Relaxer to cornrows... How long would U wait in between?

Charlie555

I need a little help. I have been on the fence for the last 25 weeks trying to decide if I was stretching or transitioning. Well I am going to relax later this week. I would like to wear my hair straight for about a week after I relax and then go back to protective styling under my wigs. Is one week enough time to go back to wearing my hair in cornrows after a relaxer. Or should I wait longer? By the way I have it braided in a swirl/beehive pattern. And my friend doesn't braid really tight. I don't want to stretch longer because of the breakage that is trying to set in at the demarcation line despite the moisture I add and taking garlic supplements.

TIA

You sound just like me! I've been between stretching and transitioning for the last 5 months. Now I'm taking out my braids and wanting to relax.

BUMPING!

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I don't quite understand why you are going to relax and then go back into PSing only one week after relaxing...you said despite the moisture you add it is still breaking, so I can only assume you're not big on protein treatments? Why don't you try a hardcore protein treatment, get a press (or flat iron it) to wear it straight for a week and THEN get your cornrows?

I believe you should wait about 2 or more weeks b4 putting braids back unto your hair after you relaxer b/c of the weakness of the hair. Also if you wait until the new growth comes in the braider will have a better grip (not tighter) and it would last longer.

You sound just like me! I've been between stretching and transitioning for the last 5 months. Now I'm taking out my braids and wanting to relax.

BUMPING!

I just can't stay off the creamy crack! LOL I wanted to wait until I reached my goal but thats way too long (hopefully later this year)!

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I don't quite understand why you are going to relax and then go back into PSing only one week after relaxing...you said despite the moisture you add it is still breaking, so I can only assume you're not big on protein treatments? Why don't you try a hardcore protein treatment, get a press (or flat iron it) to wear it straight for a week and THEN get your cornrows?

I'm scared of hardcore protein I have seen way to many disasters. I use ORS hair mayo every few weeks. I get my protein through my diet.

Back in the day I use to relax and get braids in the same day! And, I still managed to have long hair(past SL).

To answer your question, I really think you should wait at least 2 weeks depending on the condition of your hair. Of course the relaxer will weaken your hair and you have to rebuild your strands again by incorporation protein.

Why are you scared of hardcore protein treatments? Was it something you or someone you know that experienced bad results?

I'm scared of hardcore protein I have seen way to many disasters. I use ORS hair mayo every few weeks. I get my protein through my diet.
Am I right in assuming you are 25 weeks post? If so, then you have the necessary new growth for that braider to get a good grip...which is why I am confused as to why you wanna interfere with that. Where have you seen these disasters? I am not relaxed so talk about the blind leading the blind, but I believe many of our long-haired relaxed LHCF sisters incorporate a hard protein into their regimens to keep away the very problems you are talking about.

Am I right in assuming you are 25 weeks post? If so, then you have the necessary new growth for that braider to get a good grip...which is why I am confused as to why you wanna interfere with that. Where have you seen these disasters? I am not relaxed so talk about the blind leading the blind, but I believe many of our long-haired relaxed LHCF sisters incorporate a hard protein into their regimens to keep away the very problems you are talking about.

I have read so many post from ladies who experienced protein over load here and seen the clips on YouTube. I always thought hard protien was for severly damaged hair. I think I'm just going to hold off on the relaxer until summer and continue with the PS styling. Or if I do relax I will brush my hair into a wrap under my wigs & put on my fitted satin stretchy cap that way I won't have to braid it :)
I'm so undecided I think I will just think it through for a week before I make any decisions.

The original poster has reason to be cautious...I am one of the very people she's alluded to who would have a train wreck on their hands if they followed your advice and did a hard protein treatment.

ive experienced protein overload, it is single handedly the worst thing i've ever gone through with my hair and i wouldnt wish that setback on anyone...

at 25 weeks into my last 26 week stretch, adding protein to my hair like you suggest would have resulted in more breakage. moisture is what i needed.

everything isnt for everybody and there arent blanket answers to repairing breakage...one persons salvation could be another person's disaster.

a protein/moisture balance is what we all need.....so you have to know where you are on that spectrum before figuring out what needs to be added/taken away to reach an equillibrium.

just thought id throw that first hand perspective out there since you seemed unclear on why she was being weary. :look:

thank you for sharing this! :) even more reason to be weary of hard core protein. This is exactly what I am terrified of happenng. I already deep condition once a week. I'm going to try doing it twice a week and see where that takes me.

The original poster has reason to be cautious...I am one of the very people she's alluded to who would have a train wreck on their hands if they followed your advice and did a hard protein treatment.

ive experienced protein overload, it is single handedly the worst thing i've ever gone through with my hair and i wouldnt wish that setback on anyone...

at 25 weeks into my last 26 week stretch, adding protein to my hair like you suggest would have resulted in more breakage. moisture is what i needed.

everything isnt for everybody and there arent blanket answers to repairing breakage...one persons salvation could be another person's disaster.

a protein/moisture balance is what we all need.....so you have to know where you are on that spectrum before figuring out what needs to be added/taken away to reach an equillibrium.

just thought id throw that first hand perspective out there since you seemed unclear on why she was being weary. :look:

and this is why we ask questions...to learn. :yep:

thanks for sharing...hope you have recovered nicely from your setback!

Back