(Real) Garlic on Hair

toinette

Tricking the president
Anyone ever tried this for shedding hair and temples? It certainly would be cheaper than buying a bunch of galic oils, shampoos and conditioners when I could just use a clove for a few pennies. But as I certainly dont want to walk around smelling like garlic I was thinking of using it just 2 times a week right before my wash and co-wash days as a pre-treatment for a few hours and then washing it out. What do you guys think? am I crazy? :lol:

I used it before (real garlic) and did smell garlic every time I turned my head for a long time...I want to say for about 2 weeks or so after I used it. It stopped the shedding, but the scent was just too much for me.

I use natural garlic tablets now, and they work very well...in fact they work better internally (IMHO) than garlic did topically.

That being said, garlic is a tried and true remedy for shedding. A lot of people here use it in a clutch for their shedding issues. I hope you find what helps!

cj

I do :grin:!! I add around .5mL garlic oil to my deep conditioner as needed for shedding. For instance, yesterday I noticed some uncomfortable shedding (like a whole 12 strands--I've got to get over that!), so I added the oil to my DC with some bhringaraj oil, and my hair was great!

The scent it utterly atrocious, but I don't have melodies problem. I wonder why. I do tend to use conditioners with a heavier scent, like any of the Aubrey Organics. Yesterday I used Yes to Carrots, which is light, and both the garlic oil and the bhringaraj smell bad, so there was no hope :lol:. It smelled bad, but I finished with an acv rinse and that took care of the smell.

I've never tried the garlic conditioners, but when I look at the ingredients the garlic is always low on the list, so I haven't wanted to spend the money on them. I am admittedly afraid of the blood thinning aspects of garlic taken internally so I haven't done that either. Adding the oil to the conditioners has really helped though :yep:. Good luck!

I put garlic in a blender with EVOO and honey and it worked liked a miracle. I usually have hair all over the shower walls and every crack and crevice on my body. The garlic stopped it. However I smelled garlic in my hair for the next three washes.

I purchased the mince garlic and put the juice from it in a plastic spray bottle. I use this with my alter ego when my shedding starts to act up..After, I use a regular conditioner to mask the smell. I wear a wig everyday, so I just braid my hair up and go. I havent noticed a smell from the garlic afterwards.

I put garlic in a blender with EVOO and honey and it worked liked a miracle. I usually have hair all over the shower walls and every crack and crevice on my body. The garlic stopped it. However I smelled garlic in my hair for the next three washes.

ugh i was really hoping to hear that the smell would go away once I shampooed/CWed but so far that doesnt seem to be the case going off of your experiences :nono:

Oh dear no way...I dont think I am brave enough to walk around smelling like I am a dough away from a garlic bread...nope! But I take ordorless garlic gel tablets...

ugh i was really hoping to hear that the smell would go away once I shampooed/CWed but so far that doesnt seem to be the case going off of your experiences :nono:

Lol, garlic is some STRONG stuff girl! I think garlic oil is probably easier to mask. I've never had a problem with being able to cover it up. Even with the stinky mix I made yesterday, you still can't smell it. I had my boyfriend do a sniff test for me. Try that, and it lasts a long time.

I used a mixture of garlic powder and olive oil on my hair before. It reduced my shedding but I swear even after alternating between co-washing my hair and shampooing my hair everyday for a week to try to get rid of the odor--I could still smell it.:nono: Next time I'll just take the pills.

I use garic extract and my hair is doing ok. I also use rosemary e o. for regrowing hair. I do not shed as much as I did before now that I think about it. I guess the garlic is working! It does stink something feirce though.

I just ordered the garlic oil extract, and I only plan to put like 3 drops in my conditioner because garlic is usually really low in the ingredients list of most conditioners. I'll start small and work my way up if needed depending on smell / shedding.

I'm not shedding now but I usually get a shed going in the fall so I'm getting ready in advance!

I'm using garlic tablets for internal health, but as i saw garlic shampoos and garlic creams for hair, i started goggling about what can garlic do to my hair as well. I know not a lot of people like the garlic odor, i don0t say i love it, but i really like to eat it in some food.

Anyway, in my research i found this.

Yet another cooking item finds it's way to your hair. After Lisa asked me about treatment for hair loss/thinning I went to work on it immediately and I found out using this famous Garlic Recipe you can reduce thinning of hair. It might not smell as good as the Rosemary or honey, but I guess it helps a lot and that's what matters.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon of aloe gel
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon of garlic juice
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons of chamomile (tea bag content is fine to use)
24 fluid oz of water

Instructions:

1) Peel garlic and use a garlic press to squeeze the juice out
2) Mix it with honey and place the bowl in the fridge
3) Boil water with chamomile tea for about 30 minutes
4) Stir occasionally
5) When tea is done, take the bowl with honey and garlic juice out of the fridge
6) Stir in an egg yolk into the garlic juice/honey mix
7) Add Aloe Vera gel to the mix.
8) Use the mix and gently rub it in your scalp. When you run out of the paste, wrap a towel around your head.
9) Keep on your head for 20 minutes and wash once with a neutral shampoo (I used Johnson's Baby shampoo). Rub in the second egg yolk and wash off using only warm water.
10) To finish off, wash your hair off with the previously prepared chamomile tea.

It seems garlic prevents hairloss by killing parasites and bacteria on your scalp that may be causing the hair loss and also by nourishing your hair follicles.

You might a
http://mydreadlocks.blogspot.com/2009/06/garlic-to-thicken-hair.html

Yup I tried it...I crushed 7 garlic cloves (why seven? idk), then blended it then mixed it in castor oil then heated it in the microwave for 1 minute. I applied it then left it on all night. Argghh idk WHAT i did but it made it worse. So I went out and bought Queen Helen's Garlic Shampoo, I'm gonna try tomorrow, this shedding is killing me.

Yes I used real garlic when I had a balding spot on my temples. Got crushed frozen garlic at Trader Joes - it comes in cubes. I used all the cubes, mixed with olive oil and a little honey as a DT. It was a good treatment. I followed with a clay hair mask and that got the smell out.

I have been using this as a pre poo. I use two small cloves. I smell it when it's in my hair but when I shampoo it out I don't smell anything at all. I use doctor bronners peppermint and lavender castille soaps as shampoo. I think it really strengthens my hair. I noticed a difference when I stopped using it. I thought It was just doing to much, but it really helped. It helped with the excessive flaking as well. I hadn't used it for a month and noticed I got a lot more shedding and breakage. So I'm keeping it in my reggie from now on.

Here's my recipe.
honey
2 cloves garlic
Flaxseed oil
Cranberry oil
Neem oil
Borage oil
Wheat germ oil
Rosehip oil
Carrot oil
Comfrey olive oil
Aloe vera
Castor oil
Coconut oil
jojoba

I also add a little water infused with nettle, horsetail green tea extracts.
(I'm always experimenting in the lab. I have a bunch of oils lol)

I infuse oil with several cloves of garlic. Leave in the refrigde.....Then use as a pre poo/hot oil treatment.

Awesome stuff. And Cheap. I never buy expensive stuff - that I can replace for the real thang....

i always do this. the smell is hard to get out. so i washed my hair about 2x with my regular shampoo...the third time I used a lil baking soda mixed in with my shampoo. Then deep conditioned with my aveda dry therapy which was the only thing that took out the smell. You can also try to use essential oils like jasmine, strong herbals and citrus. I have even tried letting some tomtato paste in my hair...which is also a lil moisturizing.

Back