Relaxer Recs for 4a/b Hair

20Pearls_Girl

Ladies,

I am ready to relax again but I will only self relax going forward. With that said, what relaxers do you recommened and why? I am thinking about using an entire system like Keracare but I can't find the Keracare relaxer online. I don't really trust the Asian BSS stores ones so that's out (somewhat) unless someone knows a decent BSS in the Atlanta or DC Metro area.

What about Phyto II?

Any others???

This lady with beautiful hair that I met the other day said that Mizani (I think that's the name) butter blend is really good. She said that she will only recommend it for people with thick hair though.

Do you know if she uses all of the Mizani products?

This lady with beautiful hair that I met the other day said that Mizani (I think that's the name) butter blend is really good. She said that she will only recommend it for people with thick hair though.

Mizani Butter Blends is fantastic! I also like the supporting products, especially the chelating shampoo. If you have fine or color treated hair then you could use the mild formulation.

Your hair is nice and lush. I may try it if I can't find Keracare.
Mizani Butter Blends is fantastic! I also like the supporting products, especially the chelating shampoo. If you have fine or color treated hair then you could use the mild formulation.

My stylist uses the Mizani Butter Blends Relaxer and I love it. I use (mostly) all KeraCare products at home to maintain and it works well for me. For whatever reason, my hair responded to the KeraCare products (shampoo, cream dress, etc.) better than most of the Mizani products. Good luck!

i loved butter blends when my stylist used it on me. im really thinking about investing in the system and taking the plunge into self relaxing.

I'm type 4. Affirm Creme Relaxer for Coarse and Resistant Hair. I have never burned using it, which is the ONLY relaxer to never burn me. It does not dry my hair out. And ever since I have started using it consistently, no tangles and no matting.

Ok so Mizani Butter Blends seem to be the top dog. Is this a BSS brand? I am really trying to stay out of the Asian BSS.

There's one rec. for Affirm. Are there other Affirm users?

I'm type 4. Affirm Creme Relaxer for Coarse and Resistant Hair. I have never burned using it, which is the ONLY relaxer to never burn me. It does not dry my hair out. And ever since I have started using it consistently, no tangles and no matting.

I really love affirm. I understand the want to use a whole line but you never know if a line is going to give you what your hair needs. seriously I think you should just look for staples for your hair type get a good perm and then build around that. I love affirm, to accompany that I lve cheapie suave as a moisturizer and coconut oil or hot six oil to seal. These are all products you can get at you local beauty supply store. I use affirm moisturizing conditioner and ors hair mayo. What is your hair like?

I didn't know so many type 4s liked Mizani Butter Blends. I'm trying to figure out my next relaxer too (4a here!), I need something to straighten out my coils! I'll look into this.

I'm transitioning now but I like Mizani Fortifying "Rhelaxer". It straightened my hair and didn't burn. It's a little pricey compared to other relaxers but well worth it.:yep:

I really love affirm. I understand the want to use a whole line but you never know if a line is going to give you what your hair needs. seriously I think you should just look for staples for your hair type get a good perm and then build around that. I love affirm, to accompany that I lve cheapie suave as a moisturizer and coconut oil or hot six oil to seal. These are all products you can get at you local beauty supply store. I use affirm moisturizing conditioner and ors hair mayo. What is your hair like?

I have wiry, coarse, resistant hair. I used Mizani several times (not the Butter Blends though...I was tempted to use it when it first came out, especially after so many great reviews) but my hair dried out everytime I used it, and was a tangled mess. As soon as I switched to Affirm Conditioning Creme Relaxer, my hair improved. I also use the Affirm Positive Link Protein Treatment, which is designed to be used directly after rinsing out the relaxer, but before neutralizing. This is a keeper for me.

Do you know if she uses all of the Mizani products?

She actually said that she uses only mizani products and they helped her hair grow real long and thick (she use to have really short and damaged hair she said)

I heard good things about affirm too. I'm thinking about switching my relaxer up now lol. I want to try affirm. I'm using some shea butter relaxer (dominican product I think) and it works fine.

I am leaning towards the Phyto II but I head that its hard to rinse out.

Now I am hearing that the Mizani is not strong enough with course hair.

Then someone said Affirm is too drying.

Uggh this is too much.

bumping for suggestions on a new relaxers too.....I am 10 week post
(lawd it's time)

Tell me more about this one.
She actually said that she uses only mizani products and they helped her hair grow real long and thick (she use to have really short and damaged hair she said)

I heard good things about affirm too. I'm thinking about switching my relaxer up now lol. I want to try affirm. I'm using some shea butter relaxer (dominican product I think) and it works fine.

The big jar that it comes in is pretty plain. I don't remember the exact name but, I remember that it said shea butter on it. My stylist does it for me and I never feel any burns. I remember when I was scratching my head one day and I kept saying sorry and oops to myself because I forgot I was relaxing the next day well, I honestly didn't feel any burns.

