils Haven't Come Back Yet

LadyPBC: I agree with everyone else; the damage does NOT look bad at all. Your hair still looks thick and curly/kinky. A protein treatment will do the trick imo. Nonetheless, your hair looks pretty from what I can tell.

Last edited:
I think you just need time and to lay off the heat for at least 6 months or more...braids and twists and mild protein from time to time will help.....

Joico Kpax (brown bottle) products is a mild-stronger protiein (not like Aphogee 2 step) that you can mix with a moisturizing shampoo or moisturizing conditioner.

ORS Replenishing Conditioner is another mild protein...but very moisturizing DC that I found helpful....I keep both in rotation and have found them useful in my bounce back from heat damage almost 6 months ago....

This is why I can't bring myself to use a flat iron. So far, I trim my hair in the salon by using a blow dryer only.

Weird, but I prefer a hot comb, heated on a gas stove and a thin paper towel (wet and dry) to test every time I put in on my hair, detangled with a very small toothed comb, small sections with one pass. If I can find a device to record the temperature of the comb before I apply it to my hair I'd buy that too. BTW, this is all talk, but that's how I'd do it...
The coarser the strand the more your hair can revert. Fine hair ladies who don't need a lot of heat to straighten, really don't need a hard press or need to use high temperature.
I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd try ApHogee hard core protein treatments every 6 weeks and in between light proteins in your DC for a while (months) in addition to a no heat regimen (work it out some how). I believe Nexxus Emergence is different from a protein treatment (I'll have to find the thread where we discussed this.)

Stay positive OP, your hair is still beautiful. I got really bad heat damage once and I was so hurt. You don't miss what you have till it's gone. I eventually had to trim away the damage because I hated looking at and dealing with the heat damaged ends. That said, please do not even think about a relaxer. Do not even make it an option. Be patient and positive. I always cut my natural hair while in twists, worked like a charm. I would never get my hair flat-ironed just to trim:nono:. Now if you were staightening because you wanted a change that's a different story, but just to trim? It's not worth the risk. Please keep us updated. You and your hair are going to be fine:yep:.

Last edited:
@ NaturalGyrl5199: Okay..I checked out your pics...you got lucky! Your coils are more loose now....but be fortunate...you don't want the bone-straight thing happening....I think for some (I think like you and me)...we have to be careful because the more heat passes we do, we may be weakening our coil strands more and more until the damage is irreversible....Take it as a lesson learned![/QUOTE]

I washed my hair with a clarifier yesterday. It still looks the same. I'm wondering if it always looked this way?:perplexed The only reason I notice a difference is that when I brush a section of hair with a denman brush my hair normally smooths out and really curls up (then I imagine that I have type 3 hair - of course it doesn't stay that way:lachen:) Now it doesn't it just seems to look like type 4xyz hair. And - the front of my hair is straighter than I've ever seen it but not straight. I am now wondering if it has something to do with all the Jheri Juice I've been using? OR could it be becuz I've been in hibernation for the past 4 months and now I have longer hair and "hang"? I don't think that's it though. All in all I guess I always wanted looser coils I like them okay I guess just wondering what actually caused it. I've only had heat twice (both professionally) since I've been natural so I'd hate to think that I have heat damage already. could there be another reason? I somehow think its tied to the S Curl Moisturizer. Last night I flat twisted with the S Curl Activator Gel and I have a soft curly fro (neve had that before). No real definition but every now and then I see a loosen curl. It's almost like I've gone to type 3c but its frizzy so they (the curls) don't stand out.

Back