Relaxed Bone Straight, No Direct Heat, AND Stretch Relaxers??? Let's Talk....

Hmmm I never realized how bad combing was in the middle of my stretch. I think I'll try finger coving if I need to for the next week and see how that goes.

But I use DB Transitioning Creme on my NG. I also use it to moisturizer. Keeps my NG soft and wavy for about 3 days!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sunnieb said:
pre_medicalrulz - forgot to answer your question! Yes, deep conditioning helps. Doesnt matter if it's protein dc or moisturizing dc, my newgrowth feels like butta afterwards. :yep:

Onhergrind09 - ya know one of the main reasons I started out not using heat was that I just didn't feel like being bothered? I even had a Chi flat iron all picked out. ;) However, the more I thought about the effort required for me to do a good flat iron job at home.....:nono: I keep my dry hair detangled constantly. :yep:

cutiepiebabygirl - rinsing condish out in the shower with a head full of newgrowth feels sooooo good! I used WEN Fig last night and my hair loved it. I'm very heavy-handed with my cowash conditioners. No quarter-sized amount here!

Anavrin - you are a big help! :) You reminded me to continue looking for a silk headband. I haven't been able to find one made of 100% silk.

Lilmama1011 - don't ya hate when you crush your curls??? Have you tried the "pineapple" method mentioned here? I'll see if I can bump a thread for you.

Fyne - thanks for the tips and the link! You relax 2x a year?? Girrrrlllll.......:worship2:

Yeah I tried the pineapple method and all it did was stretch my curls and looked a hot mess

Sunnib :D The trick is to keep that newgrowth managable and supple, like you I cant have a lazy day & seeing the progress at the end of a stretch is soooo worth it!!

Lilmama1011 What about pincurling??

Fyne said:
Sunnib :D The trick is to keep that newgrowth managable and supple, like you I cant have a lazy day & seeing the progress at the end of a stretch is soooo worth it!!

Lilmama1011 What about pincurling??

I'm too lazy for that , I want my night time regimen to be simple

Lilmama1011 - I hear you! :lol:

As much as I love all things hair and hair related, I am not trying to spend an hour every night doing "stuff". I don't have it in me.

I've just started back moisturizing in sections because I wear my hair down all the time now. I literally have to force myself to do that. Don't need to add anything extra.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

sunnieb said:
Lilmama1011 - I hear you! :lol:

As much as I love all things hair and hair related, I am not trying to spend an hour every night doing "stuff". I don't have it in me.

I've just started back moisturizing in sections because I wear my hair down all the time now. I literally have to force myself to do that. Don't need to add anything extra.

And I'm a big time fan in moisturizing, my hair has to be shiny and moisturized. I seriously have OCD about having dry hair. I won't lay on my significant other because his shirts are cotton if we are watching tv or etc, I always put my arms up and lay on it. And if I use a new product and it's not to my normal shininess I swear up and down its dry and re wash with something else

Hi Sunnieb, I have the same problem! I texlax 1-2x's a year sometimes longer. The only thing that has helped me with the new growth are braidouts. When I am 6mths post or longer, I can't do WnG b/c of the matting. Another thing that seems to be helping is daily de-shedding. I don't comb my hair but I do finger comb everyday to get rid of the shedding and that seems to be helping me not get so many tangles. DC helps ALOT. I DC and co-wash twice a week and I make sure I use alot of moisture. My fav product to use when I have alot of new growth is crecepelo. That stuff really works.

If I want to change things up, I'll blow dry my hair and bun. For me, I can't bun my hair without blow drying it first when I am post so many weeks. If I am bunning then I will only cowash my hair every two weeks b/c of the blow drying. But for me the most important thing is that MOISTURE!

I hope this helps! :)

pelohello said:
Hi Sunnieb, I have the same problem! I texlax 1-2x's a year sometimes longer. The only thing that has helped me with the new growth are braidouts. When I am 6mths post or longer, I can't do WnG b/c of the matting. Another thing that seems to be helping is daily de-shedding. I don't comb my hair but I do finger comb everyday to get rid of the shedding and that seems to be helping me not get so many tangles. DC helps ALOT. I DC and co-wash twice a week and I make sure I use alot of moisture. My fav product to use when I have alot of new growth is crecepelo. That stuff really works.

If I want to change things up, I'll blow dry my hair and bun. For me, I can't bun my hair without blow drying it first when I am post so many weeks. If I am bunning then I will only cowash my hair every two weeks b/c of the blow drying. But for me the most important thing is that MOISTURE!

I was just saying yesterday the next conditioner I want to try is the crece pelo, so it's really that good huh? I like the smell :)

pelohello - yep, moisture is the most important aspect of my hair routine.

