Relaxers contain drain cleaner?!

Posted by Kelli on Hairlista Inc.

This is a question asked time and time again, let's try to answer this question so you can be the judge.

Hair grows on average 1/2 in. per month,in african americans with tightly coiled hair this is sometimes alittle less. but for most 1/2 in. is the average. so if you relax your hair every 6 wks how much new growth do you have? not even a full inch yet,ok what about 8 wks? that is 1 inch of new growth, now ask yourself can this relaxer safely be applied without overlapping or getting on my scalp? when relaxers overlap what happens? breakage, shedding sometimes even hair loss. sometimes the hair can not be recovered because the hair follicle has been so damaged it has died. of course this happens: do you know why? because relaxers contain drain cleaner?, yes drain cleaner the ph used in this chemical is used to unclog drains, so when using this chemical you have to seriously think twice, you should not apply this chemical so frequently because the consequences can be great. there are 2 types on the market sodium hydroxide(lye) &calcium hydroxide (no lye) both are lye don't believe the no-lye myth they both can remove your hair, the only problem with no-lye is that it contains calcium which builds up on the hair shaft and it does not completely relax the hair so some women still suffer from dry, broken hair and they wonder why, it is touted as being more gentle on the scalp, but ask yourself this? Is a relaxer suppose to get on my scalp in the first place?

I myself self use a lye relaxer but I use it with great caution stretching this chemical that can remove my hair off of my head every 14 wks but this time I am going to make it 16 wks now that I do know how to keep my new growth soft for a longer period of time and keep it from shedding. The truth of the matter is I like my relaxed hair I can do all the styles in it that I like, styles that my wavy texture won't allow but I do know how caustic this is and I am trying to stretch this process as long as I can, I hope to get my relaxer touchups one day every 6 months like I have heard some do. the truth is you can have relaxed hair but safely, but relaxing every 6 to 8 weeks is not it, please, please try and stretch that relaxer out atleast to 10 wks or even 12 which is 3 months in that time you have 1 1/2 inches of new growth the liklihood of it touching the new growth becomes greater. always protect your scalp with a base oil and use something on the previously relaxed hair to protect it, I use Affim's protecto or keracare's dry and itchy scalp glossifier. and remember no matter who does your relaxer make sure they don't get it on the scalp and do the neutralizing and conditioning as needed, and you ladies on the board all know about reneutralizing we have already discussed that.

just remember if you are going to use this caustic product use it with care and don't throw caution to the wind, I have seen many women with severe hair loss from applying to frequently and carelessly.

Basics for extending a touchup.

1.After washing the hair, soften the new growth with your moisturizer , part hair in sections and apply.

2. Carefully handle to avoid breakage and shedding

3. Avoid mineral oil or petroleum based products that lock out moisture from your hair.

4. Temporarily straighten the hair to match relaxed hair texture or try the twist out set to extend.

5. Never use a pressing comb or stove top irons, they destroy the hair cuticle.

6. Use products that penetrate and smooth the hair.

I hope these tips do help some of you out there trying to extend your touch-ups.

Some products I do recommend for extending relaxer touchups, I have used these myself so I know they can help.

1. Carmel treatments

2. UBH lotion creme or any moisturizer that does not contain protein , petroleum & min. oil ,when applied on my new growth softens my hair.

3. Jojoba oil or boundless tresses oil- on my scalp to help my hair not to shed. boundless tresses contains sulfur. sulfur keeps hair from shedding, I use to use sulfur 8 for this purpose but it contains petroleum and mineral oil which is great to use when you are basing the scalp to protect you from the chemicals during your touch-up.

4.Try styles that blend the new growth with the relaxed hair braid outs or twist are great for this. or use a flat iron to press out the newgrowth and blend with the relaxed portion of your hair.

I hope this helps those of you looking to extend your touch-ups.

Yep, I knew :yep: are you surprised? Relaxers are serious stuff

Draino contains sodium hydroxide aka lye. Nothing to be mad about, it is what it is.

I've been relaxing this long, not gonna stop now :lol:

I thought this was common knowledge (lye=Drano). No?

OK but seriously, you said "I use to use sulfur 8 for this purpose but it contains petroleum and mineral oil which is great to use when you are basing the scalp to protect you from the chemicals during your touch-up."

Maybe I am not reading this right but it sounds like you are advising people to base their scalps with Sulfur 8 before a touch up. I'm not sure its cool (or safe!) to put sulfur on your scalp then relax it. I'm no chem major (and hopefully one will post here) but I stop using sulfur (BT) one week prior to a relaxer like the instructions on the bottle say to.

OK but seriously, you said "I use to use sulfur 8 for this purpose but it contains petroleum and mineral oil which is great to use when you are basing the scalp to protect you from the chemicals during your touch-up."
Maybe I am not reading this right but it sounds like you are advising people to base their scalps with Sulfur 8 before a touch up. I'm not sure its cool (or safe!) to put sulfur on your scalp then relax it. I'm no chem major (and hopefully one will post here) but I stop using sulfur (BT) one week prior to a relaxer like the instructions on the bottle say to.
Yes, that's very true

Sulfur + Relaxer = :burning:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen: :lachen:

It's too late, we need to go to sleep! :lachen:

Yeah, this is reaaaaaally old news. My mother says when she was young they use to mix LYE/draino & grease, sometimes an egg to straighten their hair. I know scary right?, but people been frying & kunking they head for years with draino.:lachen:

Posted by Kelli on Hairlista Inc.

