Quick Poll: Which Leave In Would You Buy & Why?

Which leave-in would you choose/works better for you?

• Africa's Best Organincs Mayo Leave In Conditioner

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Africa's Best Kids Organics Hair Lotion, Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

spellinto

1-africas-best-kids-organics-shea-butter-detangling-moisturizing-hair-lotion-12-130213063655.jpg

OR

31u03zn374L.jpg

Please post why you prefer one over the other, and include the benefits one (or both) brought to your hair!! Thank you :)

Neither. Who is the leave in for?

Foxglove: The leave in is for me. I have relaxed 4b/c hair that really likes products with a slippery consistency (they tend to detangle my strands amazingly!). I have used the hair mayo in the past but cannot for the life of me remember why I stopped using it...I can only remember good things! However, the Kids leave-in has a good reputation as well...so I'm not sure whether I should return to the mayo or try the kids version.

Can you elaborate as to why you wouldn't recommend either of them?

The ingredients are a mighty tall order on both...

Africa's Best Kids' Organics Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion
Aqua (Water) , Propylene Glycol , PEG-150 Distearate , Cetyl Alcohol , Glycerin , Polyquaternium 37 , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate , Dicaprate , PPG 1 Trideceth 6 , Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil , DMDM Hydantoin , Cyclopentasiloxane , Cyclohexasiloxane , Phenyl Trimethicone , Lanolin Oil , Glyceryl Stearate , PEG-100 STEARATE , Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride , Acrylamide Copolymer , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Stearalkonium Chloride , Fragrance , Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil , Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive) , Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter , Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot) , Butyrospermum Parkii Fruit (Shea Butter) , CI 19140 (Yellow 5) , CI 16035 (Red 40) , CI 42090 (Blue 1) , Hydrolyzed Glycine Soja Protein (Soybean) , Mustela (Mink Oil) , Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba) , Tocopherol , Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil , Ovum (Egg Powder) , Lactis Proteinum (Milk Protein) , Mel (Honey) , Silk Amino Acids , Cholesterol , Zea Mays (Corn) Oil , BHT , BHA , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed OiI , Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract , Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle) , Equisetum Hiernale Extract (Horsetail)
Africa's Best Organics Leave-In Liquid Hair Mayonnaise (2009 formulation)
Water - Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Soybean Oil - Glycine Soja, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Fragrance - Parfum, Lanolin Oil, Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride/Acrylamide Copo, Stearalkonium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Corn Oil - Zea Mays, BHT, BHA, Carrot Seed Oil - Daucus Carota Sativa, Cocoa Seed Butter - Theobroma Cacao, Yellow No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1, PEG-50 Shea Butter, Olive Fruit Oil - Olea Europaea, Mink Oil - Mustela, Jojoba Seed Oil - