Relaxer touch ups and hair washing

LondonDiva

Have any of you ladies on here washed your hair too close to your relaxer touch up? I have done it like a day before or something like that and nothing untoward was different with the relaxing process for me. I never experienced any excessive burning or anything like that. The thing is, my work is so hectic and I've started going to the sports club and just won't have enough time to undo my braids (without extensions) and then wait for a lengthy period before doing them again. I planned my re-touch for Sunday.

What do you guys advise I do. If I wash my hair it will be tomorrow afternoon and I will be giving myself a deep conditioning also. I'll save the deep protein conditioning till after the relaxer has been done. Because I've been OK doing this in the past should I carry on or wait for the "advised" time period of 2 days?

I think it depends on how you rub your scalp. My old stylist once told me that if you rinse your scalp with cold water for about one to two minutes then it shouldn't be a problem because it closes the pores. If I may, how often do you get touch ups? It seems like you haven't had a touch up since I've known you.

Londondiva, unless I'm reading your post wrong, are you going to get a touch-up a few days after taking your braids out? If so, from what I've heard that may be more of a concern rather than washing your hair. Braids allegedly make your scalp a little more tender than usual and it makes the hair weaker too. So relaxing so soon after taking them out may not be a good idea. Once again, this is info that I read and not my own personal experience.

Rayne

I have braids in my hair without extensions which I've had in and washed every 2 days since November 3rd. There is no tension on my scalp as I have plenty of regrowth and the hair is loose from frequent washing.

Hi London Diva! I have a girlfriend who has braids and a relaxer. She takes her briads out...bases her scalp and wears a head wrap for a day(protect the scalp) then she gets her relaxer. She has gorgeous thick hair and it is really growing. When I wore braids I used to relax mine right after taking my briads down and my ULTRAsensitive hair never suffered from it.
HTH

LondonDiva, if it's any help, I used to undo my braids and relax in the same weekend. My hair didn't suffer from doing this. I did this when I kept them in for 3 months at a time. Just make sure to deep condition after your relaxer.

Back