Relaxed Hair with Natural Tendencies?

ajoyfuljoy

My hair shrinks I believe 25-30% of it's length. If my hair is air-dried out, it ends up huge! I mean huge yall :lachen: I am not texlaxed, not bone straight, just in the middle. I do relax the maximum time.

My hair still has serious texture to it. I do braidouts all the time and I'm sure I'll be doing this for at least the whole summer.

I know I'm not natural, but my hair often reminds me of natural hair. Anyone else?

My mom. She gets a relaxer (which I tell her she doesn't need) but she can throw some mousse in her hair and it'll look like a twist or braidout

My hair shrinks I believe 25-30% of it's length. If my hair is air-dried out, it ends up huge! I mean huge yall :lachen: I am not texlaxed, not bone straight, just in the middle. I do relax the maximum time.

My hair still has serious texture to it. I do braidouts all the time and I'm sure I'll be doing this for at least the whole summer.

I know I'm not natural, but my hair often reminds me of natural hair. Anyone else?

Me too!!!!!!

My mom. She gets a relaxer (which I tell her she doesn't need) but she can throw some mousse in her hair and it'll look like a twist or braidout

My mom told me the same thing about me not needing it from the start and yet I insisted and she still says that now which has convinced me to just transition to natural.

I think I have natural tendencies.

If I stretch past 8 weeks people think I'm natural.

I was using a regular strength relaxer and people thought I pressed my hair.

Most people (including my mother) think that I just get my hair blown out and pressed every now and then. They're shocked when I tell them I'm relaxed. I can't count the amount of times I have been to the BSS and women have said to me "Well, if you just got a relaxer...."

I love that my hair still has texture and thickness to it. I like to wear it in huge puffy buns and braidouts as well as just airdried straight.

Last edited:
My hair was like that when I relaxed. It would curl up just as much as it does now and straightening it took the same amount of work as it does natural! lol :)

the day i relax it's really thin and straight due to the dominican blowout
after the first week or so it's super thick again and after the first wash...super poofy
haha!!

I understand. When I was relaxed years ago, I used to wonder why bother relaxing. It never looked straight, never held a curl. Except for the day I walked out the salon, it always looked like I never even had a relaxer.

I'm now 7 weeks after my last touch up. I cowashed yesterday morning and my hair was a natural mess once it dried.:wallbash: The new growth was tangled and my straight hair was puffy. I did a ACV rinse later in the night and ORS DC and it did a whole turnaround (soft manageable). Usually I can flatiron it easily and if it's not hot out it'll take great. Two days ago I tried flatironing, wrapped it, went to bed w/ satin scarf and woke up to unwrap- I felt like I'd transitioned overnight.:lachen:
I'm glad you did this thread OP because I've always felt this way but, would never admit that my hair had natual tendencies.:yep:
My hair look relaxed up to 3-4 wks and its all gone to hell afterwards.

you're not alone. my hair thinks relaxer is a barrel of laughs, too. that's partly the reason why I'm texlaxed. there's no point in trying to straighten my hair too much. it will go right back to "normal" soon enough.

This was me when I was relaxed. I really loved it right after a fresh touch up when folks asked when I was going to get a touch up :wallbash: :grin:

My hair is like that too. I'm about 10 weeks post and I washed my hair yesterday, why did it look like I had a BAA after I dried it under they dryer (not a rollerset just straight) :nono:

My hair never had that limp just relaxed look.

ETA: In my avatar, I was six months post and it looked like I was just brushing APL, well my siggie was taken in February and you can clearly see that it is past APL. Shrinkage is a problem for me :nono:

Last edited:
Yes! I even did a corrective relaxer thinking that was the problem, a few weeks later it was back to business. My hair is huge right now! Dan humidity!

Glad to know I'm not the only one! No matter how long the relaxer sits...my hair curls up. I can never get a wet cut....because of the curly factor. Its almost like the relaxer straightens my hair...but can not change the curl pattern...if that makes sense. When I do a "braid out" I just apply my leave in and it automatically curls up...hanging loose...It's weird but very conveinent!!

You're describing my relaxed hair back in the day! :yep: I used to even leave the stuff on past the maximum time, to no avail.

I finally figured why bother... might as well be natural then! :lol:

This was me when I was relaxed. I really loved it right after a fresh touch up when folks asked when I was going to get a touch up :wallbash: :grin:

Yes, my good friend who is also my beautician always mentions how much texture I have left in my relaxed hair. It just ain't budging :lachen:

I know a lot of ladies who are in the 3's have this issue ( there seemed to be somewhat of a consensus about that in that other thread), but the funny thing is, I'm not a 3, I'm a 4a. I think it's both our issue. :yep:

I'm a 4 and this happens to me as well. I'm currently 9 weeks post and people always ask me how long I've been natural. By default I'm texlaxed cause it never relaxes completely straight (plus it doesn't help that I have a sensitive scalp)

When I was relaxed, the stylists used to leave in my relaxer for almost an hour, so I was trying to be bone straight, but that stuff was still bushy and frizzy. It was trying to tell me something even then :)

Old thread but idc :look:

But yeah my hair gets really big when airdried too and untameable, that's why I love doing it so much. Also combing out braidouts after it has dried on wet hair also gives me big hair. I'm not texlaxed but my hair isn't bone straight either.

Back