Raw egg as a protein treatment?

addaboutmyhair

So I'm out of Mega Tek and no way to get more anytime soon (traveling overseas). I would like to give my hair a light protein treatment. Will raw egg work? Has anyone done this? Should I mix it with anything?

Also, would soy sauce work? I've heard rumors. Suggestions appreciated!

I use raw egg for my protein treatments. I mix it with Emergencia conditioner and a lil EVOO and EVCO. It leaves my hair strong but moisturized. I do it before I shampoo.

I've mixed raw egg to my conditioners to boost them, worked great soft bouncy hair. If you're protein sensitive use a moisturising conditioner with it

Great, thanks! I'll try mixing it with some conditioner and EVO. Is leaving it on under a cap for 15 minutes long enough? I was thinking 1 part eggs, 1 part conditioner. I think my hair needs a protein treatment before I put it back in braids.

I've done this before - the egg just by itself made my feel hard & stiff, I had to follow it with a moisturizing dc. Adding the egg to a moisturizing dc yields nice results. In fact, I keep forgetting to add egg to my dc's.

i add eggs to my deep conditioner sometimes, and i add it to my avocado mask too. just be sure to mix well.

if i remember correctly, using only the whites add more protein to your mix, and the yokes will be more moisturizing due to the natural cholesterol. So if you want moisture but not too much protein, or vise versa, omit one or the other... or use both for a nice balance.

but just eggs in hair by themselves, for me (twice, early in my journey) were a hassle as the whites partially 'cooked' when i was in my warm/hot shower or when i had it under a plastic cap under a dryer. All of the egg didn't convert, but some of the clear egg whites turned white and were beading throughout my head... was difficult and tedious to wash out and took several washes to get all the little egg pieces out... so if you use it straight, i suggest not using heat, and using warm or cool water to rinse it out and be mindful of the steam in the shower/bathroom.

Last edited:
I use a plastic cap and leave it in for 30 minutes. No heat please! But you may want to put a headband on because that stuff starts to run all down your back nice and sticky :ohwell:

Back