Relaxed heads who cowash daily in the winter

c*c*chic*

Hello all =) im curious as to how relaxed ladies are cowashing daily in the winter time. Me, myself--i do it daily in the summertime , apply leave ins and throw on a half wig. but in the winter time i am terrfied to drench my head and walk out the door. is that what you ladies are doing or is there another way of doing this in the winter? are u applying the conditioner like you would a moisturizer and sealing ur ends?? please explain in detail if possible =) i would love to go back to cowashing, i feel as though i got the best growth when i cowashed daily. also, what products do you use? :stop: only answer this last question if you are PRO product junkieism lol like i need more products lol. HHG ladies =)

I don't cowash every single day (just very often) and I co-wash my hair with whatever (im using mane n tail condish at this time), rinse, then apply nexxus humectress on it (mixed with coconut oil/evoo and infusium 23), put a plastic hairbag over it, put on a wig cap then throw on a wig. When I go outside I cant even feel that my hair is wet and I like doing this because it keeps my head warm. I do this whether my hair is loose or in braids.

Last edited:
I cowashed daily all through this winter - sometimes twice a day, in fact, because of working out. I had a severe case of dryness early in the winter but discovered it was a due to a change in Optimum's relaxer formula with the new Salon series. That formula must be extremely alkaline because my porosity was seriously out of whack with cuticles lifted along the strands to the point that my hair looked like a porcupine once air dried. I corrected by relaxing with old formula that was on sale at CVS (bought all 10 boxes left on the shelf BOGO plus $2 off per full price box :grin:).

Anyway, I keep my head covered when heading outside with knit berets and a satin bonnet underneath. Lately I've been sticking to cowashing strictly with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa because it leaves my hair with a juicy thickness and feeling moisturized, and I love the fact that it has all natural ingredients. I use Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 as my leave-in/moisturizer exclusively right now. My hair absorbs it rather than it coating the strands.

In the recent past, for cowashing I've used V05 Strawberries and Cream and Aussie Moist but they've been leaving my hair crunchy. I didn't used to have that problem with the V05 but l think I started applying to much and leaving it on for too long. Anyway, I'll keep them around for summer. For leave-in/moisturizer I've also used Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodyfier but found that it left my relaxed strands feeling coated, plus my ends were a tangled mess when I dusted during this period of using the Mist. I've also used Yes to Cucumbers Leave In - great all natural ingredient list and gives super slip to new growth, but again I get crunchy dryness using it in winter. So for now, I stick with TJ Nourish Spa for cowashing and Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 for leave in.

I'm don't use oils much so I don't seal, but if I want a little more shine I use jojoba oil (Desert Essence from Whole Foods).

I'm relaxed, fine 4B and wet bun 99.9% of the time.

HHG :-)

Kim

I co-wash a lot (maybe 3-5 times) per week year round. The winter does not stop me. I usually use vo5 strawberries & cream, tj's balancing condish, or mizani scalp care (or something like that). In the winter, I also do an oil rinse for my dry scalp. I only use an ounce or less of proclaim natural 7 oil. When I get out of the shower, I either put my hair in a wet bun and tie a scarf on my edges or do two flat twists in a crown shape around my head. Then I either put a hat on or my hood but my wet hair never makes me cold. I'm too prepared to be cold. :)

ETA: For leave-ins I use Hairveda's Whipped Cream and Almond Glaze or my own shea butter mix. It all depends on what I have on hand and what I want to smell like :look: HTH

Last edited:
I would have to say 2-3 times a week which is not easy with the New York Winters... And I don't cowash at all the first 2wks of a fresh relaxer.

I co wash with WEN or trader joe's. I usually co wash in the evening after working out, but sometimes I co wash in the morning. I put my hair in a turbo twist for 20 minutes or so, then take it down and add leave ins and detangle. I let it air dry before styling - usually a braidout or bun. I do this currently 3-4 times a week because I am working out frequently.

At least once a week, I deep condition as well. I don't co wash in the morning because I don't have time. But if I do, I follow the same routine.

I use Keracare or Garnier smoothing milk as my leave ins currently.

I don't CW daily but usually 2-3 times a week with whatever I have on hand. I also don't CW my hair until night. I towel dry, add my leave ins and seal, and go to bed. When I wake it's dry and then I throw on a wig and keep it moving.

I co-wash once a week and that is on Wed. If I stretch pass 12 wks like now, I don't even co-wash mid week. I just do my normal wash on Sat. Less manipulation is better for me once I get lots of ng. I'm surprised at the number of ladies that wear wigs now. I must be the only one that don't even own a wig.

I cowash daily in the morning because I apply my sulfur mix at night. I am using the Tresemme Naturals right now and loving it. After cowashing, I usually apply a leave in or S-curl, put my hair in a low bun, apply my satin wrap and then my wig. I do seal with coconut oil or what ever oil is close sometimes as well.

