Rave Review: DIY Flax Seed Gel

prettypithy

I just tried Naptural85's flax seed gel recipe this weekend. It was fast and easy to make. Just buy flax seeds, boil them in water and strain the gel into a container. Once it cools, it forms a liquid gel that:

**softens**
**shines**
**holds**
**seals in moisture**

BUT DOES NOT:

**flake**
**dry out**
**make the hair sticky**

I've never been a big believer that the PH balance in products makes a big difference but this has changed my mind. This stuff eats frizz for breakfast and flyaways for lunch. :lol:

Thanks for the review. I've been planning to try this recipe. Already have the flax seeds and strainer, just never took the time to make it. I will definitely be making it this weekend.:yep:

Sounds awesome! I'm willing to try it :) How much did you make & how long does the batch last? Do you need to store it in the refrigerator?

I was just watching that tutorial the other day! I know it'll work well but I'm not a fan of the short shelf life:ohwell:

I'm the type that would like to make a huge batch, forget about it and just have it to use all year:lol:

Ive been meaning to try this for like forever, but as already raised by previous posters, Im not into making a batch every month or dealing with cold product on my scalp

If you go to publix about a alb of flax seeds are less than 2 dollars. I refrigerate once I make my batch and it really does take less than 10 minutes to whip up.

Sounds awesome! I'm willing to try it :) How much did you make & how long does the batch last? Do you need to store it in the refrigerator?

SmileyNY I ttook me about 20 minutes to make it (only 5 of which was active, the rest of was waiting for it to boil) and I hear it lasts about a month in the refrigerator. It made a LOT of product (.5 cup to a cup), more than I could use in a month, since I will probably only style 4-8 times in a given month (since I mostly PS).

I've been dragging my feet on making this as well! But so motivated after hearing the review from OP! Hopefully I'll report back this week!

And can't you reuse those same flax seeds to make the next batch?
Saves $$. Gel can be quite expensive.

@SmileyNY I ttook me about 20 minutes to make it (only 5 of which was active, the rest of was waiting for it to boil) and I hear it lasts about a month in the refrigerator. It made a LOT of product (.5 cup to a cup), more than I could use in a month, since I will probably only style 4-8 times in a given month (since I mostly PS).

I love FSG! I found a modified recipe for it that gives your hair a little hold. I make a batch weekly and keep it in a pump bottle in the fridge.

Is it just me or does this stuff add a smoothing effect to the ends of the hair? I feel like I have less SSKs when I use it, even when I do my wash and go.

I like the FSG too for definition but I often found that it was drying (maybe I used too much). I add oils to my final mixture and refrigerate. I haven't made any in a while cuz now I'm stuck on mousse for my defined twist outs (love it). It really is easy to make and it really is very inexpensive.

Is it just me or does this stuff add a smoothing effect to the ends of the hair? I feel like I have less SSKs when I use it, even when I do my wash and go.

Arian TOTALLY. I'm due for a trim so I have some frizzies at the ends and the second this stuff is applied, the ends become smooth. It is a miracle worker!

I love it!

Little trick: freeze the basic gel in cubes every 2-3 months, and defrost/add your oils when needed.

Lazy version (much more liquid): leave the seeds in a container with water in the fridge for a couple of days and then strain.

I love it!

Little trick: freeze the basic gel in cubes every 2-3 months, and defrost/add your oils when needed.

This really worked for me. I don't know where I read this tip but it is perfect because I like making big batches and hate waste. As someone stated, I don't like cold product on my hair so I just let the gel cube warm to room temp before using it.

I never really used gel until I started transitioning. Used Ecostyler once and the tub is still sitting under my sink. The gel works so well for my hair. I have yet to use a whole bag of flax seeds and I hav been using the gel for about a year!

Quick question: When layering with a moisturizer or leave in, should the gel go on last? I have been doing this, but wondering if I should switch it around.

Bonkers!! I was thinking the same thing!!!:lachen:luv this stuff, I use it on my girls heads too..

greenandchic, whats the modified recipe? I think I'll give it a whirl now that I saw that great tip about freezing cubes of it from Curlykale I'm the type that needs to make it once and be done with it lol

I got it from NC.com: Firm Home Flax Seed Gel

For mine I used less flax seeds (3 tbsp to 8 oz of water) and instead of shea butter I used my avocado butter since my hair hates shea. I also used CJ Curls in a Bottle in place of AVG. It still gives me a good amount of hold.

[USER=4689 said:
coolhandlulu[/USER];15145833]does anyone know if germall plus is a good preservative for this gel?

I love using this preservative because it is so functional

fromnaturewithlove
Liquid Germall Plus is a broad spectrum, water soluble preservative for oil-in-water and water-in-oil emulsions and water soluble formulations. It is highly effective against gram positive and gram negative bacteria, yeasts, molds and commonly found organisms. It is compatible with most cosmetic ingredients and has no known inactivators. Liquid Germall Plus is effective at low concentrations of 0.1 - 0.5% (the higher % should be used in conjunction with high protein and complex formulations). It remains active through a pH range of 3-8. It should be added during the water phase or to the emulsified portion of the formulation at a temperpature of 120F or less. Liquid Germall Plus has a safe toxicology profile and has been evaluated as safe for both rinse-off and leave-on formulations. It is a good choice preservative for shampoos, conditioners, lotions, creams, body washes, body sprays and other such formulas.

Recommended usage levels are meant only as a guide for proper preservation of your product. All new formulations should be challenge tested to ensure that your preservative is working properly.

INCI: Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate
Shelf Life: Stable

I got it from NC.com: Firm Home Flax Seed Gel

For mine I used less flax seeds (3 tbsp to 8 oz of water) and instead of shea butter I used my avocado butter since my hair hates shea. I also used CJ Curls in a Bottle in place of AVG. It still gives me a good amount of hold.

After making Naptural85's version I found it to be waaaay to runny for my hair, so I experimented and did this exact ration 1/4 : 1 and it worked much better for me. Now seeing this NC recipe for other add ins I think I'll try that next time.

Right now, I'm rocking a fly set of mini twits all courtesy of my homemade flaxseed gel. I'm really intrested to see if I can use it for curl defining in the summer.

Oh yes I love this gel. I just made this on Wednesday for the first time and I absolutely love it!! Its so moisturizing and I love that my hair is not crunchy.

It totally does! I've made two batches of this in the past year. After using it on my hair, the ends (which till then had been begging for a cut and not curling) started to curl! That's how I realised that the bang section of my hair was all natural! lol! :yep:

This stuff really smooths and gives a bit of hold. I used it for doing twists and liked it. I may make a batch and do the frozen cubes thing. I don't currently have an ice-tray but I have a rose shaped muffin tray...silicone so it will do! :lol:

Back