Relaxed 4a/b Fine Hair

Kayluv

Is stretching not for our type of hair. I am 9 weeks posts and I can't believe how much hair I lose. I am starting to think this is just the way my hair is. No matter how gently I comb my hair I have strands on the back of my shirt and on the floor. I believe I am doing all the right things such as dcing and balancing moisture and protein. On the flip side, my hair has grown. When I found LHCF about late 2007 my hair was above my ears and it is now almost below shoulder, but I can't figure out why my hair sheds the way it does. :wallbash: I am starting to think that stretching may be the culprit :perplexed because I am blessed to have hair that grows at a good rate. Yesterday, I decided to blow dry (I only blow dry about once every 3-4 months) because I did not want to deal with the hassle of trying to comb and part my hair to rollerset it. Blowdrying my hair was actually easier. Airdrying just equals poofy mess.

How do you fine hair ladies deal with it?

Thanks!

It just takes practice and it also depends from person to person. I have fine strands, just a whole lot of them. So when my new growth starts coming in, it's REALLY thick and curly.

For me the key to stretching has been lots of deep conditioning, protein treatments, and just being as gentle as I can with my hair. Products and what I use have made longer stretches possible for me. And funny enough I don't switch products around at different stages of my stretches. It's just generally the staples of my regimen that I've found that works overall.

As far as technique and styling... I normally will air dry to 80%, then blow dry on a low/warm setting, and then flat iron on a low setting. I don't always get the roots closest to my scalp super duper straight, however I love how it gives my hair more volume. As of late, I have been trying to limit my heat usuage to 1x a week. So braidouts and bantu sets on 80% air dried hair has been my best friend. Again for air drying to work for me, I have to use a creamy leave-in and lately I've been sealing with coconut oil which has given my hair incredible SHINE. I also use a wide tooth comb to detangle the hair, and then I also use it to gently seperate the hair every 10 mins or so as it dries. I never loose anything but sheds this way, however it allows my hair to breathe while drying so it wont clump up, and I can have an easier time styling afterwards.

Whew what a long reply. It's 5:30 am here, I hope this makes sense, lol.

Shedding is normal. No need to worry unless its excessive. The average is 100 hairs a day.

Stretching may not be for everyone. I always got a relaxer in the past at 5 weeks and this last time i decided to stretch for 10 weeks :nono:. That didn't work out for me...i lost a lot of hair and my NG was so thick the beautician couldn't get the relxer on in the normal time. So i've figured that 7 weeks is the longest i can go w/o my hair fighting back like a ninja :lachen:

I have fine hair and NOT a lot of it. However, I still find stretching beneficial. The thing you have to learn is your limit, I use to do 24-32 weeks stretches, now I have learned that 14-16 weeks is as long as I should go to avoid unnecessary breakage. Because I have 4b fine hair...I do not comb it dry (unless I have just gotten a touch-up), I only finger style and finger comb my hair to prevent too much manipulation.

I've also found that henna helps with stretching by keeping the coils tangle free when you have a lot of NG. Also using protein weekly once you start to see ng with keep your hair strong and prevent breakage.

You really have to experiment around with stretching to find out what works for you. They're a lot of other things that can factor in such as styling, drying methods and products that can change your results.

I relax every 12 weeks. I don't really have thick new growth so I haven't experienced any problems.

I always deep condition with protein and moisture and do hot oil treatments.

I use a thicker and creamier leave in and deep conditioner when I'm about 10 weeks post, that's when my new growth is really noticeable.

I always rollerset and I haven't experienced any problems thus far.

I won't be relaxing again until Jan/Feb so I don't know if I'll have to switch up my routine.

Low manipulation is key with my fine, 4b relaxed hair. Weekly DCs also help and it doesn't hurt to co-wash. The main issue is keeping my protein up (my hair loves protein) and keeping the NG soft. I relaxed at the 7 week mark last week but I'm going to try to push for 8 weeks this cycle. We'll see. I think stretching can work for me but I absolutely MUST keep the NG soft otherwise I get a little breakage.

