Relaxed Heads- can we wash/co wash everyday???

After im 4 weeks post i co-wash everyday. It softens my ng tremendously :yep:...... Since shampoo is so stripping, i only reg wash once a week.

I am 10 weeks post and stretching to about 16 weeks post. I've been using a combo of cons like nexxus hum and Hair One (knock off Wen). I make sure to throw in some porosity control 1x during the week. Combing under the water helps to decrease the tangles. My hair stays moisturized throughout the day.

Try it for yourself but pls let go of the myth that Black hair can't be washed frequently. Moisturized hair is happy hair, sis! My hair can vouch for this.

I do it in the summer during the first 6-7 weeks after having a relaxer. I just like having my hair wet. It's a personal choice. I always put it in a low loose bun afterwards.

The only reason why I'm not doing it now is because my hair is not relaxed straight anymore, plus I have expensive color in my hair that I don't want to wash out.

May favorite conditioners are dominican rinses and Suave Tropical Coconut.

I don't like cowashing. It leaves my hair feeling coated.

Denise! I always find you. Yeah, I get that feeling too, but I'm going to give it another shot in this challenge. I think I just haven't found the right conditioner. I'll let you know if it every begins to feel good to me. LoL

How do you do your wash n go? Does it come out curly? What do you put in your hair? When you do a wet bun, do you comb your hair? I worry about the amount of manipulation with wet hair.
My hair is relaxed, but it still curls up pretty nicely. After I wash or WNG, I apply a leave in and depending on how I feel more conditioner or some whipped shea butter. Plop it with a towel and let it dry overnight in a bonnet. I don't use these products anymore, but this is how my WNG usually turns out:

http://public.fotki.com/clevegryl/2007-haircare/may-07---july-07/wash-n-go-experiment/

I do lightly rake my wet hair after washing to put it in a bun. I have to do this in order to get the roots semi flat (also do scarf method). I haven't had any problems with manipulation. Just be gentle when detangling. :yep:

I am relaxed, 21 weeks post relaxer and transitioning.

I cowash 3 times a week, I upped it to 3 times from 2 just over a month ago - my hair loves cowashing. I'm about to increase it to 4... I work out 5 days a week so the more cowashing, the better for me :-)

My fave cowash cons are (1st is my love) - Herbal Essences Totally Twisted, HE Hello Hydration, Suave Humectant and Aphogee 2 min reconstructor.

I DC on 2 of these cowash days... I think it's worth trying again, I tried it over a year ago and HATED the way my hair felt but after seeing the cowashing challenge earlier this year, I decided to give it a go again - I am soooo glad I did.

Is everyone air drying after the co-wash? I've tried it 4 times now and my hair is always wet in the middle and then my hair is Sahara dry once it finishes drying during the day. I'm wearing a wig but I would like to have my hair out once in a while and can't go to work looking a HAM! I'm using HE HH. How do you know if it's a good cowash conditioner? Is the true test AFTER your hair dries? I just bought some Porosity Control poo + con so maybe that will help. I wash with poo weekly also. I was just trying to add one weekly cowash to start out.

I love to cowash, but I will use some poo in the shower and put on a rinse out conditioner every couple days I do it. Having my hair wet everyday feels really good when its hot out.

I either wet bun, do the twist n curl overnight, or a curly wash n go. I'm currently 12 weeks post, so its helping keep the two textures in good shape.

You have successfully done this method on relaxed hair? Are you texlaxed? I am asking because I have seen CurlyNikki's blog and Pokahontas' do it, but they both are naturals.

I think you can, but I don't see why you would. My hair is happy being shampoo'd and DC'd once per week - twice if I'm bored. That's about it.

If I do wash twice a week, I usually co-wash. It's okay, but I don't like airdrying my hair. It always seems to cause tangled new growth and limp ends.

Hi,

I'm sorry, I guess I can't get over the old wives tales about black hair
i got over the fact that we are actually supposed to wash more often than once every 2 weeks and i can accept that natural heads can wash everyday but i was reading about relaxed people co-washing everyday
can we really wet our hair everyday and not lose it all?
bcuz im almost 9 weeks post and my hair grows so fast (dont worry nothing is retained)
my ng is a jungle and i have this huge knot in the back of my head :wallbash: and i dont want to deal with it unless its wet and being able to cowash everyday would help just a bit...
how many of you do this?

I do.

