Relationship Advice Literature?

BeautifulFlower

Whats the best relationship advice (self-help) book you've ever read personally?

Please include book title and author in your post. You can also include how the book helped you.

Thanks ladies!

Wow... I have a few.

-"Why Men Marry Some Women and Not Others." Can't remember the author. We had a good thread on the board about this as well.

I liked this one because it pointed out specifically that the women who typically marry were the ones who made it clear to their dating partners that they were dating with the expectation of married and did not plan to stay in a relationship without the prospect of marriage in a reasonable amount of time. That contradicted all the real-life people who said that I shouldn't bring up marriage too soon because I might scare a man away.

This book also said that busy professional women who want marriage have to be willing to make time and some sacrifices to have a social life... otherwise, they're likely to remain unmarried. Those busy women who complain about their lack of time to be social and do nothing to change that will likely not see a change in their status.

-"He's Just Not That Into You," by Greg Behrendt. (sp?)

I know a lot of people don't like this book and I don't agree with every single thing in it. BUT... this does a great job of dismissing the excuses that women often make for a man who isn't putting in effort and presents great examples to the contrary. Like the "he's busy," excuse -- unless a man is on some super-secret CIA mission or in the Peace Corps somewhere, there is no such thing as being too busy to make a quick phone call.

-"Why He Didn't Call You Back: 1,000 Guys Reveal What They Really Thought About You After Your Date," by Rachel Greenwald

Again, I don't agree with everything here, and some of the men interviewed were just shallow. But they pointed out some mistakes that women might be making early on without realizing it. My FH really liked this book too... he said that the goal of a first date (if you are just really getting to know the person) is to get to a second date. In other words, just have fun and be relaxed on the first date. All the serious stuff will happen naturally later on, but give yourself the opportunity to have a man really enjoy your company the first time so that he'll want to see you again! There's little point of having a bunch of first dates if they never end up as second (and third) dates!

I've got a lot more too... I collect said books as fodder for my future one... :look:

^^^^Thanks Bunny. I can always count on you.

OT question, do you and FH plan to start having children immediately?

I am currently interested in rekindling a romance with a long time friend who is a bit older than me (im 24 he's 32) and I need to pay attention to what I'm doing and not doing now. From seeing the person you are, I know you'd like him. LOL. He very educated and a very critical thinker. He's also the guy that's hard to maintain his interest.

^^^^Thanks Bunny. I can always count on you.

OT question, do you and FH plan to start having children immediately?

I am currently interested in rekindling a romance with a long time friend who is a bit older than me (im 24 he's 32) and I need to pay attention to what I'm doing and not doing now. From seeing the person you are, I know you'd like him. LOL. He very educated and a very critical thinker. He's also the guy that's hard to maintain his interest.

I love that type of man! :)

I know that FH and I want to wait a year and then try for kids. Now, we wouldn't be against an "accidental" pregnancy in our first year of marriage (which wouldn't really be all that accidental), but we figure that a year would give us time to enjoy us... something we haven't been able to do being long distance. Also, we can pay down a little debt and move into the house we want.

But yes, he definitely wanted to be with someone who wanted kids sooner rather than later. He wasn't looking for someone who wanted to wait 4-5 years before having kids. He's 38 and I'm 32, so I too recognize that while I'm not in that fertility "danger zone," I'm not trying to prolong the process either!

Keep us posted on the guy! :)

Pretty,
Here are a few you may have read already but were really helpful...
Help Me I'm Married- Joyce Meyer
The 5 Love languages- Gary Chapman
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus-John Gray
The Successful Family- Creflo Dollar
Focus on the family has a lot of good resources too.:yep:

The Fasinating Girl by Helen B. Andelin, a controversial book due to its tradtional approach, but it taught me a whole lot.

"Why Men Won't Commit: Getting What You Both Want Without Playing Games". This was a very interesting read I came across while I was killing time one day in Barnes'n'Noble. I end up reading the whole book while I was there. Gives interesting insight from a man's perspective.

"What Women Don't Know (and men don't tell you)" by Michelle McKinney Hammond and Joel A. Brooks, Jr.

Very insightful, I'm thinking of re-reading it. :yep:

Back