Random BKT question

disgtgyal

Okay, so I've read that when you have a BKT done you should stay away from products containing NaCl because it eats away at the protective layer, but joico k-pak deep reconstructor has NaCl as one of its ingredients (pretty high at that.) Since joico k-pak in known for containing high amounts of keratin wouldn't having NaCl as a component have an antagonist effect? Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

Sodium and sulfates life the cuticle of the hair stripping it of the keratin deposits. The protein in a reconstructor and that of bkt isn't the same thing. If you're doing bkt, avoid sulfates and sodium ingredients to make the treatment last longer. I've had two bkt's, one of which I did myself when I was transitioning.

Sodium chloride is used as a thickener. I suppose the Joico product wasn't formulated with the bkt process in mind. Baking keratin into hair strands is a bit different than just washing or conditioning hair with a product that contains keratin. It must be hard for people who do this process and live near tropical beaches. I wouldn't want a hairstyle where I couldn't get in the ocean.

Back