Relaxed ladies...at what length

Loving

...did you no longer need a donut to make your buns?

I am grazing APL and I still need a donut to make my buns or else they come out quite puny. I think my hair is relatively thick (see my siggy). However when I comb my hair in the ponytail to make the bun, it looks pitiful and I always end up reaching for the donut.

Is there hope for me?

I never really used them, but once I reached APL, my buns started looking full.

How are you making your buns? You can always form a ponytail, split it in half then wrap each half in different directions to make a fuller bun.

Or you can try the southern tease bun. They always look full.

MsDee14 I always wrap in one direction, usually clockwise. I need to try your method.

For the life of me, I can't get the southern tease bun down :nono:

I never used a donut even at SL, I think it has a lot to do with the style of bun u are creating. I usually do a 'messy' bun with the ends pinned n heavily M&S'd.
image-2433734783.jpg

ETA: I would also part my ponytail in like 4-5 sections and fold them under ( kinda like I was putting them on an imaginary roller then pin. It gave the bun a fuller effect and almost looked like a donut.

Last edited:
I with ya:) I not to far from APL..not full though its what I'm aiming for..but I still have to use the bun. My bun with my own hair looks like a teenie weenie bun. Which it not suitable for work so I grab my donut bun. However, it is growing slowly but its growing so it doesnt bother me much that I'm still relying on the donut bun. I'm hoping by end of the year though I will be able to bun soley on my hair.

Loving all this 'long' hair takes some getting use to:giggle: ....I'm style challenged too:yep: I just tried to put my hair up mid day (using 2 mini claw clips as I forgot my hair tie) - my boss looked over at me and asked what happened to my hair:lachen:

i have my little funky bun. i did the donut thing once and was scared it was going to eat away at my ends. i have some cute hair nets for buns, i use other accessories to make it more attractive.

i think my buns won't look fuller until i hit past BSL.

if your hair is all one length, you could try the southern tease bun.

I never needed them but used them if I was trying to get the donut bun look. As mentioned, the style of buns matter on the appearance of fullness. APL and beyond should be able to achieve a full look.

I never needed them but used them if I was trying to get the donut bun look. As mentioned, the style of buns matter on the appearance of fullness. APL and beyond should be able to achieve a full look.

divachyk
is do you have instructions in your blog on how to do the bun you have in your siggy?
i would like to try that. i just twist my hair (coil like manner) and pin it down with a spin pin.

Ive never used a donut, but there are a number of factors at play.

- thickness of your hair
- whether it's bone straight or curly at the time
- wrapping a bun (extendng a long pony, twirling it around, wrapping in around, tuck end)
- continuous roll bun (I do this when my hair is curly or bushy)
- folding over 4 sections and pinning it under to create the shape of a bun.

I wear a bun 80% of my life lol

This is how I make my buns whan my hair is curly, bug, and lacking the extra length the extend and twist. I call it a continuous roll-instructional is over 7 years old.
269925435.jpg

Last edited:
I never used a donut even at SL, I think it has a lot to do with the style of bun u are creating. I usually do a 'messy' bun with the ends pinned n heavily M&S'd.
View attachment 155737

ETA: I would also part my ponytail in like 4-5 sections and fold them under ( kinda like I was putting them on an imaginary roller then pin. It gave the bun a fuller effect and almost looked like a donut.

growbaby I love this! Can't wait to try it...

Ive never used a donut, but there are a number of factors at play.

- thickness of your hair
- whether it's bone straight or curly at the time
- wrapping a bun (extendng a long pony, twirling it around, wrapping in around, tuck end)
- continuous roll bun (I do this when my hair is curly or bushy)
- folding over 4 sections and pinning it under to create the shape of a bun.

I wear a bun 80% of my life lol

AudraChanell maybe my problem is I try to do my buns on straight hair...hmmm.

My hair is apl and I still use a donut hole. I am just lazy in the.morning and can quickly do a bun with a donut hole that looks professional and sleek for work. Plus I put soo much oil and moisturizers in my hair that my.ponytails are so thin.

Great question! :grin:

As a PP mentioned, pin straight hair is not ideal to make full buns. Airdried hair worked best for me. Also, be light on your products.

I stopped using my doughnut thingy when I was barely APL. Here's a pic of the first time I was able to twist my hair into a "thingy-less" bun.

IMG00519-vi.jpg

This messy bun was messy because I used so many pins to hold my hair up! I loved it because it gave the illusion that my hair was longer and fuller than it really was! :drunk:
IMG01045-vi.jpg

Here's the YT vid on how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPlTUo0MtgA

The Southern Tease bun was also one of my favorites when I was APL:
SouthernTease-vi.jpg

http://images46.fotki.com/v1396/photos/0/1601800/8676044/SouthernTease-vi.jpg

divachyk
is do you have instructions in your blog on how to do the bun you have in your siggy?
i would like to try that. i just twist my hair (coil like manner) and pin it down with a spin pin.
:grin:I second that request

Very pretty AudraChanell

shortdub78 Loving, I don't have that one listed in my blog but I will add it. The bun was made by bringing the hair up in a high pony. I placed my right index finger at the front of my pony maker with pressing down on the crown of my head. I kept my index finger in place and loosely wrapped the hair around in circles with my left hand all the while keeping my right index finger pressed down on my crown. The index finger helped to give the bun form. I then held my head extremely still, placed on my hair net and good days hair pinned my hair in place.

Did that help some? The key is using your finger. Looping the hair around the finger gives it a nice, big loop look. Otherwise, your bun my collapse or be wrapped to tightly. Holding the finger in place reminds you to wrap loosely.

I'm BSB and I no longer need a donut, especially if the bun is done on airdried hair. Even though I'm transitioning, I still have about 95% relaxed ends. I'm always asked if my bun is my real hair, but again it HAS to be on airdried hair. If I do it with straight hair it comes out super puny.

growbaby said:

Here is the 2nd bun I was trying to explain with a twist in the front, this is a SL bun from Nov.

image-2574688702.jpg

Thanks ladies for all your help! I actually tried one on Friday evening without the donut and it came out pretty decent! Not as neat as with the donut, but decent enough. I'm going to keep practicing!

Ever since I realized there are different kinds of buns, I dont use my donut anymore unless I am specifically going for that look.

Back