Ever mixed garlic powder to your conditioner?

Adding Garlic Powder to conditioner...yay or nay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh darn. Well I will just mix it up and put it on top of what I already have going on. I hate pre pooing with product in my hair. Oh well. Anyways by co wash you mean because after you rise out the mix then you co wash? Or do you mean people are washing their hair and using this as a cowash?

I'm trying this now.

ETA: I've always had loads of shedding. I hope the garlic treatment will reduce the excessive shedding.

I kept my hair in cornrows for 13.5 weeks (I usually take them out after four weeks but kept them in longer this time because I was frustrated with my hair and didn't want to risk relax it). This is how much shedding I had:

Shedding_1109-vi.jpg

(The white stuff is conditioner.)

Don't you think it's a bit too much?

Last edited:
^wow I would pass out if I ever saw that much shed hair come out in my comb, but since u haven't detangled for about three months so maybe its normal? Idk

^wow I would pass out if I ever saw that much shed hair come out in my comb, but since u haven't detangled for about three months so maybe its normal? Idk

I've gotten used to seeing a lot of shedded hair, so I was sad but not shocked.

Last edited:
I did the garlic treatment. This is what I did:

1. I mixed 1 tsp garlic granules, approximately 4 oz. Trader Nourish Spa conditioner, and a little water in an applicator bottle.
  2. I applied the mixture only to my scalp and then massaged it in (I used only 2 oz., so I'll store the rest in the fridge).
  3. I left the mixture in my hair for about 50 minutes because I got distracted (I had planned on leaving it in for 20 minutes).
  4. I rinsed out the mixture, washed my hair with diluted Ion clarifying shampoo, did an aphogee protein treatment, and deep conditioned my hair.

The shampoo removed the garlic smell completely. The smell was very potent. I plan on doing this before each Aphogee treatment (once every 8-12 weeks). Based on the reviews I've seen in this and other threads, my shedding will decrease. I'm looking forward to that.

Okay, I have read this entire and I am definately going to have to try this. I have been seeing lots of long hairs with bulbs on wash days lately. I hope it works for me too.

I have mixed garlic powder with my conditioner and it worked like a dream. It stop breakage died in its tracks. Just try it and your shedding has just been checked.

I swear I thought I was a fool for doing this! I bought garlic powder specificly to DC with but still haven't done it. My PJ-ism told me to take the cheap way out till I can afford to buy the Alter Ego Garlic treatment. You just gave me more motivation to try it.

I swear I thought I was a fool for doing this! I bought garlic powder specificly to DC with but still haven't done it. My PJ-ism told me to take the cheap way out till I can afford to buy the Alter Ego Garlic treatment. You just gave me more motivation to try it.

Hey EbbonyTx...did you ever try this and if so, how did it work...also, how is the transitioning going?

@Lucie

I've always kept a bottle of garlic extract oil in the bathroom JIC. I haven't used it in a long while, but whenever I thought I had excessive shedding one week, or during the week, I would just start applying drops to my scalp daily. On wash day, apply a bit more and when I would wash, there would be way less shedding.

This was back when I was relaxed; I haven't used the oil yet as a natural. When I was relaxed, I had to subject my hair to some kind of daily manipulation, so I saw the differences in shedding immediately. The garlic oil worked quickly.

I've also used Alter.Ego garlic conditioner with great success in the past.

I don't have much shedding issues these days, they are mostly Jedi mind tricks, but the two I mentioned worked great.

@Lucie

I've always kept a bottle of garlic extract oil in the bathroom JIC. I haven't used it in a long while, but whenever I thought I had excessive shedding one week, or during the week, I would just start applying drops to my scalp daily. On wash day, apply a bit more and when I would wash, there would be way less shedding.

This was back when I was relaxed; I haven't used the oil yet as a natural. When I was relaxed, I had to subject my hair to some kind of daily manipulation, so I saw the differences in shedding immediately. The garlic oil worked quickly.

I've also used Alter.Ego garlic conditioner with great success in the past.

I don't have much shedding issues these days, they are mostly Jedi mind tricks, but the two I mentioned worked great.

I have the garlic extract as well and have been using drops of it in my scalp oil mixture with castor oil, MSM, MN and onion oil for shedding and growth the night before wash/cowash day.

I have the garlic essential oil, worked but it takes forever to remove the smell from my hair.
I bought a Dominican garlic shampoo, worked but it was drying.
I discovered kyolic aged garlic extract recently and bought it. It's a brown liquid, I add drops to my deep conditioner. The smell doesn't last on my hair and I did notice a difference in shedding the one time that I used it. My hair has been in cornrows for a while so I haven't had the chance to test it consistently.

Okay you ladies have me thinking about making my own infused organic garlic oil using evoo. I'll probably have to infuse it for 2-3 weeks for a strong brew.

I'll use it on my scalp as a prepoo and maybe add a little to my shampoo whenever I shampoo my hair.

I don't care to have the smell of garlic in my hair once I'm done deep conditioning.

Back