Relaxed Heads: What's the Secret to Healthy, Flat-ironed hair?

Sorry this is off topic OP. Okay....I am not so sure that Aphogee Green Tea is a heat protectant per se, I think that it is activated by heat, meaning that if you Flat Iron it in , it will infuse Keratin into your hair, making your hair stronger like DDtexlaxed explained. Like a mini BKT, kinda sorta.

Now on the other hand, the Aphogee Pro Vitamin, says that it, "Adds lightweight moisture, improves body and shine, and protects against heat.

It's ok. I really know very little about flat-ironing, so the more information you ladies volunteer, the better :grin:.

I'm getting curious as to whether the type of flat-irons one uses really matters or not, so I put that question in the original post as well ;).

Sorry this is off topic OP. Okay....I am not so sure that Aphogee Green Tea is a heat protectant per se, I think that it is activated by heat, meaning that if you Flat Iron it in , it will infuse Keratin into your hair, making your hair stronger like DDtexlaxed explained. Like a mini BKT, kinda sorta.

Now on the other hand, the Aphogee Pro Vitamin, says that it, "Adds lightweight moisture, improves body and shine, and protects against heat.

Thank you...sorry OP...

The only thing I can add is that I still have to rollerset before I flat iron. If I skip that step, my ends are super dry and ugly. It may be my technique, tho. *waiting for more responses cuz I'd like to know too*

I actually like that idea. It's better than blowdrying before flat ironing (I would think).

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I flat-iron my hair weekly after I wash, DC, and blowdry.

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? I used to have a lot of breakage, but this is before I discovered LHCF. Now I have minimal breakage, and I'm sure if I didn't use heat weekly, I would retain more length, but I like neat straight hair, so I sacrifice.

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful?

My tips are:
- D/C is a must
- I use protein somewhere in my regimen every week (e.g. conditioner, leave-in, etc.)
- Using a heat protectant has made a big difference in keeping my ends healthy

4. Anything else you'd like to add? I wrap my hair every night to maintain my flat-ironed hair.

You're a very smart flat-ironer! I mean, if you're going to use heat every week, you are doing all the right things with it, and your hair looks VERY healthy. :up:

I have an andis :blush:. What kind of flat-irons are good? I read up a little on them, and the ones with pure ceramic plates are best (like the FHI runway and the Hanna Elite), but those are very expensive. I hear the chi works well for relaxed hair.
I love my Sedu Revolution!

the secret to healthy, flat-ironed hair is the same secret to healthy $ex....protection!!!

:giggle: Too funny

Sorry, I don't have anything to add. I'm just taking notes. I'm texlaxed, so my rollersets are really big. I sometimes get straight hair envy, and I want to flat iron. So I thought I'd check this thread out.

I recently bought a Sedu because of the claims of a healthier flat ironing process. Along with that I only flat iron after rollersetting. That way I'm only targeting the newest growth not the entire length of hair. I probably only flat iron 1-2 inches of hair at most.

I also usually wait until I've got at least an inch of new growth before I break out the iron. Last but not least, I rotate between iron and my super powerful Solano blow dryer.

I recently bought a Sedu because of the claims of a healthier flat ironing process. Along with that I only flat iron after rollersetting. That way I'm only targeting the newest growth not the entire length of hair. I probably only flat iron 1-2 inches of hair at most.

I also usually wait until I've got at least an inch of new growth before I break out the iron. Last but not least, I rotate between iron and my super powerful Solano blow dryer.

the Solano is AWESOME!:rolleyes: (back to taking notes on flatironing)

1. When and how often do you flat-iron?
I start flat ironing after 8 weeks post. And I try to do it every other week.

2. How frequently do you relax?
Every 12 to 16 weeks.

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging?
I think if I did it all the time it would be. But I try to use it sparingly at the end of my stretch to help with the different textures.

4. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful?
First: I wash, DC and towel dry.
Second: Then I apply Fermodyl 619 Extrat Strength (about 1/3 of one of the little applicator bottles), literally a pea size amount of GVP Sebastians Potion 9 (for my entire head of hair) and Redken SmoothDown Heat Glide (one pump for the entire head).
Third: Then I Blow dry on a low setting with a wide tooth shower comb.
Fourth: Then I apply Chi Silk Infusion (a nickel size amount).
Fifth: I flat iron using the comb chase method is small sections. I like the Jibere Straightening Comb from Sallys.

5. Does the type of flat-iron one uses (generic vs. high-end) really matter?
I don't think so, as long as you the temperature setting of it. But I use the GVP Chi one ($59).

6.Anything else you'd like to add?
If I'm not flat ironing I'm typically not using any heat at the end of my stretches (Buns, Twist-Outs and Braid-Outs). In the first 8 weeks I usually roller set when I use heat.

