Rag Curls

ok grant it i didn't look at the youtube because im at work and its blocked but from the link, that ish does not look easy atall. i got confused trying to read it.

I didn't look at the youtube (at work) but the first little girl has great curls. The second looks great but the curls didn't go far enough up to the top of the head for me, but the momma explained why. I think it's pretty easy and I might try it out. I can't pincurl to save my life and this seems much easier. I just don't know what kind of material I'm going to use for my "rag". Maybe an old silk scarf cut up into strips because I'm not wasting my freezer bags.

This is a good thread! I love reading about alternative ways to style hair. :)

Rag curls are what many of our American black ancestors used. They work very well and are very easy to do. Back then, they probably used cotton but silk or satin fabric would be best. I don't know if I would use my freezer bags though. :look:

This looks like a great option....can't wait until my hair gets a bit longer...
you could probably get a yard or 2 of silk/satin fabric from a fabric store on the cheap and cut it up.
if anyone does this, can you please post pics?? pretty please! :yep:

I use to do this when I was little my mom would net let me use her rollers but I use a brown paper sack :blush: and my ponytail would look great and the curls lasted :grin:

ok grant it i didn't look at the youtube because im at work and its blocked but from the link, that ish does not look easy atall. i got confused trying to read it.

It's just like a roller. All you do is wrap your hair around the fabric starting around the ends, then up to the scalp. Then you just put it in a simple knot or bow.

I tried pincurls and THAT ish is not easy lol.

This is a good thread! I love reading about alternative ways to style hair. :)

Rag curls are what many of our American black ancestors used. They work very well and are very easy to do. Back then, they probably used cotton but silk or satin fabric would be best. I don't know if I would use my freezer bags though. :look:

I wouldn't use freezer bags either. Cost too much to be wasting them, but I thought the little girl's curls were very cute :yep:

It's just like a roller. All you do is wrap your hair around the fabric starting around the ends, then up to the scalp. Then you just put it in a simple knot or bow.

I wouldn't use freezer bags either. Cost too much to be wasting them, but I thought the little girl's curls were very cute :yep:
I agree, that little girl's hair turned out very well with the freezer bags. :yep:

lol ok well that simplified the hell outta it. Ive seen people do it with brown paper bag before.

My mom and granny too! didn't hurt to sleep and the curls lasted for days.:yep:

I use to do this when I was little my mom would net let me use her rollers but I use a brown paper sack :blush: and my ponytail would look great and the curls lasted :grin:

My mom used to use a brown paper bag as well so that I wouldn't have to sleep in hard rollers.

I remember doing this when I was young. I am sure I have used cloth and/or brown grocery bags. I might try it again now, using white grocery bags, not freezer bags.

I learned this from my mom. We used to use paper towels or toilet tissue. you can also use silk fabric (like buy it from the store and cut it up in small pcs.). they always turned out pretty. We did it on my natural hair.

I learned this from my mom. We used to use paper towels or toilet tissue. you can also use silk fabric (like buy it from the store and cut it up in small pcs.). they always turned out pretty. We did it on my natural hair.
And the toilet paper held up? That's pretty good! I was going to do this with strips of silk material I have but forget about it and just did the pin curls.:rolleyes:

Back