Ready to head to the GYM!!! For Steaming - HELP LADIES!

Lucky's Mom

Hey Ladies!!!

I hope that someone here will be able to answer my questions.
I would love to step my game up in terms of moisture and health to my hair....

I am thinking about going to the gym - and doing my hair!!!! :lachen:Just for the steam......
So anyhoows - I did some research -saw these 2 posts

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=188953&page=3

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=128688

Can anyone tell me ( Vets, Steam Vets, Newbies!!!)- if:

1. They still do this.....What were your results????? - any more photos?? ( Momi's Photos - WOW!!!)

2. is this a Prepoo or a Postpoo thing??? In other words, should I do this after shampooing, then DC - and head for the steam room??? ( seriously, y'all - I am really thinking about doing this AT LA Fitness on Friday morning)

3. Do I need a pricey steamer to do this - or will the Towel treatment really work???? Chuck ( that is hubby ) :bat: would surely kill me if I bought another giant machine like my Pibbs
:detective:4. should I look into some other way besides the Sauna???

Hugs to all the ladies - I love this PLACE!! I see GREAT lengths in my future!!!!:kiss::bighug:

sj

:bump:

I've never used a gym sauna to steam my hair, but I'm certainly interested in hearing from someone who has.

You may want to pm Suerte. She uses her fabric steamer. I plan to buy one this week. I think I'll co-wash, rinse, steam for maybe 15min., add a DC and then steam for 20min. Whatcha think?

Oh no hon, no tears!!!:blush: We're gonna figure this thing out:yep:. Suerte has inspired me. I was going to buy a hair steamer and the facial steamer from ebay a few months ago but I really don't have the space right now. I already have two salon chairs, salon hooded dryer with chair and shampoo chair stashed away(ah, ebay). I think my husband would put me out if I brought more hair stuff in here:nono:.
Until you get your steamer try a couple of damp towels in your dryer until nice and steamy and wrap your DC'ed hair with it. You may like that better because you can do other stuff will steaming your hair:yep:.

Hey girlie
Im just seeing this post. I go to the gym at least once a week (barr the last two weeks due to being so busy) and slap on some conditiner to my dry post workout hair and put it up...I was using metal clips till I realised that being in the sauna was heating the clips up and I was getting some breakage!
so I use a claw now and just put it up and allow the steam to penetrate my hair. My hair loves it and its my chill out time.
I know a lady came to our gym and asked if she could just use the sauna/steam rooms and use henna in it without using the gym...I'm like helloooo is she from here???
lol
I dont henna but somebody is obviously on a mission to look after their hair...go girl!
sorry OT.

I have also done steam at home...like you would for a facial but for my hair instead. It works just as well but obviously you cant be there for an hour cuz the water gets cold.

The warm towel thing never works for me...maybe due to the thickness of my hair I dont feel it penetrates enough but I know lots of ladies on here have used it and works for them

Good luck chica.

Uzz

I did this for 3 years straight. I was transitioning, and at the same time I was a member of NYHRC. I would work out 4-5 days a week, and at the end of my workout I would take a quick wash off, rinse my hair and leave the conditioner on my hair, pin it up and sit in the steam room for 20-30 min. Afterwards I would take a shower and co wash my hair. Pin it up and go. I miss the gym for the steam room alone:yep:

Hey girlie
Im just seeing this post. I go to the gym at least once a week (barr the last two weeks due to being so busy) and slap on some conditiner to my dry post workout hair and put it up...I was using metal clips till I realised that being in the sauna was heating the clips up and I was getting some breakage!
so I use a claw now and just put it up and allow the steam to penetrate my hair. My hair loves it and its my chill out time.
I know a lady came to our gym and asked if she could just use the sauna/steam rooms and use henna in it without using the gym...I'm like helloooo is she from here???
lol
I dont henna but somebody is obviously on a mission to look after their hair...go girl!
sorry OT.

I have also done steam at home...like you would for a facial but for my hair instead. It works just as well but obviously you cant be there for an hour cuz the water gets cold.

The warm towel thing never works for me...maybe due to the thickness of my hair I dont feel it penetrates enough but I know lots of ladies on here have used it and works for them

Good luck chica.

Uzz

Thanks mama!!!! I am workin' my schedule - for tomorrow morning.... After I drop off hubby at work - it will be TIME!!!!!!!!:drunk:

I did this for 3 years straight. I was transitioning, and at the same time I was a member of NYHRC. I would work out 4-5 days a week, and at the end of my workout I would take a quick wash off, rinse my hair and leave the conditioner on my hair, pin it up and sit in the steam room for 20-30 min. Afterwards I would take a shower and co wash my hair. Pin it up and go. I miss the gym for the steam room alone:yep:

Thanks for this!!!! So - did you see a huge change in the health of your hair???:yep:

thanks for sharing this imstush! I have yet to use the steam room at the gym but I seriously need to b/c my hair would thrive from it.

Well I steam my hair but it was never my intention. I usually rinse my hair, put conditioner in, then wrap a damp towel around my head while I'm in the sauna. I started this because the sauna would dry my hair out.

I'm gonna give this a try tommorow when I go to the gym. It's funny how more and more things in my life are starting to revolve around me doing something for my hair...my hubby thinks that I am nuts :lol:

Thanks for this!!!! So - did you see a huge change in the health of your hair???:yep:

In all honesty I did. But at the same time I can't attribute it only to the steam room. My daily practice...I wasn't a pj...I only used pantene and or mane and tail shampoo and conditioner. I was working out 4/5 times a week. I was drinking water with lemon daily (which I also hear now is good for hair growth - I just prefer the taste), no junk food and lots of veggies and fish. My hair was very thick, and I felt like my hair was going at a decent rate. Unfortunately I don't see the same qualities now only because I don't work out consistently, I don't have access to a steam room, and I switched jobs so funny how that affected my diet also.

But good luck to you! I plan to get back on board (I may just purcase one of those steamers for home).

I love using the steam room at my gym!

I usually apply my deep conditioner, work out while under a scraf or wig and then retreat into the steam room for 10-20 minutes.

Then I shower and con wash.

I need to do this more often, because it feels so relaxing! :drunk:

Well - I just played witht he steamer I have here at home - UM - I dunno how to get the steam going toward my head..... I would have to hold it and move it around - I gotta figure something out.....

At the gym tomale!!!!!

I will post all results!
:lick:

Hey girl you welcome...When im done in the sauna/steam (usualy a minimum of 1 hour) I rinse off and bun up after warpping in a microfibre turbie towel thingy.
My hair is wonderfully soft and easy to manage after!

Take care

uzz

Hey girl you welcome...When im done in the sauna/steam (usualy a minimum of 1 hour) I rinse off and bun up after warpping in a microfibre turbie towel thingy.
My hair is wonderfully soft and easy to manage after!

Take care

uzz

OHH - I can't wait.

Love your avitar BTW

:drunk:OK girls!
I thought I was gonna DIE in the steam room yall!!!
had never ever done that before.

WHEW - I could only stand it 10 minutes!

Anyhow- I loved how wobbly I felt. A total relaxing and scary experience. Call me wacky:spinning:

I will do it again with DC'ing in braids.
Thanks ya'lll................

Back