Don't flat iron dirty, dry, and sweated hair. My stylist just told me this when my mom asked her about my color.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Healthy hair flat irons really well:grin: If you are relaxed then turn down the heat especially if you are relaxed bone straight:yep:

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? My hair is a short bob now, so I flat iron weekly. First I wash and DC, and then flat iron. As it grows out I will do more rollersets

2. How frequently do you relax? I get a relaxer every 10-12 weeks

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? I find it helpful as it helps to control my new growth and makes my hair easy to comb through and maintain daily

4. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? Heat protectant(I use CHI Silk Infusion) but may try Tresemme Heat Tamer soon, DC(I use different ones, but do so weekly)

5. Does the type of flat-iron one uses (generic vs. high-end) really matter? I don't know. I have only used higher end irons, but I think as long as you can control the temp, and it is ionic and ceramic or tourmaline, you will be fine. I use Babyliss Pro Titanium irons, but I own an FHI, CHI, and Maxiglide

6.Anything else you'd like to add? Make sure you wash and DC your hair at least 1x/week, and also make sure that you moisturize and seal your hair in between washes and flat irons.

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? My hair is a short bob now, so I flat iron weekly. First I wash and DC, and then flat iron. As it grows out I will do more rollersets

2. How frequently do you relax? I get a relaxer every 10-12 weeks

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? I find it helpful as it helps to control my new growth and makes my hair easy to comb through and maintain daily

4. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? Heat protectant(I use CHI Silk Infusion) but may try Tresemme Heat Tamer soon, DC(I use different ones, but do so weekly)

5. Does the type of flat-iron one uses (generic vs. high-end) really matter? I don't know. I have only used higher end irons, but I think as long as you can control the temp, and it is ionic and ceramic or tourmaline, you will be fine. I use Babyliss Pro Titanium irons, but I own an FHI, CHI, and Maxiglide

6.Anything else you'd like to add? Make sure you wash and DC your hair at least 1x/week, and also make sure that you moisturize and seal your hair in between washes and flat irons.

How do you M&S flat ironed relaxed hair? Seems like that is counteractive and the moisture would cause the hair to curl/wave up if the "moisture" is wet. Also, because I have thin hair, even a little bit of coconut oil, evoo or nourish and shine leaves my hair greasy and weighed down? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I now flat iron once a month. I honestly think this is the key to a beautiful and flawless finish. When I flat ironed weekly my hair began to look horrible whenever I would flat iron it.

2. How frequently do you relax? I relax every 2-3 months.

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? I think flat ironing is damaging, which is why I have limited it to once a month. Even if the damage isn't apparent in the beginning, it always catches up with you.

4. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? The less product the better.

5. Does the type of flat-iron one uses (generic vs. high-end) really matter? I think a decent ceramic iron is important. Those cheap flat irons probably won't do a good job.

6.Anything else you'd like to add? As I've already said, limiting heat application really improves the overall health of one's hair. My hair looks amazing when I flat iron it. So soft, shiny, and bouncy. :yep: I have discovered that the more I flat iron the worse my hair looks!

How do you M&S flat ironed relaxed hair? Seems like that is counteractive and the moisture would cause the hair to curl/wave up if the "moisture" is wet. Also, because I have thin hair, even a little bit of coconut oil, evoo or nourish and shine leaves my hair greasy and weighed down? Any suggestions?

I have fine low-med density hair and I've learned less is more with my hair. You have to use a light moisturizer, nourish and shine is too heavy. Also, a pea size amount of moisturizer and sealer is enough. Start at the ends so your ends are covered and lightly spread the products up the hair shaft being careful not to concentrate on any one area too heavily. Doing this really keeps my hair moisturized but not weighed down.

I put the moisturizer on after I wrap my hair and either brush it in or rub it around. Then I add the sealant. And do the same again.

Hey Everybody! :wave:

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I flat iron my new growth only once a week. I like to roller set my hair first because I do not like stick straight hair and like the way my hair looks when I roller set + flat iron.

2. How frequently do you relax? I now relax every 16 weeks thanks to flat ironing and the quality products that I use.

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? For me, it helps me find my scalp. :lol: It actually isn't harming my hair at all. I don't do anything to my ends or relaxed hair with this method-- just ironing the new growth only.

4. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? I usually pass the iron through my hair only once. I make sure the sections are as small as possible (no more than 1" inch thick). I start from the back and work my way to the front.

5. Does the type of flat-iron one uses (generic vs. high-end) really matter? Well I have two really nice flat irons: I have the original CHI that I have owned for over 7 years and I have a pink FHI (thank you) :kiss: which I adore. There was a previous FHI 2" model that I had many years ago but my hair didn't like it-- wasn't getting hot enough. For me, I need it to be HOT.

6.Anything else you'd like to add? I am going to watch some flat ironing videos for more techniques. Thank you to all the posters-- I am still learning a lot.

Back