I don't cowash every single day (just very often) and I co-wash my hair with whatever (im using mane n tail condish at this time), rinse, then apply nexxus humectress on it (mixed with coconut oil/evoo and infusium 23), put a plastic hairbag over it, put on a wig cap then throw on a wig. When I go outside I cant even feel that my hair is wet and I like doing this because it keeps my head warm. I do this whether my hair is loose or in braids.

I love this idea for a leave in! :yep:

When I was relaxed I use to co-wash every 3 to 5 days with no problems early in the morning. Grated I would get sick sometimes off of it, but my hair was flyyyyyyyyyy! :lol:

I cowash 2-3x a week all year. I always do it at night and airdry before bed. I use my cheapie conditioners (Herbal Essences and Garnier). Then I apply leave-ins as follows:

ORS Carrot Oil on whole head concentrate on ends
EVCO on ends only
NTM Silk Touch on whole head
Mane and Tail detangler sprayed on whole head (starting at 9-10wks post)
Detangle and part hair on side
Rusk Smoother on whole head

Slick hair back and put on silk scarf until dry enough for bed.

I co-wash once a week and that is on Wed. If I stretch pass 12 wks like now, I don't even co-wash mid week. I just do my normal wash on Sat. Less manipulation is better for me once I get lots of ng. I'm surprised at the number of ladies that wear wigs now. I must be the only one that don't even own a wig.

Gurl, you ain't the only one lol.
The closest thing I own to "fake hair" is a phonytail lol.
I think i'm going to start my mid-week co-washes again.
I feel like I got my best growth during my co-washing period :yep:

You're not alone. I don't own nor have I ever put one on.

janeemat - nope you aren't the only one! I've never worn a wig, weave, phony pony, or extension braids. I also don't use direct heat. I decided a long time ago to just learn to deal with my newgrowth and show it off. If it's lookin' crazy and out of control, so be it. :drunk:

i condition wash 2 times a week all throughout the year rain sleek or snow(even though we dont get snow here very often.

@janeemat - nope you aren't the only one! I've never worn a wig, weave, phony pony, or extension braids. I also don't use direct heat. I decided a long time ago to just learn to deal with my newgrowth and show it off. If it's lookin' crazy and out of control, so be it. :drunk:

Same here sunnieb. I've just never been able to get into those things. I can relate to hair looking crazy and out of control! That would be me today dealing with 16wks ng. After reading this thread yesterday, crazy me went home and tried a cowash on 16 wks post. Well this morning, I have a damp jacked up plat with a barrett. Not cute:nono:

How are you all airdrying ????
I would like to co wash 2x/during the week but the drying part is bothersome. This week I airdried twice and I caught a little head cold. I have to blow dry lightly on cool to take out most of the dampness to prevent this. I also don't like walking around w/ my wet hair hanging down. I don't know how people w/ a lot of hair airdry and it comes out so nicely. I feel like I've watched a ton of Tracyee's videos on airdrying :lol:. But it seems when she's doing her twists and buns her hair isn't wet wet and she has wayyy more hair than me.

Brittster I have an album in my fotki entitled "How I Air Dry My Hair" if you want to check it out.

I was inspired to put it together because some people had a hard time believing that someone with my hair type could wash almost daily.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

@ Sunnie - what does th ORS carrot oil do for you? I have it but dont know how to use it, smh!

I use it as my base moisturizer twice a day. I like it because a little goes a long way and it does wonders for keeping my ends full of moisture. You have be careful not to use too much because it can make your hair feel greasy.

I also use a dab NTM silk touch on top of that if I feel like it, but not everyday.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

Thanks! I will try it out over the weekend and let you know how it does for me.. I think when I was using it maybe i was a little heavy handed and the smell is not the best to me so I just pushed it to the back of the closet.

ty ladies so much for ur responses =) i might try doing it at night first and roll my hair in rollers in the front. excited i am! lol HHG

How are you all airdrying ????
I would like to co wash 2x/during the week but the drying part is bothersome. This week I airdried twice and I caught a little head cold. I have to blow dry lightly on cool to take out most of the dampness to prevent this. I also don't like walking around w/ my wet hair hanging down. I don't know how people w/ a lot of hair airdry and it comes out so nicely. I feel like I've watched a ton of Tracyee's videos on airdrying :lol:. But it seems when she's doing her twists and buns her hair isn't wet wet and she has wayyy more hair than me.

I don't like walking around with wet hair, so that's why I use my turbie twist microfiber towel to absorb some of the moisture first. It's not rough like a regular towel and it doesn't dry my hair out, either.

Im co washing every other day but nearly every day due to my gym routine and it is freezing in London. However i never go outside with wet hair in winter. I pat dry with towel as my hair is short again it doesn't take to long to dry. I put my doo rag on then throw my wig on top and out I go. This has been working fine for me.

Back