I used to fight with my dry, coarse, tightly-kinked hair all the time! It was never my intention to stretch my relaxers for too long and I definitely didn't think I could do it without heat!

Now, (whining aside) I can stretch successfully as long as I work with my hair instead of against it. I must drench my ends in moisturizer and set it properly before going to bed.

My hair rewards me by behaving and giving me bouncy curls.

Here's the results of sleeping in 4 bantu knots last night that I generously moisturized with ORS Carrot Oil:

ForumRunner_20120808_073926.jpg

I never intentionally stretch past 12 weeks(that's just asking for trouble and defeating my purpose). But when my newgrowth gets to be a lot to handle, I use french perm stabilizer as a final rinse. There are a few threads about it on here.

I currently at week 16 and have 7 more weeks to go. I relax in April and October. I normally texlax, But, this time I'm going for bone straight. I like that a lot better.

I shampoo once or twice a month depending on how my scalp feels. But, the rest of the time is co-washing. And I do all of this in braided to minimize tangling. I air dry and then flat iron, but with nothing about 350 and I always use a heat protectant.

I JUST relaxed bone-straight on Friday. So I'm smooth and fresh and without worry.
I had a wedding, so I had my hair roller set... but I confess, NOW WHAT???:perplexed
I'm back to work, back to routine, except now I'm weave-less! I dunno what to do on a daily basis, because I don't have a relaxed-hair routine.:perplexed
It's all new to me.

So far I've just reset with 2 or 3 bendy rollers in the night. Is that ok?
And I put some moisture in before bed.
Otherwise... nothing.

From the sound of it, I probably should give it a wash. I don't want to lose my new healthy bra-strap length.

Monaleezza - welcome to the relaxed side!

Since you are freshly relaxed, you can get away with more, but you will need a regular routine.

Basics are: deep conditioning, protein treatments, regular moisturizing, and keeping tabs on your ends.

Check out the threads in the Relaxed Hair sticky for more info. :yep:

I cowash 2x/week and air dry 99.9% of the time. The only time I apply heat is right after my relaxer. I stretch my relaxer for 5-6 months. The scarf method also help tame my edges.

Now, I can't really remember if this roller pic went with this particular braidout (I don't think it did), but this is what I do sometimes. If I'm not feeling too lazy, or if I'm worried about breakage from hair being weight and fragile, I'll do individual plaits (which is what I think I did below), but I still put the rollers on the end.
braidout prep 7.3.12.jpg
Here's my little contribution. Whether natural or relaxed, I love braidouts.
braidout 7.5.12.jpg

If I want to change things up,

I'll blow dry my hair and bun. For me, I can't bun my hair without blow drying it first when I am post so many weeks. If I am bunning then I will only cowash my hair every two weeks b/c of the blow drying. But for me the most important thing is that MOISTURE!

:blush:This is me too! the heat straighten & soften my new growth. I will wash only once a month (but I'm a wiggie!) It's too hot for wigs now.
now I wear a bun or 2 braids I luv scarves.
I wash twice a month( this help me w my stretch) low maintenance.....:look: I comb with a detangler, oil scalp once a week.
I tried Tshirt air drying this week..... it was okay my ng was flat...
I'll do it again after a relaxer....
I didn't waste my time trying to roller set......:nono:
the bun is the way to go....

What products you used?

Lilmama1011, girl I wish I could tell you that I have a staple, but I don't. What I can say is for the twists, it was more than likely done on dry hair, dampened with just a little leave-in spray conditioner, with a little oil (probably crisco, but may have been something else too)on top of that. Afterward it was all twisted up, I probably spritzed with a little more water, not even enough to really call it damp (slightly damp i guess) just to make sure everything set.

The braidout was done on wet hair (after towel drying or airdrying for a bit so that it isn't dripping wet), spraying on the leave-in conditioner and topping it with crisco. Did single braids with rollers on the ends.

i am going to try this but only for 10-12 weeks if my hair can hang. right now i shampoo my hair twice a week with a gentle cleanser and dc. i am now drying to get my grove on with this air drying thing and detangling thing.

my new growth looks like i have about 7 weeks of it, but my hair was underprocessed last time. so i have to be very gentle.

i was able to comb through my new growth very gently. i finger detangled first after tee shirt drying for 20 mins. i don't know if i am exaggerating, but i didn't cause any breakage this time. i really took my time. especially using my wide toothed comb. it took me 20 mins total to go through each section of my hair.

trying to detangle wet hair is not the business. damp, mostly dry is better for me.

i plan to bun mostly, but i want to try dry rolling with flexi rods and hot rollers to give me some curl and body when i wanna be sexy! :lol:

Back