I co-wash with WEN or Ovation every day (preferably in the AM before work) when I am about 4-6 weeks post relaxer. I stretch to 12-13 weeks so far.

I even co-wash the morning of the day I get my touch-up - I just don't manipulate my scalp to alleviate burning my scalp during the procedure.

I generally wear my hair in a protective style daily, so this technique works wonders for me.

Is everyone air drying after the co-wash? I've tried it 4 times now and my hair is always wet in the middle and then my hair is Sahara dry once it finishes drying during the day. I'm wearing a wig but I would like to have my hair out once in a while and can't go to work looking a HAM! I'm using HE HH. How do you know if it's a good cowash conditioner? Is the true test AFTER your hair dries? I just bought some Porosity Control poo + con so maybe that will help. I wash with poo weekly also. I was just trying to add one weekly cowash to start out.

HE HH contains cones. If you are going to be using it that frequently then it's good that you shampoo once a week, but make sure that the shampoo you use contains at least one sulfate to clarify silicone build up. Over time silicone (cones) can and do build up on the hair and prevent moisture from reaching the core. So while the feeling of slip is nice the actuality is that yoruhair will become dull overtime if you overuse this product.

A good cowash conditioner is low in protein and low in cones. It should just contain standard fatty acids/fatty alcohols and vitamins. Vitamin E and A soften the hair and vitamin c strengthens the hair and closes the cuticle. VO5 is cheap and good as a cowash conditioner. It's the only conditioner my hair will tolerate as a cowash conditioner.

I actually don't like cowashing very much.

I do.

I co-wash with WEN or Ovation every day (preferably in the AM before work) when I am about 4-6 weeks post relaxer. I stretch to 12-13 weeks so far.

I even co-wash the morning of the day I get my touch-up - I just don't manipulate my scalp to alleviate burning my scalp during the procedure.

I generally wear my hair in a protective style daily, so this technique works wonders for me.

Figured you'd be in here; I didn't know whether to consider WENning cowashing or not.

You have successfully done this method on relaxed hair? Are you texlaxed? I am asking because I have seen CurlyNikki's blog and Pokahontas' do it, but they both are naturals.
Yes!! It works very well. It's just like doing a normal twist out, except the rollers on your ends leave a nice curl to it. Twist outs and braid outs leave nice definition to relaxed hair.

Im relaxed but I don't start cowashing until I'm 4weeks post. But I still only wash once a week and cowash once a week b/c mostly I'm bunning when I'm stretching. For cowashing I use motions after shampoo condition b/c the suave and VO5 still tend to leave my hair dry.

Im relaxed but I don't start cowashing until I'm 4weeks post. But I still only wash once a week and cowash once a week b/c mostly I'm bunning when I'm stretching. For cowashing I use motions after shampoo condition b/c the suave and VO5 still tend to leave my hair dry.

WEN FIG makes my hair moist and full! Love it!

I cowash 3-4 times a week but I'm thinking about stepping up to daily cowashing in the summer. I cowashed daily while I wore micros (I clarified with baking soda and water once a week though). I really like it. I usually cowash with Tresemme Moistuirzing condish or Suave Humectant :love:, seal with EVOO, then tie with a scarf and let it airdry. I usually do this in the morning before I make my deliveries.

I think cowashing really helped with retaining moisture because my hair was always dry and moisturizers didn't seem to help.

i do. i noticed that with my hair cowashing is the only way i can really keep my hair soft and moist. the only cheapie (even though its $6 for the large pump) conditioner i can used is aussie moist. i throw on some cfcg for my ends and mini-bun away. when i take my hair down at night my ends are still moist and my hair still soft and moisturized.

I do...and I use Vo5 moisture milks...afterwards I let my hair air dry about 90% and then moisturize and do a braid out...works wonders for me. I don't detangle much with a comb.

I am texlaxed and my hair hated being cowashed everyday. My hair had so many knots I had to do a trim. Give it a try it may work for your hair.

I wash and Deep contion my hair along with a protein treatment every week...ONCE a week is enough...I definately dont want to deal with my hair more than that.

gissell, you sure do have a lot of hair to deal with. I'm full CBL so I wash whenever I feel like it. Sometimes it's everyday or sometimes it's every other day. I just got my hair relaxed, and this whole wait 72 hours rule is cramping my style, and my hair a so dry. I'm afraid to use a water based product too because I don't want to revert the perm.

Back