Red Kool Aid = hair dye

jewel

I was reading on a hair web site www.curlyhairsalon.com and it mentioned a few ways to natually color the hair and one way was with red kool aid. Now, I like to drink red kool aid from time to time, but I have never considered putting it in my hair. My hair is a dark brown, I wonder if the kool aid will add some red tint. By chance have any of you ladies tried red kool Aid as a hair dye?

Wow, this takes me back! :lol: Red Kool-Aid was a really popular hair dye among girls when I was in middle/high school. They used it to add a reddish tint to their hair. It worked, but I have no idea how permanent or safe it was. I never tried it.

:lachen: This thread has me cracking up. When I was in high school these two females dyed their hair with red Kool-Aid. I never tried it because the Kool Aid in my house is for drinking--Don't mess with my Kool Aid! I don't know if the Kool Aid had any ill effects because both of their heads were tore up from the floor up all 4 years!

Are people outside of the ghetto really doing the red kool-aid hair dye thing? Wow I remember the girls doing that when we were in elmentary. :lol:

Yeah I used to do this. We used to add orange in the mix because it would help brighten the red. My hair was dry as a bone!:cool:

Hareitiz said:
And what flavor is Red Kool Aid?:lol: J/K I do recall some people doing this when I was in school!!

Yup, I remember this little trend as well, in high school. It did work, but I never tried it. I had a friend who did and it gave her hair a nice reddish tint. Was this only trend in the south??

LOL, I havenr heard this in about 15yrs or longer.. This was a common practice whne I was a young teenager. I rinsed my hair with red kool-aid many many times. It worked well on my sandy brown hair, especially after a fresh relaxer.
Wow, that seems like many many moons ago.:lol:

queen_t said:
Yup, I remember this little trend as well, in high school. It did work, but I never tried it. I had a friend who did and it gave her hair a nice reddish tint. Was this only trend in the south??

No, Im from Detroit, and when I was there in elementary and middle school I knew people who did this. I always wanted to, but my mom would have killed me :lol: .

I've mentioned this before but I used red food coloring mixed with mayonnaise so it was like a conditioning treatment. My hair was VERY red.. possibly because I left it in for a long time.

preciousjewel76 said:
Wow, this takes me back! :lol: Red Kool-Aid was a really popular hair dye among girls when I was in middle/high school. They used it to add a reddish tint to their hair. It worked, but I have no idea how permanent or safe it was. I never tried it.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, when i was in high school, all the white girls used to dye their hair with red koolaide as well. That was when that grunge look was popular... so they would be in all black clothes, with silver jewelery/accessories, and flaming red koolaide hair. I notice that the koolaide took better on the blonde girls. The brunettes hair would just take on an auburn/burgundy color.

I remember the goth/skater girls in middle school doing this. ONE black girl did it, but her hair was light brown, and she only dipped her ponytail in....it looked just like the rest of them a HAM:lol:

This was all the rage when I was in high school over 20 years ago. Didn't know they still did this. I never tried it. My poison of choice was Sun-in.

good2uuuu said:
This was all the rage when I was in high school over 20 years ago. Didn't know they still did this. I never tried it. My poison of choice was Sun-in.

Whoops! Lol, I did this when I was 11. I had "borrowed" the bottle from my mother and went to town spraying my whole head and running outside to play.

When I came in for dinner, my dad asked "Nicholle....what did you do?"

"What do you mean daddy?":grin: "Girl, go look in the mirror...you better hope that washes out."

I go look in the mirror and my hair is a brilliant, fiery ORANGE!

Needless to say, my mother put foot to tail that night, and I had to go through the whole summer, fall, winter, spring, and summer, with orange hair/ends

queen_t said:

Nope, I grew up in Ohio and it was really popular there. This was back in the late 80s-mid 90s.

good2uuuu said:

Sun-In!! That is taking me waaayyyy back!!!:lol:

preciousjewel76 said:

Yes! This was really popular back in the day!

Ahhh....the red kool-aid dye. It lives on.

But wait...

Did someone mention Sun-In? Oh, the memory. :nono: Suffice it to say that a hat, a quick run to the pharmacy and a box of blue-black hair dye were part of my teenage experience with this lovely product. :look:

Okayyy!! I will not be putting kool aid in my hair. I have to say you ladies are too funny with your childhood stories. I grew up in NYC and I do not remember girls using this as a hair dye. Maybe it happened, but I was too busy being boy crazy.

Nope. It was done in NYC also! My sister used to dye her hair like this in the 80's.

Ahh, red kool aid dye, Cazals and Kangol hats. I loooove the 80's!! :)

queen_t said:

OMG, I remember using this! I was NOT successful getting any brown highlights, though... :look:

good2uuuu said:

Back