relaxed ladies...do you have to flat iron??

L.Brown1114

I want my hair straight but dont feel like flat ironing (i suck at it anyways) but one of my fav YTers (uluvmegz) said she just blowdries her hair straight and it looks freshly flat ironed!! she said she hasnt flat ironed in a year!! OMG can anyone else do that? is it maybe just hair hair type she seems to have thin hair.
heres a link to a video of hers http://www.youtube.com/user/ulovemegz#p/u/1/1APakPZ679g

my hair NEVER looked straight after a blowdry....I think you have to be bonelaxed for that with a really good blow dryer. I could get pretty straight hair but it wouldn't be flat iron straight. My relaxed hair still has some texture to it.

I am relaxed but I don't flat iron my hair unless its a super special occasion. To get the flat ironed look weekly, I can:

1. blow dry it, apply CHI Silk Infusion, wrap with saran wrap and sit under hooded dryer 15 minutes
or
2. wrap set sit under hair dryer and after its dry, apply CHI Silk Infusion, wrap with saran wrap and sit under hooded dryer 15 minutes

I wish my hair would come out flat iron straight after blow drying.

Here is a pic of my relaxed hair after a blow dry:
length-check-09-14-2010.html

Last edited:
I'm relaxed (not bonelaxed) and for a straight look, I just rollerset sopping wet hair on large rollers, silk wrap it, and then put in some loose pin curls if I want some body. That works just fine up to about six weeks post. From six to ten, I can still get away with no heat. It'll just come out straight with some poof at the roots.
And then from ten weeks on, I have to flat iron the roots if I want a straight look. But I never use direct heat on my length or ends. There's no need.

As for the blowdryer, I can't really comment. I haven't owned one in seven years. But it's not inconceivable that she'd get those results with a blowdryer, especially since she's not natural. The Dominicans can do it, after all. I imagine with the right technique, one could replicate the look at home.

I am relaxed but I don't flat iron my hair unless its a super special occasion. To get the flat ironed look weekly, I can:

1. blow dry it, apply CHI Silk Infusion, wrap with saran wrap and sit under hooded dryer 15 minutes
or
2. wrap set sit under hair dryer and after its dry, apply CHI Silk Infusion, wrap with saran wrap and sit under hooded dryer 15 minutes

I wish my hair would come out flat iron straight after blow drying.

Here is a pic of my relaxed hair after a blow dry:
length-check-09-14-2010.html

i cant see the pic :-(

I'm relaxed and avoid direct heat at all cost possible. I rollerset for a nice sleek bouncy wavy look and air dry when I'm bunning or desiring a straighter look.

I've seen her hair and she is bonelaxed, this is why she does not have to use a flatiron.

Most of my hair is not bonelaxed if I want a stick straight look I will flatiron on 320 ( this is rarely done) I only flatiron when I want to get a trim at the salon.

I think you should just take the posters suggestions and roller set your hair and then silk wrap.

I'm relaxed (not bonelaxed) and for a straight look, I just rollerset sopping wet hair on large rollers, silk wrap it, and then put in some loose pin curls if I want some body. That works just fine up to about six weeks post. From six to ten, I can still get away with no heat. It'll just come out straight with some poof at the roots.
And then from ten weeks on, I have to flat iron the roots if I want a straight look. But I never use direct heat on my length or ends. There's no need.

As for the blowdryer, I can't really comment. I haven't owned one in seven years. But it's not inconceivable that she'd get those results with a blowdryer, especially since she's not natural. The Dominicans can do it, after all. I imagine with the right technique, one could replicate the look at home.

This is me as well. I like my full hair and I dont like thin hair.

if i want my hair straight heck yea. (i'm relaxed bone straight btw)
the only way i could get away with blow drying a super straight style is if i was just freshly relaxed or up to 4 weeks post. After that i have to crank up that flat iron. I don't make a big deal about heat cuz i don't use it that often so it doesn't matter to me

I think you don't need to flatiron if your hair is relaxed bone straight. I don't see the purpose of doing both. You need a really good blow dryer followed by a wrap or roller set (with some smoothing product). I try to use direct heat only once or twice a year. Other than that, I roller set and have no issues with getting my hair straight.

I'm relaxed and I flat iron after almost every wash only because I dont use a comb when I blowdry. I use my fingers and dry that way. Then flat iron lightly afterwards.

I couldn't take listening to her voice for very long while watching the video. But anywho, I've never tried just blow drying my hair straight, so I'm not sure. I'm transitioning now, so I have wayyyy too much new growth to try at this point lol.

my hair HATES being blowdried so I NEVER do it. It makes it so dry and rough, so I always airdry and if I want a stright look, which after finding LHCF rare cause I'm always ps'ing, I do have to flat iron it. But I do it in one maybe 2 passes per section, and on the lowest heat possible wich for me is like 350. Anything less, and I might as well not even do it

I couldn't take listening to her voice for very long while watching the video. But anywho, I've never tried just blow drying my hair straight, so I'm not sure. I'm transitioning now, so I have wayyyy too much new growth to try at this point lol.

lol yes!! her voice is annoying but her hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! i LOVE her edges they are NEVER rough looking no matter how much time post relaxer she is. her twin sister's voice is even worse it sounds like shes doing helium through a crack pipe!!

