Relaxer AFTER BKT?

afrometa

Hello ladies!

I've been a lurker for about a year now, and subscribed today because I'm struggling with something that I couldn't find information about anywhere!

I got my first BKT done last Sunday, and washed it out Wednesday as per the stylist's instructions. I think it might have been the Coppola 2%. After wash, I tried to blow dry/flatiron in order to straighten - and there was barely any difference! When I called back the salon said they'd do it for me again, but my aunt pointed out that if they were offering to do it again so readily then they clearly had done something wrong. I'm nervous that they don't know how to handle Afro-caribbean hair, since they looked a little shocked when I walked in their pre-BKT with my afro.

A little info about myself: I last relaxed in April of 2010, transitioned with wigs/weaves, and cut off my relaxed ends earlier this June. I tried the Ouidad product line for a while, and it did wonders for defining my curls, but as a girl who's rocked SL hair for most of my life it was also incredibly hard on me to work with such short hair. I took to wearing wigs again, and then decided I'd get the BKT.

Now that the BKT hasn't worked out, I'm wondering if I should just go back to relaxer. I wouldn't mind rocking a huge fro, but I'm around 4 years away from that and on a college campus that doesn't cater to my supplying needs. I wore braids up until I relaxed in 9th grade - six years ago - and now I'm struggling to find an answer for myself.

So can I relax after the BKT? Or should I go looking for a wig again?

Thanks so much, and sorry for the long post!

I am in the same boat that you are in. My keratin treatment didn't do a thing after I washed it myself. I also asked this question on the boards last week. I didn't really get a clear response. My stylist told me that I can do whatever I want to do with my hair in 4 months so I'm waiting until then.

I would make sure that the treatment has worn completely off before putting another chemical in your hair. I would be scared there could be a bad reaction having both chemicals in your hair. In the mean time just take extra good care of your hair & stay on top of your moisture & protein balance. Maybe wigs/braids would be a nice option while you wait for it to wear off.

I tried the Organix BKT back in May of this year. The first time my hair just laughed at the treatment. So I did it again 2 weeks later & it loosened the curl up a little bit. But to me it didn't do enough to go through all those hours of blow drying & flat ironing for those results.

I want to go back to texturizing/texlaxing but there are a few areas where it hasn't worn off yet, even though it's supposed to last only 30 days. So I will wait until it's gone before I texturize.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thanks for answering!

My only problem is, I have two days to figure out what I'm going to do with my hair, and the wig is not an option any more. I can either weave or relax - I know that there's speculation, but does anyone know for sure what happens if I put the relaxer on over the hair?

Let it be!

when you say nothing happened, do you mean your hair wasn't easier to detangle? Or was it not straight?
Remember, the only thing a BKT does to hair is add a layer of Keratin (protein) on the hair strand, and makes the strand thicker and stronger, yet it should have more slip and be easier to detangle...

Now you may have used a low-formaldehyde containing BKT...which is good, but doesn't take as well depending on your hair type. It sounds like you had one like mine, where you wash it out after the 3rd or 4th day....But...Did you wash it out with a SULFATE-free shampoo? Because that will wash the keratin right on out!

Mine came with its own Shampoo and conditioner for before and after....so I used that....The stylist should have provided you with the special shampoo or told you which one to buy specifically for Keratin-Treated hair...so that can be a reason it didn't take....

My last question is did you make the mistake of thinking the BKT is a "straightener"? because its not designed to do that. Remember...its just adds keratin to the hair...making it stronger, easier to detangle, have more slip, etc...Yes heat is required to bond it to the hair, thus, you get a "press" in the process, but once its washed out, yes your hair will revert.....What I did was have my friend do my BKT (I was instructed not to get my hair wet, when I workout, blow-dry the sweat, etc, etc), then on day 5, I went to the salon to have it washed with the special shampoo and conditioner, and she blew my hair out and pressed it...After 2 weeks of enjoying my blow-out and press I washed it out (with a sulfate-free shampoo I usually use) and was back rocking my twists, braids, twist-outs, etc....My hair was not as thick though, and very easy to detangle, but still curly/coily, etc....lots of slip too...

-Sooo...No don't relax...you're natural now, so why go back?
-Give it time....Get another BKT with a slightly stronger strength...But that may cause for more formalin (type of formaldehyde) which you may not like....I used a full strength.
-or get a second opinion....but find a salon in your area that does BKT's on Black women's hair routinely....thats where I go for all my presses, blow-outs, and I think I'll let her do my next BKT-but only cause my friend is busy........HTH....

Hello ladies!