Thanks, OP! I swear I was going to post something similar. How is everyone wearing there hair?

I just feel the longer I stretch the more I have to focus on the roots. They are a pain!!! I lack styling options due to breakage and I feel like I stuggle to lay my hair down. My hair is too thick at the roots to wrap. If i manage to wrap it when I comb it down in the morning it looks like ish!!! So I reach for the flat iron and I know the heat is not helping my situation.

So I feel like the only thing I can do is weave it up.I dont care for braids.

Just felt like ranting...sorry!

I'm so glad for this thread! For my fine 4b hair, I too realized more breakage after 8 weeks. So at 6 weeks I switch routines. If I don't give up and get cornrows or braids, what helps me is that once I hit 6 weeks post I now have to oil my roots as well as my ends. Also, at this point I don't comb my roots when their dry with a fine toothed comb. I use a bigger comb at the root and the finer toothed comb on the relaxed ends. At night, I won't do a regular wrap. Instead I'll do that low pony-tail cross wrap thingy. That keeps my part in the front nice and flat. And then caruso rollers in the morning for my bob.

What I don't like is that I have to straighten my roots once a week with a flat iron or my bob just looks plain old tacky. But my hair seems to like the weekly heat :)

After 6 weeks post, I always do cornrows or a weave, then after 4 weeks of that, I hide my hair under a wig to strech it alittle more, 12-14 weeks. This time Im stretching to 16 weeks

I relax every 12 weeks. I don't really have thick new growth so I haven't experienced any problems.

I always deep condition with protein and moisture and do hot oil treatments.

I use a thicker and creamier leave in and deep conditioner when I'm about 10 weeks post, that's when my new growth is really noticeable.

I always rollerset and I haven't experienced any problems thus far.

I won't be relaxing again until Jan/Feb so I don't know if I'll have to switch up my routine.

What kind of products do you use?

I lost alot of hair yesterday after I washed and it bothered me a little. Perhaps 8 weeks is my limit. I used Joico Kpak for 5 min and then deep conditioned with Biolage conditioning balm for about 40 minutes and my hair still felt rough.

Hi Ladies. A 4a/4b relaxed head checking in. Very fine strands.

What bothers me most is like now when I am about 3 months post and I wash my hair my relaxed strands look so thin against my NG.

My hair is fine/thin 4b and I found that I can't stretch no longer than 12wks. I did a stretch for 17wks one time and I had alot of tangles and shedding. My new growth does not come in thick and I usually protective style alot with phony ponys, buns, lacewigs or half wigs so I won't have to manipulate it alot. I also wash and DC weekly which helps. I think I am going to stop airdrying because it makes my hair rough and poofy

I lost alot of hair yesterday after I washed and it bothered me a little. Perhaps 8 weeks is my limit. I used Joico Kpak for 5 min and then deep conditioned with Biolage conditioning balm for about 40 minutes and my hair still felt rough.

My hair was tangled something serious last night, lost alot of hair myself. (14 weeks post) Very annoyed. Im gonna start doing the adding conditioner in sections technique. Hopefully that will help

At the moment, I agree with Sylver2, that the key to a longer stretch is no manipulation. I rollerset it once a week and then I leave it alone in a french roll for then rest of the week. This cut down on a lot of the breakage I was getting on wash day

DC'ing and co-washing are definitely the key to keeping my new growth soft. I have started applying my dc concoctions with a tinting brush, as if I was applying a relaxer.

I absolutely hate shedding especially since my hair is fine and thin. Protein, tea rinses, henna and garlic pills kinda help though.

I'm fine haired and relaxed I stretch for 12 weeks. But sometimes when I'm around week 10 I give in and relax. The tangles are just too much and I lose alot of hair.

What kind of products do you use?

