Recommendations: Paraben-Free Moisturizers

miracle

I've been clearing out my hair products and am trying to eliminate some that contain parabens. This has been hard because most of my favorite products (mostly serums and moisturizers) are loaded with parabens and almost every moisturizing hair product that I pick up off of the shelves has them. :( :( Is anyone currently using or have a recommendation for a good paraben-free moisturizer? (Preferably under $10)

TIA, ladies!!!! :) :)

GIOVANNI DIRECT LEAVE-IN!!!!!!!! This stuff is soooooooooo good, and it has a myriad of purposes. You can use it for a leave-in or to roller set or as protection for ends (no silicone in it) or as a daily moisturizer. I used to have EQP Mango Butter, Profective Healthy Ends, Rusk, NTM Serum, EQP H-Two, and Aphogee Setting foam. I was able to do away with ALL of those and use Giovanni Direct. It's heavenly...lots of ladies like it, and if you do a search, you can read some of its glowing reviews...hth and HHG!

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to ask the chemical experts about all the rest of these ingredients but here are the ingredients for surge woojee cream. It doesnt have parabens listed but I know it dmdm hydantoin was on someones avoidance list, and some of the others may be also.

Water, Mineral Oil, Sorbitol, Steric Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Myristyl Myristate, Muccopolysaccharides, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Sorbitan Monooleate, Hydroxyethyl, cellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tea Tree Oil, Olive Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea butter, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Triethanolamine, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

Divine Inspiration said:
GIOVANNI DIRECT LEAVE-IN!!!!!!!! This stuff is soooooooooo good, and it has a myriad of purposes. You can use it for a leave-in or to roller set or as protection for ends (no silicone in it) or as a daily moisturizer. I used to have EQP Mango Butter, Profective Healthy Ends, Rusk, NTM Serum, EQP H-Two, and Aphogee Setting foam. I was able to do away with ALL of those and use Giovanni Direct. It's heavenly...lots of ladies like it, and if you do a search, you can read some of its glowing reviews...hth and HHG!

Opps...I accidently hit edit instead of quote above...sorry...

I'm glad you posted this, I actually got depressed when I put my mango butter in the bag tonight to give to my niece. The only thing I held on to tonight that had parabens was my qhemet heavy cream. I even put my mixed chicks leave in and qhemet honey bush soft tea gel in the give away bag and my beloved Ion leave in conditioner. I kept the motions foam, I didnt see parabens in it, tho i think it had the dmdm hydantion in it, but I had some other foams with parabens I am giving away. Lotions. Face serums.
I have this papaya body cream that smells good enough to eat. Gone Facial Mask, gone. I was able to keep my himani gold face cream tho the body lotion had to go. I have a couple of products that didnt have full ingredients on I kept as well. I'm going to order the giovanni direct this weekend. I was already eyeing their shampoo. Where is the cheapest place you purchase yours? I think I saw it at vita cost for less than 5 bucks every where else was 7.50. I dont know what their s&h is like tho.

Enchantmt said:

I'm glad you posted this, I actually got depressed when I put my mango butter in the bag tonight to give to my niece. The only thing I held on to tonight that had parabens was my qhemet heavy cream. I even put my mixed chicks leave in and qhemet honey bush soft tea gel in the give away bag and my beloved Ion leave in conditioner. I kept the motions foam, I didnt see parabens in it, tho i think it had the dmdm hydantion in it, but I had some other foams with parabens I am giving away. Lotions. Face serums.
I have this papaya body cream that smells good enough to eat. Gone Facial Mask, gone. I was able to keep my himani gold face cream tho the body lotion had to go. I have a couple of products that didnt have full ingredients on I kept as well. I'm going to order the giovanni direct this weekend. I was already eyeing their shampoo. Where is the cheapest place you purchase yours? I think I saw it at vita cost for less than 5 bucks every where else was 7.50. I dont know what their s&h is like tho.

I know how you feel, Enchantment. :cry: I was going through my products and couldn't believe how many were loaded down with parabens. It hurt me to my heart to give up my John Frieda Relax Serum. :cry: It's my fave serum of all time, but it's almost nothing but parabens. :eek: :eek: Luckily, none of my fave shampoos have parabens. I am holding on to my beloved Razac Leave-In (has one paraben), until I can get the Giovanni Leave-In. Now I'm off to check on the moisturizers that you ladies have recommended (thanks again, ladies). :) :)

ximenia said:
I looked up the ingredients for Giovanni and it contains grapefruit seed extract and I read on another board that grapefruit seed extract contains parabens.

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/57691

Did anyone on the other board mention where they got their research by any chance? I've been looking/googling, and I can't find any articles/studes that link grapefruit seed extract with parabens.....only that it's an alternative to parabens.

Last edited:
I mix glycerin, castor oil & water together in a bottle, shake it up then apply to my hair. No problems with moisture so far :up:

well, i've got my eye on John Masters Citrus & Neroli Detangler.

Purified deionized water, ricinus communis (castor oil), hydrolyzed wheat protein, wheat oligosaccharides, colza oil, cetearyl alcohol (vegetable-based emulsifier), acetamide mea, panthenol, hair keratin protein, hyaluronic, linolenic & linoleic acid (essential fatty acids), triticum vulgare (wheat germ oil),* simmondsia chinensis (jojoba oil),* sorbitol (organic humectant), tocopherol, sulfur, extracts of foeniculumvulgare (sweet fennel)* & equisetum arvense (horsetail),* essential oils of citrus limon (lemon),* lemon cubeba, citrus aurantium (neroli),* canarium luzonicum (elemi)* & citrus paradisi (pink grapefruit),* sodium hydroxymethylglycinate (natural enyzme preservative), potassium sorbate *certified organic

sareca said:
Uh, I have dumb question... What's a paraben?

