Relaxer ?

aivonfay

Does anyone not follow the time that is recomended for the relaxer to be left on your hair?

The reason I ask is because my hair is very coarse and resistant. I think I'm hair type 4n-z!!! I used to use super strength relaxers and had to go over the time limits. My mother-in-law informed me that it's not good to use super, so I've started to use regular. My last relaxer was Vitale lye and I followed the time recomended and my hair did not take at all.

I must add that I self relax now, but I've had the same experience at the salon. Hence the reason I don't go to salons anymore. They always used regular and followed the timing, but my hair never fully relaxed.

So ladies let me know if you've had a similar experience.

Thanks

You have to do a strand test on your hair in the most resistant area, that will definately tell you how long it takes to process YOUR HAIR, if you are having a hard time distributing it than you may want to relax your hair in sections, there is someone here that have instructions in their album, I'll try to find it for you and post it, this allows you more time with that area to allow it to process correctly w/o over processing or under processing another section if you try to do the entire head.

EDTA= Londondiva has the instructions in her album. HTH's
aivonfay said:
Does anyone not follow the time that is recomended for the relaxer to be left on your hair?

The reason I ask is because my hair is very coarse and resistant. I think I'm hair type 4n-z!!! I used to use super strength relaxers and had to go over the time limits. My mother-in-law informed me that it's not good to use super, so I've started to use regular. My last relaxer was Vitale lye and I followed the time recomended and my hair did not take at all.

I must add that I self relax now, but I've had the same experience at the salon. Hence the reason I don't go to salons anymore. They always used regular and followed the timing, but my hair never fully relaxed.

So ladies let me know if you've had a similar experience.

Thanks

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to try to stretch your relaxer to at least 10 weeks to make sure you have a good amount of new growth and the try to relax your hair with the super strength at the correct time setting. i used to think my hair wasn't taking the relaxer well but i think it was just too overprocessed.

This is the reason I texturize. My hair takes 30 min to be bone straight with a super strength relaxer. I just gave up on trying to wear it straight. I am tired of fighting my hair. :swordfigh Now I go with what it agrees to. :antlers:

if you tried Mizani regular lye and stuck to the 15mins...i'd guarantee u that your hair will be straight. mizani works super fast and gives great results.

Queenie said:
This is the reason I texturize. My hair takes 30 min to be bone straight with a super strength relaxer. I just gave up on trying to wear it straight. I am tired of fighting my hair. :swordfigh Now I go with what it agrees to. :antlers:

Thanks for answering, I was starting to think I was the only one.

Thats basically what I've been doing, I think. Since the relaxer doesn't completly straighten my hair, It just loosens the curl a bit!

I"m in the exact same boat! I have always used super, but I tried the Vitale Life and Body last time and loved it. The only problem was that my hair didn't really take. I don't like my hair bone straight, but the relaxed part from last time looks like new growth right now, which is not cool. I don't think it's underprocessed, since it doesn't frizz and isn't dry, but it's still a little coarser than I like. I dont' really want to do Super again, but I don't want to overprocess with the regular. Dilemma!

Mizani_Mrs said:
if you tried Mizani regular lye and stuck to the 15mins...i'd guarantee u that your hair will be straight. mizani works super fast and gives great results.

Not on my hair. I put it on for 20 min to texturize! :ohwell:

JewelleNY said:
My suggestion would be to try to stretch your relaxer to at least 10 weeks to make sure you have a good amount of new growth and the try to relax your hair with the super strength at the correct time setting. i used to think my hair wasn't taking the relaxer well but i think it was just too overprocessed.

OK right now I am battling with my beautician because she doesn't think I should stretch my relaxers 10 weeks and I want to stretch to 12 weeks. I have been stretching my relaxers since May 2005 and I have definitely noticed healthier hair and I really want to make it to 12 weeks. But she is right my hair does start shedding a lot around 8 1/2 weeks. Has anyone experienced this?

IMO, This totally varies according to hair thickess & coarseness...
I'm transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed, and this past time I left Motions Regular on for 30 minutes, and I have a LOT of my curl pattern left...it's just a little looser...if you didn't know better, you'd think I hadn't had a relaxer at all, but I can tell when I run my fingers through it.
So I definitely think you have to time it according to the density and thickness of your hair.

planodiva said:
OK right now I am battling with my beautician because she doesn't think I should stretch my relaxers 10 weeks and I want to stretch to 12 weeks. I have been stretching my relaxers since May 2005 and I have definitely noticed healthier hair and I really want to make it to 12 weeks. But she is right my hair does start shedding a lot around 8 1/2 weeks. Has anyone experienced this?

My hair starts shedding a lot around 6-8 weeks also, that's why I decided to put my hair in twists and braids for about 3 months. That way I won't have to relax it so often and just give my hair a break.

Back