Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

I am about 12 or 13 weeks post. I actually do not keep up with the exact dates anymore, I've gotten lazy :) but it think I last relaxed around mid July, then got a sew-in in early Sept. Now the sew in is approaching 6 or 7 weeks and I will be taking it out this weekend! I can't wait. I miss my hair.

I'm 12 weeks post.
I think I'm gonna braid my hair and see if I can go about 6 to 8 more weeks.
I usually stretch anywhere from 10 to 12 weeks but I'm feeling too lazy to relax. It takes me more planning than just braiding since I do it myself.

17 weeks post and I will relax today. I decided to stick with Affirm Fiberguard for right now because I hate wasting money and I'm realizing maybe it didn't get straighter because I only smoothed with my fingers. I'll smooth with the comb this time and see if I have a different outcome. I was so tempted to go to Sally's and get a box of Silk Elements, but I know that I'll like the initial results then after that it's desert city for my hair.

17 weeks post and I will relax today. I decided to stick with Affirm Fiberguard for right now because I hate wasting money and I'm realizing maybe it didn't get straighter because I only smoothed with my fingers. I'll smooth with the comb this time and see if I have a different outcome. I was so tempted to go to Sally's and get a box of Silk Elements, but I know that I'll like the initial results then after that it's desert city for my hair.

I was thinking about buying Silk Elements, so I'm glad I saw your post. May I ask if you used lye or no-lye? And is 'desert city' perpetual or just requires extra deep conditioning, etc? I've been using ORS lye for a while, but the results are diminishing. TIA!

I was thinking about buying Silk Elements, so I'm glad I saw your post. May I ask if you used lye or no-lye? And is 'desert city' perpetual or just requires extra deep conditioning, etc? I've been using ORS lye for a while, but the results are diminishing. TIA!

I can't speak for Silk Elements because I've never used it but I do use no lye. Yes it can be drying, you have to really stay on top of moisture and DC'ing. It's certainly doable as I no longer have a problem with dry hair.

I can't speak for Silk Elements because I've never used it but I do use no lye. Yes it can be drying, you have to really stay on top of moisture and DC'ing. It's certainly doable as I no longer have a problem with dry hair.

Thanks for the reply! I switched to lye about 2 years ago and it's been great! My hair stayed brittle and wouldn't go past NL. Now I'm on my way to APL. My biggest issue is figuring out when to relax. I go anywhere from 8-14 weeks, but sometimes the stretch is not on purpose. My NG tangles and dreads, but only in one quadrant. It's a struggle.

What relaxer do you use? Do you use a chelating shampoo after you rinse the relaxer out?

Thanks for the reply! I switched to lye about 2 years ago and it's been great! My hair stayed brittle and wouldn't go past NL. Now I'm on my way to APL. My biggest issue is figuring out when to relax. I go anywhere from 8-14 weeks, but sometimes the stretch is not on purpose. My NG tangles and dreads, but only in one quadrant. It's a struggle.
What lye relaxer where you using before? ORS lye and no lye was terrible on my hair. I actually had good results with Creme Of Nature Argan Oil. I may use that again, or mizani butter blends sensitive scalp. But I’m stretching a total of 16 weeks to give myself enough new growth to start fresh and work with. I wanna go to a professional, but I’m scared she/he won’t be gentle.

I've only used the no lye Silk Elements. Desert city is referring to the fact that it's no lye and my hair can't take it. Chelating and extra deep conditioning was never enough me, it's like the conditioner would never penetrate my hair.

Ok ladies, I relaxed my hair last night and it came out beautiful and straight as if I used no lye. I now realize that the problem wasn't lye relaxers but my application. I would always apply the relaxer, smooth it quickly one time and immediately rinse it out...that's called texlaxing:lachen:. This time I let it sit for about 10 to 12 minutes before I rinsed. Totally embarrassing given how long I've been on this hair journey.

My only gripe is that Affirm Fiberguard doesn't give me the shine that MBB did, so after I'm done with it I may switch back to Mizani or try Linage.

Another thing, I will definitely not stretch beyond 12 weeks again.

Last edited:
What lye relaxer where you using before? ORS lye and no lye was terrible on my hair. I actually had good results with Creme Of Nature Argan Oil. I may use that again, or mizani butter blends sensitive scalp. But I’m stretching a total of 16 weeks to give myself enough new growth to start fresh and work with. I wanna go to a professional, but I’m scared she/he won’t be gentle.

Oh wow! I've been using ORS lye. I agree about ORS no-lye. I'm at 10.5 weeks and my appointment is tomorrow. Like you, normally I'd prefer to keep stretching before switching brands but I think I need to do it now. I'll just make sure my prep is on point and monitor it closely.

I hope you find a skilled pro. My lady is pretty good, but I usually help her out anyway by detangling and clipping beforehand bc I know my NG can be really thick.

I've only used the no lye Silk Elements. Desert city is referring to the fact that it's no lye and my hair can't take it. Chelating and extra deep conditioning was never enough me, it's like the conditioner would never penetrate my hair.

I agree! I did the same things and my hair never looked cared for. I don't regret switching to lye.

I thinking about Mizani now, but I had dreadful results with that previously; it looked like I didn't even relax. :ohwell: Admittedly this was early on in my self relaxing exploits..
Would use get the Mizani BB sensitive scalp (no lye)? I had good results with Mizani BB lye twice, then it went down hill. Mizani regular didn’t give me any problems.
I don’t know?.. maybe order DE?

:lol::lol: Why is this so hard! No I've decided to use Affirm, but the original one, not Fiberguard.

Are you going to use Mizani BB?
Yes, or Design Essentials. I was going to go to a professional, but I’m too worried about them not handling my hair gentle. Last time I let someone in my hair and I had a lot of new growth in the crown, that person ripped my hair out... I have been repairing my crown area since.

Last edited:
Back