1. I do hot oil treatments with olive oil
  2. 2-step Aphogee every 6 weeks
  3. Protein deep condition with aphogee 2 minute or motions cpr
  4. Deep condition with motions moisture plus or pantene mask
  5. Wash with Aphogee deep moisture or shampoo for damaged hair or Pantene shampoo and conditioner
  6. I use Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, or Pantene silkening creme or a mixture as a leave in when I rollerset and Chi Silk or Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum on top of that
  7. I use John Frieda spray as moisturizer at night or HE Long Term Relationship as a creamy moisturizer on my ends
I wear a protective style at least 2 days out of the week. My usual protective style is below:

DSC01737.jpg
DSC01735.jpg

My hair is fine/thin 4b and I found that I can't stretch no longer than 12wks. I did a stretch for 17wks one time and I had alot of tangles and shedding. My new growth does not come in thick and I usually protective style alot with phony ponys, buns, lacewigs or half wigs so I won't have to manipulate it alot. I also wash and DC weekly which helps. I think I am going to stop airdrying because it makes my hair rough and poofy

@bolded...I will relax between 9-12 weeks - my hair is too fine to go beyond that point. I don't do the braids, ponies, and very rarely do any type of protective styling(when I don't feel like rollersetting my hair). The shedding drives me crazy. What saves me is using AO HSR/GPB on dry hair overnight and shampooing in the morning following up with a moisturizing condish...

Every two weeks I will do an Emergencee treatment

Hi There. I am a fine haired lady and I am a stretcher. I am currently 25 weeks post, in fact. Stretching works for me; I swear by it. I just love the wonderful surprise I get in length retention- I just wouldn't be as pleased with an eight week stretch.

My key to long stretches is moisture, moisture, moisture, protien, and putting my hair in styles that require no manipulation.

1. I do hot oil treatments with olive oil
  2. 2-step Aphogee every 6 weeks
  3. Protein deep condition with aphogee 2 minute or motions cpr
  4. Deep condition with motions moisture plus or pantene mask
  5. Wash with Aphogee deep moisture or shampoo for damaged hair or Pantene shampoo and conditioner
  6. I use Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, or Pantene silkening creme or a mixture as a leave in when I rollerset and Chi Silk or Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum on top of that
  7. I use John Frieda spray as moisturizer at night or HE Long Term Relationship as a creamy moisturizer on my ends
I wear a protective style at least 2 days out of the week. My usual protective style is below:

DSC01737.jpg
DSC01735.jpg

CeeBee - you have very pretty hair, that is such a cute style! Is that you in your avatar - I thought it was pic from a magazine

LOL, thank you. That's not me, it's an image I got from google of a style I'm trying to recreate. I haven't been successful yet.

I have fine hair and I am 4a/b. I am currently 53 weeks post relaxer (relaxing 26 sept). For me the key was d/c and applying it like a relaxer. I alternate between moisture and protein and I was doing braids 8 weeks in 2 weeks out. I cowash while in braids alternating moisture and protein. I am very gentle with my hair and have had no problems. My last dusting was in March or April (cant remember) and the stylist said it was doing well with no signs of breakage. I am getting another dusting with my relaxer (self relax). From now on I will be only dong 6 month stretch cause I missed my hair too much.

I have fine hair and I am 4a/b. I am currently 53 weeks post relaxer (relaxing 26 sept). For me the key was d/c and applying it like a relaxer. I alternate between moisture and protein and I was doing braids 8 weeks in 2 weeks out. I cowash while in braids alternating moisture and protein. I am very gentle with my hair and have had no problems. My last dusting was in March or April (cant remember) and the stylist said it was doing well with no signs of breakage. I am getting another dusting with my relaxer (self relax). From now on I will be only dong 6 month stretch cause I missed my hair too much.

:perplexed 53 weeks post?? So basically you're natural then? Are you transitioning or do you intend to go back to relaxers?

My longest stretche was like 16 weeks.....and that was an abandoned attempt at transitioning. I shed a whole lot more when there is a lot of new growth. I have found the Mizani Rose H2O helps quite a bit with shedding at that time. I generally wear a bun or some kind of pinned up style by that time. Right now I am going 10 weeks.

Back