Quick Question...

Daina

So I was watching You Tube and several videos regarding silk pressing kept popping up and I watched a few but I didn't see much difference or any for that matter between silk press and a traditional flat iron. Can anyone fill me in on the difference? Is a silk press supposed to be better for natural hair?

Edited* Also has anyone tried the saran wrap technique on flat-ironed or roller set hair?

Thanks Hair Divas!

Last edited:
I figured they were the same thing. I wonder when flat iron jobs started being called silk presses. Is it the technique or products used because why is it called a silk press? I just don't get it.

I figured they were the same thing. I wonder when flat iron jobs started being called silk presses. Is it the technique or products used because why is it called a silk press? I just don't get it.

@KammyGirl, that's what I said - when did I miss the memo on the name change???

I tried the Saran Wrap method on flat ironed hair and I must have done it wrong. All I did was sweat it out under that Saran Wrap. All that work for nothing. Never again.

A silk press involves using a serum versus not using one. Your stylist will usually use chi serum or biosilk and it gives the hair a silkier appearance.

As far as the Saran Wrap technique I've never been a fan. My scalp sweats and just made my roots poofy all over again. I know it's not as popular anymore.

A silk press involves using a serum versus not using one. Your stylist will usually use chi serum or biosilk and it gives the hair a silkier appearance.

As far as the Saran Wrap technique I've never been a fan. My scalp sweats and just made my roots poofy all over again. I know it's not as popular anymore.
Ahh I see. I did notice that most of the videos I watched used either chi serum or something from design essentials. Is this along with heat protectant and a leave in or do they skip those?

Thanks @L.Brown1114 AND @MileHighDiva! I guess I've been silk pressing for the last 8 years then because I've always been able to get my natural hair super straight when flat ironing and always use heat protectant and a serum. Pureology has a great serum for blow drying and straightening that gives good results.

Ahh I see. I did notice that most of the videos I watched used either chi serum or something from design essentials. Is this along with heat protectant and a leave in or do they skip those?

The serum can be the heat protectant. Depending on your stylist she may use more than one heat protectant. Mine uses 2. One before the blow dry and a serum before the flat iron.
As for a leave in there should be nothing in your hair besides the heat protectants. The silky "swang" will get weighed down by product

Back