I've been a lurker for about a year now, and subscribed today because I'm struggling with something that I couldn't find information about anywhere!

I got my first BKT done last Sunday, and washed it out Wednesday as per the stylist's instructions. I think it might have been the Coppola 2%. After wash, I tried to blow dry/flatiron in order to straighten - and there was barely any difference! When I called back the salon said they'd do it for me again, but my aunt pointed out that if they were offering to do it again so readily then they clearly had done something wrong. I'm nervous that they don't know how to handle Afro-caribbean hair, since they looked a little shocked when I walked in their pre-BKT with my afro.

A little info about myself: I last relaxed in April of 2010, transitioned with wigs/weaves, and cut off my relaxed ends earlier this June. I tried the Ouidad product line for a while, and it did wonders for defining my curls, but as a girl who's rocked SL hair for most of my life it was also incredibly hard on me to work with such short hair. I took to wearing wigs again, and then decided I'd get the BKT.

Now that the BKT hasn't worked out, I'm wondering if I should just go back to relaxer. I wouldn't mind rocking a huge fro, but I'm around 4 years away from that and on a college campus that doesn't cater to my supplying needs. I wore braids up until I relaxed in 9th grade - six years ago - and now I'm struggling to find an answer for myself.

So can I relax after the BKT? Or should I go looking for a wig again?

-I gave myself the organix bkt on the 9th of this month, and I relaxed on the 20th. I wanted to wait longer but my roots were so dry. My hair shedded a bit; however, it feels good just as it did after the BKT. When I got my BKT it lenghtned and smoothed my hair. I was trying to get a mild relaxer, but I think the amount of activator added by the guy at the beauty supply was more than I needed, and my hair straightened rather quickly, which wasn't a problem. My hair's not shedding crazily as it was before I received the BKT, and is still smooth. My beautician paid close attention to putting it on my roots though. Hope I've covered everything. Let me know if you have any questions about my process.
Thanks so much, and sorry for the long post!

I am in the same boat that you are in. My keratin treatment didn't do a thing after I washed it myself. I also asked this question on the boards last week. I didn't really get a clear response. My stylist told me that I can do whatever I want to do with my hair in 4 months so I'm waiting until then.

Why 4 months?

Let it be!

when you say nothing happened, do you mean your hair wasn't easier to detangle? Or was it not straight?
Remember, the only thing a BKT does to hair is add a layer of Keratin (protein) on the hair strand, and makes the strand thicker and stronger, yet it should have more slip and be easier to detangle...

Now you may have used a low-formaldehyde containing BKT...which is good, but doesn't take as well depending on your hair type. It sounds like you had one like mine, where you wash it out after the 3rd or 4th day....But...Did you wash it out with a SULFATE-free shampoo? Because that will wash the keratin right on out!

Mine came with its own Shampoo and conditioner for before and after....so I used that....The stylist should have provided you with the special shampoo or told you which one to buy specifically for Keratin-Treated hair...so that can be a reason it didn't take....

My last question is did you make the mistake of thinking the BKT is a "straightener"? because its not designed to do that. Remember...its just adds keratin to the hair...making it stronger, easier to detangle, have more slip, etc...Yes heat is required to bond it to the hair, thus, you get a "press" in the process, but once its washed out, yes your hair will revert.....What I did was have my friend do my BKT (I was instructed not to get my hair wet, when I workout, blow-dry the sweat, etc, etc), then on day 5, I went to the salon to have it washed with the special shampoo and conditioner, and she blew my hair out and pressed it...After 2 weeks of enjoying my blow-out and press I washed it out (with a sulfate-free shampoo I usually use) and was back rocking my twists, braids, twist-outs, etc....My hair was not as thick though, and very easy to detangle, but still curly/coily, etc....lots of slip too...

-Sooo...No don't relax...you're natural now, so why go back?
-Give it time....Get another BKT with a slightly stronger strength...But that may cause for more formalin (type of formaldehyde) which you may not like....I used a full strength.
-or get a second opinion....but find a salon in your area that does BKT's on Black women's hair routinely....thats where I go for all my presses, blow-outs, and I think I'll let her do my next BKT-but only cause my friend is busy........HTH....

Thank you for this! My hair was easier to detangle but just barely - and that was it. I was incredibly disappointed that I wasted money on essentially nothing...and I did wash with a sulfate-free shampoo.

I am natural, but I love and prefer wearing my hair down and straight-ish. My curls are just too tight and shrinkage is intense. I was hoping the BKT would make it more manageable, and it was my last chance...at this point I'm just hoping that the relaxer will not damage my hair at all.

Back