Relaxed: Is it possible that hair grows outward rather than downward?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Ladies:

I think this is a fascinating subject.

When I was a nappy-head (which I miss dearly :(), my hair always grew outward the fastest. It did grow downward eventually, but I had more of an curly afro puff than a texturized look that gave me length.

Now as a relaxed head, I notice that my newgrowth is coming in very fast, same as the last time I relaxed. I just knew that I would have at least 2 inches of growth in length. Not so. Instead I noticed short hairs all over. They weren't broken off hairs, either. And yes, my hair did get a little fuller. My hair did grow lengthwise, but on a little bit. It seems that I actually added hair rather than a lot of length.

So this made me wonder if it is possible that I gained more hair, which is making it appear full rather than longer.

And brings me to the question: Is it possible--even as a relaxed head--to get growth outward rather than downward?

I have always felt that my hair grew outward first. As my hair has grown, I would be tempted to cut it when the ends appeared thin, but my volume was big. I decided to just keep it up in protective styles and see what happened if I let it be. In the next 2-4 months, the length followed and the thin ends were gone.

I hope this makes sense:rofl:

Yes, nicki! It does indeed make sense. I am happy. I am starting to get this poofiness in my roots already after only 2.5 weeks post-relaxer. But I still need to work the last few inches of my hair, which appear to be thinner. I hope that I'm gaining width and will eventually see length catching up to it...;)

yes, my hair grows outward. i am being patient because i believe once i gain more length, it will start to fall and lay flat. plus as i sharpen my technique and lock down my prods, it will all come together.

patience grasshopper ;)

Back