1.After washing the hair, soften the new growth with your moisturizer , part hair in sections and apply.

2. Carefully handle to avoid breakage and shedding

3. Avoid mineral oil or petroleum based products that lock out moisture from your hair.

4. Temporarily straighten the hair to match relaxed hair texture or try the twist out set to extend.

5. Never use a pressing comb or stove top irons, they destroy the hair cuticle.

6. Use products that penetrate and smooth the hair.

I hope these tips do help some of you out there trying to extend your touch-ups.

Some products I do recommend for extending relaxer touchups, I have used these myself so I know they can help.

1. Carmel treatments

2. UBH lotion creme or any moisturizer that does not contain protein , petroleum & min. oil ,when applied on my new growth softens my hair.

3. Jojoba oil or boundless tresses oil- on my scalp to help my hair not to shed. boundless tresses contains sulfur. sulfur keeps hair from shedding, I use to use sulfur 8 for this purpose but it contains petroleum and mineral oil which is great to use when you are basing the scalp to protect you from the chemicals during your touch-up.

4.Try styles that blend the new growth with the relaxed hair braid outs or twist are great for this. or use a flat iron to press out the newgrowth and blend with the relaxed portion of your hair.

I hope this helps those of you looking to extend your touch-ups.

Wait a minute...aren't you the same poster w/ the 100% sulfur mix from this thread :crazy: ?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=296311&page=5

Please do not deliberately give misinformation that will burn the hair off someone's head

Last edited:

Yes, that's very true

Sulfur + Relaxer = :burning:
:giggle:

I'm just gonna keep it 100. I wouldn't follow any of DP's hair tips/advice. Sorry. No I'm not, just stating how I feel. :badcop:

Okay, so I haven't been relaxed in forever, but I also don't get Tip #5. How do pressing combs destroy the hair cuticle on new growth?

Plus, doesn't everything just about destroy the hair cuticle anyway?

Okay, so I haven't been relaxed in forever, but I also don't get Tip #5. How do pressing combs destroy the hair cuticle on new growth?

Plus, doesn't everything just about destroy the hair cuticle anyway?
:nono: Don't even bother...

ya'll are so funny!!! :lachen:

I did some research on this right before I quit perming my hair last year and perms contain all kind of chemicals. :yep:

Forgive me, but prior to taking the time to research the products I was using on my head, I didn't know perms contained the same ingredient used in draino. Perms also carry the same ingredient found in Nair (hair remover) and household cleaners.:blush: Some studies have also correlated the frequent use of perms in African American women with cancer. :blush:But then again, don't they say a lot of things cause cancer???

I elected to stop using perms because at the time I wasn't knowledgeable enough to safely use them & my hair was evidence of my lack of knowledge. :wallbash:Since that time, i have been steadily learning about how to care for my natural hair (thanks to LHCF) and would do the same thing if I elected to go back to relaxers.

I think the most important thing is to know how to properly care for you hair no matter what you do or do not put in it. I think the OP was just trying to let other people know the same thing. :rolleyes:

all stated imho.

Yeah, this is reaaaaaally old news. My mother says when she was young they use to mix LYE/draino & grease, sometimes an egg to straighten their hair. I know scary right?, but people been frying & kunking they head for years with draino.:lachen:

Am i the only one who does not think this is SCARY!:nono::nono: Our poor scalps!

Yes they do. They contain the same chemical that is found in Draino. Will that stop people from using them? Nope.

Last edited:
We live in an age where chemicals are the norm, as long as you use them properly there fine. If you allow chemicals to scare you off you won't use anything. Fruit juices and Johnsons baby products have cancer inducing chemicals in them too

ya'll are so funny!!! :lachen:

I did some research on this right before I quit perming my hair last year and perms contain all kind of chemicals. :yep:

Forgive me, but prior to taking the time to research the products I was using on my head, I didn't know perms contained the same ingredient used in draino. Perms also carry the same ingredient found in Nair (hair remover) and household cleaners.:blush: Some studies have also correlated the frequent use of perms in African American women with cancer. :blush:But then again, don't they say a lot of things cause cancer???

I elected to stop using perms because at the time I wasn't knowledgeable enough to safely use them & my hair was evidence of my lack of knowledge. :wallbash:Since that time, i have been steadily learning about how to care for my natural hair (thanks to LHCF) and would do the same thing if I elected to go back to relaxers.

I think the most important thing is to know how to properly care for you hair no matter what you do or do not put in it. I think the OP was just trying to let other people know the same thing. :rolleyes:

all stated imho.

Neither did I. Ppl will continue to use them though because thats just the world we live in. I knew that there was all kinds of horrible things in there but This is my first time hearin about draino. Thanks for the info OP.

I remember HEARING this once before, but i doubt it maybe it has the same ingredients probably:look:something in it it burns like **** drano(acit)

Back