Rant-comments from a stylist

locabouthair

So I'm transitioning. I meet a woman today and she asks if I'm growing out my perm so I say yeah. And she says oh I was wondering why it looks so thirsty. So I'm like whatever. Then she's like oh "I'm a hairdresser thats why I asked. You need a moisture retainer".

Now if you're a hairdresser you should know that 4b hair like mine doesn't shine easily. The light doesn't reflect off it as it would someone with a looser texture. Even when I was relaxed my hair was kinda dull but now that I have a lot of ng it wont shine for anything. I put coconut oil, some jam, and some moisture cream and it barely has any sheen.

Yeah maybe i'm in a pissy mood or am just tired of negative comments about my hair. And no I wasn't rude to her in any way.

And if you're wondering what her hair looked like. It was in cownrows, no fake hair added. It didn't look bad, but for a stylist I would expect it to look better.

ok end rant. I dont even know why I'm mad. I was natural before and I should know this is just the beginning.

Ok end rant.

If you were a stylist would you approach someone and make comments about their hair?

i have approached people in the skincare aisles and give them product/ skin care advice. i also give them my business card and tell them about the services i provide. but i don't make negative comments about their skin. i think that is very insulting.

If you were a stylist would you approach someone and make comments about their hair?[/QUOTE]

I would only offer help if the person asked or say we were in the haircare aisle and they looked like then needed a suggestion. The stylist was out of line with the "your hair looks thirsty" comment. I would have told her to mind her own business.

Yeahh...I'd be a little like "get up out my hair, stranger," but I'm sure she thought she was being helpful. Well-meaning, unwelcome unsolicited advice. Nothing like itl.

I'm sorry she was so rude to you. I think the thirsty comment was inappropriate, especially if she is trying to solicit new customers. Some people just don't know what to say....

Do you hand you card after they appear to be receptive or it does not matter? The reason I asked is because a couple weeks ago i was in SAMS with a freshly done perm and this lady stroked up a conversation about juice prices all to give me her business card (braiding). Maybe i was in a piss mood but I'm thinking WTF my hair looks bad or something? To think about it, its happen to couple other times. The message they are sending is you don't think my hair looks nice and to me that's insulting.
i have approached people in the skincare aisles and give them product/ skin care advice. i also give them my business card and tell them about the services i provide. but i don't make negative comments about their skin. i think that is very insulting.

Professionals that offer unsolicited advice and product recommendations along with their business cards/information are quickly dismissed because I interpret their behavior as a form of condescension (e.g., let me school this chick with the jacked up skin/busted hair).

Veiled insults should never be a part of any entrepreneur’s marketing plan. IMO, it’s not what you do, but how you do it; and is the difference between this:

“Hi. I’m sorry to bother you, do you have a moment? I noticed that you were browsing in the hair care aisle and I wondered if you would be interested in sampling one of my hair care products...”

And this:

“Excuse me. I was wondering when was the last time you had your hair professionally done because your ends look thin and dry. I’m a hair stylist and I could...”

Maybe if she was trying to drum up some clientele, lol. It works unfortunately. As a former employee at Sallys, I saw this allll the time.:ohwell: The so called stylist would come in, spot a woman looking for something for her hair and make comments about how dry/broken off/ raggedy/ limp it looked. Then they would suggest a completely different product or regime and say, "But you wouldn't have to go through all of that because I do hair.:grin: I will have your hair growing/shiny/long/bouncy by next Tuesday!"

It would annoy me to no end, because I would go through the hard work of convincing women that they could handle their own hair and nurse it back to health with super simple and affordable techniques, and here comes the wolves with dollar signs in their eyes. I swear one stylist laid back in the cut, heard me suggesting to a newly natural some tips, and then told her the products I picked out were:nono:.

She actually said, "Girl, mmph. That isn't for YOUR hair type, hunny. Look, call me please so i can help that hair." All loud in fornt of other customers so everybody was looking at the poor ladys hair like:perplexed and of course, because she had just been embarrased on the sly, she would do whatever the holy stylist had suggested. Like another poster said earlier, it is insulting.

Last edited:
If you were a stylist would you approach someone and make comments about their hair?[/QUOTE]

I would only offer help if the person asked or say we were in the haircare aisle and they looked like then needed a suggestion. The stylist was out of line with the "your hair looks thirsty" comment. I would have told her to mind her own business.

I couldn't even do that because I was interviewing her so I had to remain professional even though I didnt like her comment.