All I know is that parabens are preservatives that help maintain the shelf life of products. I can't figure out why they are so bad. Can someone explain that? Are they cancer-causing? Thanks

This group of chemicals are used as preservatives in cosmetics, and are antibacterial agents in some antibacterial toothpastes. Four main parabens are in use: methyl, ethyl, propyl and butylparabens; many products will have 2 or more of these chemicals as part of a preservative system.
---

Parabens are preservatives that have been identified as estrogenic and disruptive of normal hormone functions.1 Estrogenic substances are chemicals foreign to the body that mimic the function of the naturally occurring hormone, estrogen.2 Estrogen has been shown to control the growth of breast cells,3 and exposure to external estrogens has been shown to increase the risk of breast cancer.
---

Use And Effects Of Parabens
As many as a dozen recent studies on the use of parabens as preservatives in many personal care products indicate that these ingredients are toxic and dangerous. Parabens are widely used as preservatives in topical personal care products. They appear as ingredients on labels of such products as methyl-, ethyl-, propyl-, isobutyl- and benzyl- (paraben). Parabens have been widely used because of their effectiveness and low-cost.
All topical products are preserved in some manner so that the products do not "spoil" or become "rancid" and unusable. Most manufacturers use parabens to preserve the shelf life of products.

At one point, parabens were thought to be excreted from the body, however, recent studies show that this is not the case. It is now known that parabens in personal care products (unlike food) absorb into the bloodstream, bypassing the gastrointestinal tract where they might be broken down. In other words, topical personal care products likely deliver one of the most potent dosages of parabens that could store in certain tissues of the body, causing toxic conditions and frightening health risks.

Parabens have been found to be present in cancerous breast tumor tissue of women patients undergoing surgery. In men, studies detected that exposure to parabens is related to decreased serum testosterone and sperm count. Researchers concluded that the safety in using these chemicals should be reassessed, although companies producing personal care products are not yet required to remove parabens as an ingredient.

like someone said if it's not one thing it's another. i would want to eliminate products with parabens including my beloves s curl if i could find something safe that work just as well. if i eliminate cosmetics like this i might as well change my diet and everything else that could put my health at risk. for those who suggest parabens are bad, what about relaxers? it may seem that i am biased because i am natural but i have contemplating a relaxer for a while.

Last edited:
Divine Inspiration said:
bumping for naturallady and trinidarkie

Thanks!
I looked at my Elasta QP moisturizer and it has methylparabens.. :Cry:
I think the Surge Moisture Aide has something in it too. NOT happy.

After looking at those two products, I stopped, because I JUST bought those things last week. I... CANT... TAKE... IT!!:confused:

I dont think I can do this guys! I checked my products in totality today and pretty much everything I use on a daily basis has parabens. I've tried to avoid the mineral oil and petrolatum, I just cant afford to buy all new products without parabens too.

I guess I'm gonna have to grow a third eye or something :lol:

Enchantmt said:

When did u order that? I went to their site and they said that all of their prods were now paraben free?!

*ElleB said:
When did u order that? I went to their site and they said that all of their prods were now paraben free?!

She changed the formula about 2-4 months ago. It had parabens at first. In fact, I was going to order it again last month but there was still a section on the site that had listed mixed parabens as part of the ingredients so I held off and got the sidr butter instead. What you quoted was from sept of last year.

trinidarkie1 said:
Thanks!
I looked at my Elasta QP moisturizer and it has methylparabens.. :Cry:
I think the Surge Moisture Aide has something in it too. NOT happy.

After looking at those two products, I stopped, because I JUST bought those things last week. I... CANT... TAKE... IT!!:confused:

I just bought this today. I don't see any parabens, unless it's under a hidden name.

BTW...Does it sting your scalp when you apply it?

Last edited:
BLESSED1 said:
I mix glycerin, castor oil & water together in a bottle, shake it up then apply to my hair. No problems with moisture so far :up:
Good sub for Scurl, Scurl is mostly glycerin and water and some liquid vitamins

Enchantmt said:
She changed the formula about 2-4 months ago. It had parabens at first. In fact, I was going to order it again last month but there was still a section on the site that had listed mixed parabens as part of the ingredients so I held off and got the sidr butter instead. What you quoted was from sept of last year.

O I see, I didn't look at the date....
How did the Sidr butter work out...I checked the site, and I just noticed it...

*ElleB said:
O I see, I didn't look at the date....
How did the Sidr butter work out...I checked the site, and I just noticed it...

Its not bad. Not as heavy as the heavy cream, and my twists came out nice. I still use myhoneychild soy butter to pull my hair back in a pony tail tho bcuz I've had some breakage and it isnt heavy enough to keep all the strays down. I plan on doing some reviews in a couple of weeks, I've tried a lot of new products lately but I have been too lazy to write about them.

According to the rec chart http://www.qhemetbiologics.com/chart.php on the website, the sidr tree butter balm is for fine, thin hair whereas the heavy cream is foir thick coarse hair. I received my jar last week and it is much lighter than the heavy cream, it's very creamy too. I think I'll use this as a summer leave in. It doesn't contain parabens either.

Back