relaxer stretching and dominican salon question

Glamorous_chic

hi everyone!! i just realized that i haven't had a retouch since the end of oct. which, is the longest i've gone in a long long time. i'm thinking about waiting until the begining or the end of feb. which will make it between 12-16 weeks post last relaxer before going for my next retouch. i've been going to the dominican salons and getting the hair vitamins to help prevent breakage, so i don't really have a line of demarcation, b/c my hair is extreamly straight when i leave. so, my question is, since i'm trying to stretch longer than usual, do i still have to worry about breakage due to the difference in textures? and does anyone know if there would be benefits in getting the deep conditioners and hair vitamins versus getting one or the other or any other tips to keep my hair from breaking off due to the heat? thanks for any help.

You DO have a line of demarcation whether or not it is apparent. You have hair that is relaxed, and hair that is your natural growth. Moisturizing deep conditioners would be beneficial to your hair. What hair vitamins are you taking?

okay, thanks. that's the part i was confused about, was even though when i leave the salon my hair is straight, if the line of demarcation still existed. i take hair vitamins by mouth, but the salon i go to also applies strengthening hair vitamins to the hair before rollersetting. so, knowing that, i'll probably try to get a retouch at 12 weeks then.

Are they using heat to straighten your hair? If so then yes, your hair is going to appear straight because of that. Kudos to you for stretching thus far but you dont want to slack on conditioning the hair and strengthening the line of demarcation.

yes, they use heat to straighten the hair. they don't use flat irons like some of the other salons, they straighten it using the blow dryers. that's why i was wondering since it appears straight does the line exist, which it apparently still does. they do still condition it, but i was wondering if i should do the deep conditioner and the hair vitamins or one or the other. i've been doing sometimes the deep conditioner and sometimes the hair vitamins, but was considering doing both.

Hiiii Glamorous Chic,

plz plz plz be mindful of the direct heat (blowdrying). make sure they use a heat protectant because if they don't, over time the hair will break at the line of demarcation. i know what it's like not to see it but it's there. one lady told me to make that i dc every wash after i had been doing it for 14 months and that's what helped me go from sl to apl to bsl...are they blowing the roots or ur entire head ( i'm assuming they roller set u first)? I would say do both - dc and vits.HTH

Back