I rollerset then wrap my hair and sit back under the dryer for about 10 mins. I think you can get a straight look from a blow dryer if you use a round brush and a blow dryer. That causes a lot of tension but I've seen the dominicans and caucasion stylists use this method alot. But it seems to take some skill and practice.

I don't even own a flat iron and I retired my blow dryer when I joined LHCF. I get my hair straight enough airdrying and using the scarf method.

I do allow my stylist to use a blow dryer and flat iron when I get my relaxer touchups though.

I love megz, but I agree, I think she just has thin hair and a looser natural curl pattern so it works for her. I never use my beloved FHI anymore either though, whenever I desire straight hair I rollerset and wrap via the saran wrap method.

I have relaxed hair i would have to flatiron to get a sleek look or get a dominican blowout
I don't see myself ever getting the skill to master the dominican blowout technique especially on myself

My hair is big after I blowdry and airdry lol
rollersetting helps but post 4 weeks relaxer I would need to supplement that with something lol

I haven't flatironed since March and I've definitely haven't been using the blowdryer. I rollerset my hair weekly and wrap and tie with a satin scarf. If you use a comb to wrap it and tye it loosely you get soft bouncy curls. But if you use a paddle brush and wrap it tight but not too tight you can get the smooth straight look. I can do this up to 9 weeks post with no direct heat. I deep condition twice a week so this keeps my new growth moisturized and cooperative. My ends are thriving off of this no direct heat regimen.

I haven't flatironed since March and I've definitely haven't been using the blowdryer. I rollerset my hair weekly and wrap and tie with a satin scarf. If you use a comb to wrap it and tye it loosely you get soft bouncy curls. But if you use a paddle brush and wrap it tight but not too tight you can get the smooth straight look. I can do this up to 9 weeks post with no direct heat. I deep condition twice a week so this keeps my new growth moisturized and cooperative. My ends are thriving off of this no direct heat regimen.

I do need to use a flat iron if I want straight hair, I have very coarse texlaxed resistant hair.
My blow dried hair reminds me of Mufasa from the Lion King.
How the heck do I have a fro, when I'm relaxed, :lachen:?
4ab1.jpg

If I airdry in a ponytail, with a scarf over it, I will get waves or zig zags- it is straighter than a blow dry, but definitely not straight :lol:

4ab3.jpg

Don't feel bad OP- not everyone's hair can blow dry straight. I think Meg's hair is just relaxed really straight.

Last edited:
All I have to do to get PIN staight hair is blowdry. I don't use a brush or a comb after detangling. I just blow it dry after detangling.

I flat iron, but only for the silky feel, but i'm about to stop doing that. That's unnecessary heat.

My hair relaxes Very easily, so I may have Bone straight relaxed hair.

She has an IDENTICAL TWIN, so there's DOUBLE of that voice on some of her vids. :lol:

Listening to both of them at the same time, sounds like you fast forwarding a tape, or listenin to cartoon chipmunks talking fast. :look:

lol yes!! her voice is annoying but her hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! i LOVE her edges they are NEVER rough looking no matter how much time post relaxer she is. her twin sister's voice is even worse it sounds like shes doing helium through a crack pipe!!

@SelfStyled I LOVE your texture though. And you're right, one's texture is a big determiner in how straight it can get without the flatiron/blowdryer.

I'm relaxed and I cannot just blow dry and have the freshly flat ironed look. I do one of two things to get that look: 1. flat iron or 2. rollerset and then do a saran wrap treatment. I think Megz is able to do that because she has a looser curl pattern and she's bonelaxed.

i may have to bonelax my texlaxed hair because just like @SelfStyled i get waves and fros but im relaxed! I may just do that and invest in a good blow dryer. do you guys have any suggestions i dont even know what makes a good blow dryer lol.

I can blowdry it straight. When I was texlaxed :nono:

On another note, you all cannot talk about Megan. I love her. She's so sweet. And her and her sister are hilarious together. Yes the voice are chipmunky but you get used to it :lol:

ETA: I misunderstood the OP. When I blowdry it'll come out straight but it won't look smooth and sleek like a flatiron.

Last edited:
I'm texlaxed and haven't used any kind of direct heat in almost 5 years. When I want my hair straighened, I rollerset on 2" magnetics and then crosswrap. The result is not "flatiron straight" but has more volume/texture...the look that I prefer.

I definely have to flat iron to get the straight look- sometimes my hair straight up acts like I didnt even get relaxer (but that could also be because i relax only every 3-4 months)

Back