Reconsidering blowdriers and curling irons!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
Hi Ladies,

I tend to agree with Caramela about using heat properly being ok. I have attempted to go without heat for about 1 month or so sometime last year but never really totally implemented that into my regime. I have always used heat (curling iron) to straighten out my new growth only. Since I air dry I tend to have very wavy roots even with all the drying techniques to straighten out the roots. When I say I straighten the roots only I DO NOT take the curling iron all the way down to the ends. The ends are the most important part of my hair in order to achieve length so I dont want to or need to put any heat on that part of my hair,but straightening the roots are necessary for me because I have less breakage when my roots are straight. I guess because there is less manipulation.For a heat protectant I use oil and Breakthru heat styling foam. Also I deep condition before I know that I am going to apply the heat. This is done once a week only. As far as blow dryers,it has been my experience that after I go through all of the trouble of putting moisture in my hair (deep conditioning,oils etc...) as soon as I blow dry my hair it appears very dry. Cathy Howse says in her book that when you blow dry you remove all the moisture that you put in,and oils. I do,however,agree with the method of blow drying when you allow it to air dry for a while before you blow dry. This seems ok and works since your hair will be mostly dry your blow drying time would be shorter. I do this once every 6 weeks or so.

Take care ladies.
Tee Tee

Hmmmm,

I have been doing the same. I use only the pressing comb once a week. I don't use a curling iron because the ends come out flipped up any way with a style. All I have to do is manipulate the ends under if I want that. My hair is just fine.
BUT! What I do is every month I give myself a barely there baby trim on the very ends, not enough to change the length. I am still seeing thick ends and length accumulation. The ends are fabulous and continues to have that fresh sheen to them, you know that just clipped look. And always feels good. My hair should be touching the shoulders by the end of May. The hair cut I gave myself this past Nov. resulted in my hair being just under the ears, slightly angled forward.

hada

has anyone used an ionic hair dryer, i saw several people recommend vidal sassoon ionic dryer. i want to try it sometimes because currently dont have a hair dryer and dont know where to find one yet so for the meantime i will see if i can use that and my flat iron with the ceramic flat iron just maybe once in a blue moon not every day. does that sound okay??? /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif God bless you all.

Hi Caramela,

Ironically, Wanakee subscribed to this theory. She said that blowdryers and curling irons used in moderation and on medium (or setting that were not hot enough to burn the hair) heat settings did not hurt the hair.

I also agree with this theory. I have the ionic dryer (by Ion) but don't really notice a difference between it and the regular blowdryer (Solano). I'm thinking of returning it and getting a bio ionic dryer. I'll give it a few more weeks 1st since the Bio Ionic dryer is so expensive.

One thing I notice is that even if i see steam, I don't smell hair burning.

But I love roller sets. My hair used to last longer and was moist and bouncy. I haven't had a blowdry and curl in a while, so I can't say that it still holds true. I also love the ceramic curling iron (Jilbere). I have yet to use it on my hair, but it did really well for 2 other peoples heads that I used it on.

Leigh

I just bought the Jilbere ceramic straightening iron last night and tried it and I now know what everyone is raving about. This curling iron by far excedes in excellence any curling iron I have ever used in my life. When I sectioned my hair and started passing the straightening iron over my new growth,my hair was instantly straightened with one quick stroke AND silky and shiny. Literally the new growth feels straighter than the rest of the length of the relaxed hair,thats how good this iron is. I am so pleased and even more pleased to know its less damaging. I should be able to go much longer between relaxers now. Right now I have a relaxer done every 6 weeks but I'm going to try to go at least 8-10 weeks next time.

Thanks to the ladies that mentioned this wonderful hair tool.

Tee

what products did you use prior to flat ironing it? i wanted to try the keracare silken seal because i heard it makes your hair come out real nice. some use wgo. God bless you all.

Armygt, I too am feeling Carmela on this topic and was shocked /images/graemlins/blush.gif and pleased when I saw /images/graemlins/look.gif it. I am horrible at roller setting and I can never get my hair to air dry without the ends looking frizzy, so I blow dry. I wash every 7-9 days and blow dry on low with a comb. I've been doing this for years /images/graemlins/smile.gif and my hair is growing since I've started my vitamin regimen in July, it's 3-4 inches past shoulder length. I also use the ceramic iron on low 3-4 times a month (I cut it down for 8 times a month /images/graemlins/wink.gif). I apply a thermal protectant and leave-in before using them.

Hi Azul,

I use Pantene leave in conditioner,kewee oil and Break-thru heat styling protecting foam before I use the ceramic straightening iron. Since the whole argument about using heat is that it dries the hair I try to over moisturize just a little so that any moisture taken out wont leave my hair dry. The ceramic iron,however,claims to not deplete the hair of moisture because of the even distribution of heat. My hair actually feels more moisturized,definitely more silky and shiny with this iron. When I'm done with my hair it looks like oriental hair. Very straight,shiny and black.

Tee

oh wow i have the breakthru protector and i just bought the new image damage free heat protectant i heard so much about on this site. i also plan to get paul mitchell's heat seal because i heard it helps with the humidity. i will have to pick up the ceramic flat iron sometime this month even though i cant use it now. i just want to have it and all the stuff i need on hand. God bless you all.

Try the Ionic blow dryer form Sharper Image. Instead of the hooded blowdryer, I use this for my deep conditioning treatments and I definitely see a diff in my hair. I also have slipped up
frown.gif
and used it up to 2x's a week to starighten my hair and I haven't had any damage..I actually see more split ends in my hair when I let it air dry.. I guess it all just depends on hair type

Does the type of blow dryer make a difference or whether you have a diffuser on it or not or what attachment you have or whether you have an attachment at all. Lol. A lot of questions I know but if I don't plan on using this often, when I do I wanan do it right to get the maximum results.

Back