Professionals that offer unsolicited advice and product recommendations along with their business cards/information are quickly dismissed because I interpret their behavior as a form of condescension (e.g., let me school this chick with the jacked up skin/busted hair).

Veiled insults should never be a part of any entrepreneur’s marketing plan. IMO, it’s not what you do, but how you do it; and is the difference between this:

“Hi. I’m sorry to bother you, do you have a moment? I noticed that you were browsing in the hair care aisle and I wondered if you would be interested in sampling one of my hair care products...”

And this:

“Excuse me. I was wondering when was the last time you had your hair professionally done because your ends look thin and dry. I’m a hair stylist and I could...”

Exactly! Some people have no tact!

Maybe if she was trying to drum up some clientele, lol. It works unfortunately. As a former employee at Sallys, I saw this allll the time.:ohwell: The so called stylist would come in, spot a woman looking for something for her hair and make comments about how dry/broken off/ raggedy/ limp it looked. Then they would suggest a completely different product or regime and say, "But you wouldn't have to go through all of that because I do hair.:grin: I will have your hair growing/shiny/long/bouncy by next Tuesday!"

It would annoy me to no end, because I would go through the hard work of convincing women that they could handle their own hair and nurse it back to health with super simple and affordable techniques, and here comes the wolves with dollar signs in their eyes. I swear one stylist laid back in the cut, heard me suggesting to a newly natural some tips, and then told her the products I picked out were:nono:.

She actually said, "Girl, mmph. That isn't for YOUR hair type, hunny. Look, call me please so i can help that hair." All loud in fornt of other customers so everybody was looking at the poor ladys hair like:perplexed and of course, because she had just been embarrased on the sly, she would do whatever the holy stylist had suggested. Like another poster said earlier, it is insulting.

That's so wrong. :nono:

nope, i'm not that persistent and hesitant to give out cards actually. i usually tell people where i work at and they ask questions about facials. that's when i give them a card. but it takes a lot to build a clientele. don't take it personal. i have a hard time just giving my cards out to people. i always feel like the timing has to be right to not offend someone. one time i saw a group of women having lunch. i got up the nerve to just walk over there and give them my card. i told them about having a spa party. they were very nice and two of them actually made an appointment with me the next day.

but don't feel like it's them thinking negatively about your hair. it's one thing to offer a card or service, it's another when you have a rude jackasre making comments.

Do you hand you card after they appear to be receptive or it does not matter? The reason I asked is because a couple weeks ago i was in SAMS with a freshly done perm and this lady stroked up a conversation about juice prices all to give me her business card (braiding). Maybe i was in a piss mood but I'm thinking WTF my hair looks bad or something? To think about it, its happen to couple other times. The message they are sending is you don't think my hair looks nice and to me that's insulting.

If you were a stylist would you approach someone and make comments about their hair?

I am working on my cosmetology license now... Even though I want to grow my clientele, I don't say a peep, unless someone asks me.

I have a woman at my job who obviously gets weaves; we were having a hair convo and I said I knew how to do really good weaves... and she seemed very uncomfortable. I wasn't trying to tell her that her hair looked bad or anything, but I can easily see how/why she was offended.

I apologized to her a few mins later.

What a way to turn off a potential client, smh.

They do teach you to be aggressive in beauty school (I've always hated approaching people so I ignored that part), but not to insult people. I notice now that when I'm in the hair isle people ask me questions here and there but I don't get pushy; I wait until the questions become too much and then I hand them a card and tell them to email me their questions.

This is how I feel too about stylists giving me their card. I was at a post office last yr...I will never forget it bc I just felt like she cussed me out...this hair stylist runs out the salon which was next door and hands me her card as I was getting in my car. True I wasn't having a fly hair day...but still...that just felt SO insulting. I couldve thrown her down a flight of stairs...and I WAS in a bad mood.

And she didn't say not a word! Just ran outside, handed me the card and ran back.

The nerve. :mad:

I've had a stylist approach me TWICE while at Costco, and believe me my hair was done and looking good. This stylist (the same both times!) with a really bad weave approached me and gave me her card. Dh said maybe she thought I have a weave...
Another time was while I was at my office being trained at the front counter (government job) I was helping this lady and her friend asked me where I was from, when I said Cuba, she said, oh that's why your hair looks so nice (Grrrrrrrr) and then gave me her card. I told her I already have a stylist but would give her card for a friend. In fact, I keep some of my stylist's cards (she's a friend) and give them to people if they ask about who does my hair (I do it myself most of the time but I go to her for relaxers)

Back