Recommendations for stylist and products for dry hair!!

sweettrini

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a stylist and who else did I think to turn to but the knowledgeable ladies of LHCF?? (Yes I am trying to butter y'all up!! :lol: ) As some of you know, I am a texturized 4a/3c and I usually do my touchups at home. However due to my hair's growth (yay!! :D ) and thickness, it takes me too long to do each section properly, my arms are killin' me when I try to do the back and I am ready to turn it over to an EXPERIENCED stylist. Do any of you ladies go to or can recommend a stylist to do texturizers in the NYC are whose prices won't compete with my mortgage:( ?? I cannot afford Curve Salon.

Also on another note, my hair has become increasingly dry :confused: in last few months. I am 6 months pregnant. Do you think that has something to do with it? And what can I do to combat that? I CW every other day, but I must admit I haven't been as stringent with my deep conditioning schedule. What products are you guys using to retain moisture? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Also, please recommend a stylist who can also cut curly hair !! If you have 2 separate recommendations for cut and chemical service that's OK too.

Last edited:
for dryness deeop moisterizing conditioner treatments with cholesterol or another thick cond that you like. Also the baggie method, you moisterizxe your hair with s curl no drip or oil or whatever works for you and use a plastic cap over all your hair or a sandiwich baggie on the ponytail part and secure a phony ponytail over it and smooth the fron back. Adrienne and alot of other ladies do this to gain and keep length and moisture. hth

Thanks Lucia!! I will try to be more strict about my deep conditioning schedule. Any other ladies with tips for me?? :confused:

Trini, this is too funny! I'm also looking for a new stylist since I'll be moving to NYC this week! Congrats on the Baby! someone posted stylists for me in NYC but I haven't had the chance to call them or interview been so busy trying to move...the only names that pops to mind are Derrick Scurry (www.derrickscurry.com... I think he maybe pricey, I believed I called him once and his texturizers started at $75 not including style and cut!) the only other person I can remember is someone called marvin (he specializes in texturizers as well---I'll try to find the post for you)...

Re: Moving to NYC....here's a list of stylists in NYC Hey! I don't live there but there are **TONS** of Hair Salons in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem... even in places like White Plains, LI, Staten. I'm not sure which ones do texturizers, but here are a few salons.

Black owned:

Elegance Is Hair
(718) 643-1554 46 Hoyt St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
2.0 mi SE - Directions
References: thecityofnewyorkcity.com

Success Hair Salon
(718) 221-8900 1462 Fulton St
Brooklyn, NY 11216
4.1 mi SE - Directions

C. Black Hair
(718) 363-0600 1028 Rutland Rd
Brooklyn, NY 11212
5.5 mi SE - Directions

D. Black & White Hair Salon
(718) 353-2200 15034 Northern Blvd
Flushing, NY 11354
11 mi E - Directions

Beauty Hair Braiding
(973) 673-9116 210 Central Ave
Orange, NJ 07050
12 mi W - Directions

I. Abode
(718) 363-2970 1134 E New York Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11212
5.4 mi SE - Directions

Dominican Owned:

A. Dominican Hair Salon
(718) 291-4482 10812 Guy R Brewer Blvd
Jamaica, NY 11433
11 mi E - Directions

B. Dominican Hair Salon
(914) 761-6712 162 S Lexington Ave
White Plains, NY 10606
25 mi NE - Directions
References: skincareus.com

Lanni Hair Stylist
(201) 863-7290 416 38th St
Union City, NJ 07087
4.3 mi N - Directions

Hair Experience
(718) 756-3301 1183 President St
Brooklyn, NY 11225
4.3 mi SE - Directions

E. Roma Hair
(718) 469-4497 3717 Church Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11203
5.5 mi SE - Directions

F. Dominican Hair Fashion Beauty Salon
(973) 375-3005 11 Smith St
Irvington, NJ 07111
12 mi W - Directions

G. Dominican Style Hair Salon
(718) 454-4171 20407 Jamaica Ave
Hollis, NY 11423
13 mi E - Directions

H. Best Hair Salon
(914) 288-0225 180 Grand St
White Plains, NY 10601
25 mi NE - Directions
*PA local . 5'5" . natural hair . brown . comfortable . laying out . pink/light purple nail polish . silver jewelry . poetry . Virgo . confused . shy . lazy . fun . college student . reggae music . shopping . black eyeliner . mascara . lip gloss . friends . family . photos . NoOdLes . sleeping . eating . traveling . beach . summer . school . No summer school . massages . concerts . ice cream . hot tubs . bon fires at the beach*
EianoView Public ProfileSend a private message to EianoFind all posts by EianoAdd Eiano to Your Buddy List
post_old.gif
06-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Alli77
user_online.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_995973", true);

Time spent in forums: 5 Days 22 Hours 49 Minutes 27 Seconds
Average time: 39 Seconds

icon1.gif
Re: Moving to NYC
Thank you so much! I will be 'interviewing' them all!;)

Hey Alli,

Girl your hair is looking good!! It is growing well. I am looking for a stylist more accessible to me since I live in LI and I wanted a personal recommendation from someone. I know ...you're talking about Marvin Carrington, his website is www.macstyle.net ...you should visit the website. He's located in Manhattan and his price list is posted at texturizers being $90 and up, and trims are $30 and up which is still a WHOLE lot better than Curve prices. Where in NYC are you moving to?? Maybe when you get settled in, we can go to a consult together :D . I will also call Derrick Scurry, and I've been thinking about Ouidad or Devachan but I want to see if anyone on here has had any experience with any of these salons.

Back