Relaxers turning hair brown? And dry?

elite_chiq

Ok people im going to get a relaxer due to the fact that my hars so hard to manage and most the breakage comes from me sitting theres combing each side out an hour a piece. But can you ladies reccomend me a good relaxer? for example i don't want one that turns the hair brown and i don't want one that makes it looks all dry and course. Any suggestions? Oh and also is there any tips for the first time relaxer?

thanx e.c

I don't think it's the type of relaxer per se that will make the hair turn brown. I've noticed this too on my hair. I think it's the chemical and the color change may signify too much chemical (overprocessed) on the hair. That's why it's critical to protect the already relaxed hair to prevent it from becoming overprocessed.

Hi, I just had my first relaxer Dec 2003. I went to the hairdresser to have it done. She did a really good job and I haven't had any problems are burning. She put some type of grease all over my scalp first. She told me that when you get a relaxer you have to make sure you condition your hair regularly. She used Mizani mild relaxer. My hair wasn't dry and course afterwards. I have about 5 inches of new growth already
shocked.gif
! My hair hasn't turned brown its still jet black and very thick and healthy. I decided to get a relaxer for the same reason as you. I kept losing too much hair every time I would comb it. I can manage my hair a lot better now and its not braking off. Hopefully I will have a digital camera soon so I can show progress pics.

I agree with ADB....I also like the Mizani relaxer. My last one was in December...and it left my hair soft and silky. The stylist used the one for sensitive scalp on my hair. I didn't have ANY burning at all.
smile.gif

Coarse is a texture of hair, like some have fine hair or medium hair, coarse is just a texture.

If you mean you don't want your hair feeling dry and brittle, the ladies have given you great tips!

It's also very important to keep your hair moisturized, keep it clean by washing it regularly at least once a week and condition it each time you wash it.

Hope that helps!

Also, one more thing. I read an article about CeCe Winan (female gospel singer) and she mentioned that she gets a semi-permanent color on her hair since relaxers can tend to turn hair brown.

I was born with black hair and my natural hair comes in black or REALLY dark brown--but the minute a relaxer touches it--it seems to lighten to a noticeable dark brown in time....I think that's pretty normal. Most of my friends' hair has lightened a bit with relaxers as well.....

The relaxers don't turn the hair brown. Unfortunately, you absolutely MUST have the neutralizing shampoo to wash the relaxer out and stop the processing and the neutralizing shampoo has peroxide in it. Can we say - bleach????? And since the hair shaft is open already, the peroxide penetrates and removes some of the color from the strand.

e.c.,

No lye relaxers did that to my hair. My hair is black and it turned dark brown/reddish with no lye relaxers. It was also dry. I didn't realize the affect until I stopped using no lye relaxers. I've maintained my natural hair color and have much less dryness and more natural shine since using a lye relaxer.

It's both what GMMP said (re: neutralizing shampoos) and the no lye problem. No lye relaxers leave the hair dry because they don't allow the cuticle to close completely after the relaxing process is finished. That cuticle staying open is what causes hair processed with no-lyes to be drier and lighter at times on some people's hair. The more the cuticle is left open, the further in the shaft the peroxide in the neutralizing shampoo can proceed to do some lightening while it neutralizes. The drying takes place over time as the exposed shaft responds to the lack of protection.

HTH.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
It's both what GMMP said (re: neutralizing shampoos) and the no lye problem. No lye relaxers leave the hair dry because they don't allow the cuticle to close eompletely after the realxing process is finished. That cuticle staying open is what causes hair processed with no-lyes to be drier and lighter at times on some people's hair. The more the cuticle is left open, the further in the shaft the peroxide in the neutralizing shampoo can proceed to do some lightening while it neutralizes. The drying takes place over time as the exposed shaft responds to the lack of protection.

HTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info, Tracy.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
elite_chiq said:
i don't want one that turns the hair brown and i don't want one that makes it looks all dry and course. Any suggestions?
thanx e.c

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I can tell you what not to use. Hawaiian Silky no-lye.
nono.gif
This was my relaxer of choice for about 8 years. By the time I moved to another state and found a stylist who absolutely refused to use it, my hair was as dry as the desert and a brownish/auburn color. My old stylist said this was normal and that all I needed was to start coming in every week for a deep treatment. Translation: more $$$ for her.
mad.gif

BTW: I found out that her $10 deep treatment was diluted cholesterol conditioner and olive oil.
smirk.gif
Nice, but not worth 10 bucks...

She got into a girly scrap with another stylist and she blurted it out to everyone in the salon.
blush.gif

arguing.gif

"I'm a b****? Naw, you the b****! Charging people extra for some watered down Queen Helene and olive oil you get from the dollar store!"

By the look on her face I knew it was true.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
She got into a girly scrap with another stylist and she blurted it out to everyone in the salon.
blush.gif

arguing.gif

"I'm a b****? Naw, you the b****! Charging people extra for some watered down Queen Helene and olive oil you get from the dollar store!"

frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
blush.gif

arguing.gif

frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

...I was born with black hair, but overtime my hair is now shades of brown. My roots start at a dark brown, and as you go down, my hair gets lighter. I do believe this is from relaxers over a period of time. But I have no complaints, I absolutely love my haircolor, and it was all done unintentionally. Everyone swears I have highlights or that I have a color in my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
elite_chiq said:
Ok people im going to get a relaxer due to the fact that my hars so hard to manage and most the breakage comes from me sitting theres combing each side out an hour a piece. But can you ladies reccomend me a good relaxer? for example i don't want one that turns the hair brown and i don't want one that makes it looks all dry and course. Any suggestions? Oh and also is there any tips for the first time relaxer?

thanx e.c

[/ QUOTE ]

Relaxers totally defat the scalp, so don't be surprised at the dryness.

[ QUOTE ]
naomi said:
...I was born with black hair, but overtime my hair is now shades of brown. My roots start at a dark brown, and as you go down, my hair gets lighter. I do believe this is from relaxers over a period of time. But I have no complaints, I absolutely love my haircolor, and it was all done unintentionally. Everyone swears I have highlights or that I have a color in my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use revlon relaxer and over time it has turned my hair reddish brown. I don't have a problem with dryness so it doesn't bother me. It looks like I have highlights too. I actually love my hair color.
grin.gif

My hair is naturally dark brown and over the years of using no-lye, I have auburn "highlights" which I really love. It's most noticeable in the sunlight.

Thank you GodMadeMePretty for that info about the neutralizing shampoo. I didn't know that.

Back