Reed Between the Lines...(hair episode)

Storyteller

Reed Between the Lines is a new show on BET that stars Malcom-Jamal Warner and Tracee Ellis Ross thats something like a blended modern day cosby show (with less kids lol). They have 3 kids a set of twins (boy and girl) and a little girl. Both of the girls are natural.

Annyywhooo, I just watched the episode called "Let's talk about hair" and was wondering if any of you ladies had seen it and what were your thoughts?

I saw the episode and enjoyed it. I'm glad I DVR'd it so my oldest daughter (she's 9) can watch it. I've never seen a TV show touch on natural hair so that was really refreshing/different to see. I'm glad that Tracee mentioned that girls shouldn't change their hair because of a boy. It should be a personal choice, but not a choice made because we want to mold ourselves into society standards of beauty.

I missed the premiere, but caught the Ron Artest episode, as well as this one last night. I don't think I've ever seen a show tackle the issue of natural hair, and I enjoyed seeing it done here. That was pretty much the only thing I enjoyed though....

I don't think I've ever seen a show tackle the issue of natural hair, and I enjoyed seeing it done here. That was pretty much the only thing I enjoyed though....

I completely agree. I just watched the natural hair episode and it was nice to see natural hair be the topic of conversation but I think the show is lacking in the comedy department :ohwell:. I don't know if it's the delivery or just the script itself, but it just wasn't my cup of tea (i.e. Girlfriends, the Game). I'm curious to hear other opinions.

It was cute, but a little too preachy b/w joan and theo (lol forgot their new names)...Sadly, I was cringing as she passed the flat iron like 30 times on the same spot of the daughter's hair...I was like OMG..She's gonna have heat damage..lol

I don't think I've ever seen a show tackle the issue of natural hair, and I enjoyed seeing it done here. That was pretty much the only thing I enjoyed though....

I just watched the natural hair episode and it was nice to see natural hair be the topic of conversation but I think the show is lacking in the comedy department

I agree, ladies.

I like that they discussed the natural hair thing, but the show is underwhelming. The acting is dry and scripted, and I didn't chuckle once. (It is a comedy, right?)

I absolutely can't stand the two older children. They have no chemistry whatsoever and don't strike me as brother and sister at all.

And (a bit off topic) I don't care for the brother's style. It's like they try extra hard to make him "hip" :down:

I like the show, I think it's super cute but sometimes tries too hard when it comes to the scripting. I'm thinking that will change if the show comes back for a second and third season since it'll have a chance to incorporate feedback and evolve.

Personally though, I didn't like that particular episode. I thought it was over dramatic even for a 30 minute TV show. It felt like the message of being proud of one's hair got lost with the fact that Kacey seemed to identify too much with her hair. I've never been one to think that my hair makes me who I am, my spirit does so I just couldn't relate.

And (a bit off topic) I don't care for the brother's style. It's like they try extra hard to make him "hip" :down:

I agree, his fashion sense seems contrived, especially the nerdy glasses. It seems like he wouldn't be caught dead in those outside of the studio. Kind of like a teen trying too hard so they look up the definition of cool, hipster, and original to become cool, hipster, and original. :lol: :look:

I'm trying to like the sister but she's sometimes very in-your-face with her personality and beliefs.

I love Malcolm Jamal Warner but his character is way too cookie cutter, they try too hard to make him seem like the perfect husband and father; he's also ALL over Tracee Ellis constantly. In the last episode, when Karla and Alex go to a high school reunion and it's revealed that he cheated on a high school girlfriend was the ONLY time I felt like his character had an evident flaw that the audience could relate to.

Yep.^^ You're not missing much (in regards to cable) and I've only tuned in to this maybe once and I share a lot of the same feelings here. But yeah, not missing nothing but a big arse unnessecary bill, while not being able to find much of anything that's entertaining.

Yep.^^ You're not missing much (in regards to cable) and I've only tuned in to this maybe once and I share a lot of the same feelings here. But yeah, not missing nothing but a big arse unnessecary bill, while not being able to find much of anything that's entertaining.

Since Netflix became en vogue, I've lost all of my reasons to pay for cable. I do miss certain shows like Real Time With Bill Maher and The Daily Show, but its a small price to pay to not pay the large cable bill.

Back