It's really gentle and I haven't noticed any dryness with my hair. Only recently I had someone else relax the front of my hair and put a sew-in in the back of my hair and this is why I am having hair problems now.

ETA

PL3212SA.jpg
I think this is it..

Last edited:
Oh wow! I didn't know that was an alter ego relaxer. Yea that's defintely it and she just recently switched to alter ego products so it all makes sense. Everyone at that salon has beautiful hair, very full, thick, healthy looking. Hmm...I need to go back to my salon asap! lol

I am leaning towards the Phyto II but I head that its hard to rinse out.

Now I am hearing that the Mizani is not strong enough with course hair.

Then someone said Affirm is too drying.

Uggh this is too much.

I read almost every single thread about relaxer recommendations. And it confused the hell out of me too.

Read this article about whether Lye or No-lye Chemical Relaxers are better.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/352470/is_lye_or_nolye_chemical_relaxing_better.html?cat=69

Also, try to think back to the previous relaxers you've had in the past. Try to remember when your hair behaved the best, the worst, etc... We may all have type 4 hair, and make recommendations based on that similarity, but our individual heads of hair are still all unique.

The best thing that worked for me was to try something that seemed promising, and I paid close attention while tracking the effects it had on MY hair. That will eliminate the confusion, 'cause you'll be making an opinion based on your own experience and the effects it has on YOUR hair.

Plus, the combination of other products makes a difference: clarifiers, protein, moisture, porosity, etc.... so pay attention to the effects of those too.

I use Mizani for sensative scalps. Its the best relaxer for me. It never burns. I used to use Affirm but I think it was a little to harsh.

I have had success with mizani relaxers and the design essentials relaxers too. Mizani is stronger but both straighten well with proper application.

I have actually recently switched relaxers though. I am now using Hawaiian silky no mix nolye relaxer and loving it.

When I was relaxing and did it myself, I used to use Dark & Lovely Excelle regular. That was my primary relaxer and I loved the results. Now it is called

I also used Motions Mild because it was lye vs. a no-lye. I like it but not as much as the D&L.

My stylist uses Affirm. It was ok to me.

If I were still doing relaxers myself, I think I'd still do the D&L.
Optimum Care. I would choose the Optimum Care Bodifying Relaxer Mild.

I use Phytorelaxer Index II w/excellent results.. I love it because I experience no burning whatsoever and I do it myself. Also I get a professional job every time and it has a color signal that tells you when it properly neutralized. So I say Phyto Index II

I've been using Mizani for years and it straightens but my aunt says it'll eventually dry your hair out so I guess that's why they developed butter blends. But for my last relaxer I tried Elasta Op(regular version). It was sugessted by my friend and it works great and it's lye. It can be bought at Sallys. And my aunt ( my beautician) said it worked really well on me.

Thanks LE,

In reflection, my hair responded best to Bantu. From various opinions, that has to be the worst relaxer around, but it did the trick. All of the stylist claimed that it was so harsh but it was good to me.....so I may try it again. I haven't used it in years. Just might be back on the Bantu bandwagon.

I read almost every single thread about relaxer recommendations. And it confused the hell out of me too.

Read this article about whether Lye or No-lye Chemical Relaxers are better.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/352470/is_lye_or_nolye_chemical_relaxing_better.html?cat=69

Also, try to think back to the previous relaxers you've had in the past. Try to remember when your hair behaved the best, the worst, etc... We may all have type 4 hair, and make recommendations based on that similarity, but our individual heads of hair are still all unique.

The best thing that worked for me was to try something that seemed promising, and I paid close attention while tracking the effects it had on MY hair. That will eliminate the confusion, 'cause you'll be making an opinion based on your own experience and the effects it has on YOUR hair.

Plus, the combination of other products makes a difference: clarifiers, protein, moisture, porosity, etc.... so pay attention to the effects of those too.

I have plans to use the Mizani butter blends when I relax later on this year. I called a local salon and they stated that they use the system. If I decide to relax, I will probably go with Mizani due to hearing so many raves about it.

Last edited:
I have to be honest with yall, I don't think there has ever been an "at home" relaxer that I've liked...I'm talking my whole life!!!! I always hated getting a relaxer. One lady (a relative) relaxed me so harshly that when I wrapped my hair that night and went to unwrap it the next morning, I couldn't even unwrap it all the way b/c a lot of my hair got stuck in the scabs that were forming on my scalp :nono:

That was THE LAST time anyone else has EVER relaxed my head! I'm a DIYer unless it's a PROFESSIONAL that I really trust!

Having said all that, the most pleasant relaxer I've ever had was at an Egyptian salon. Whatever they used on me, it got cold instead of burning and it relaxed really well.

I have no clue what that was. But if any ladies know of a relaxer that gets cold instead of burning then that is what I will use next time.

I just read earlier that Sweetcashew uses Elasta QP ( http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=88493 ). I LOVE her hair and if I stay relaxed, her hair will be my goal. :yep: So I will look more into that.

Back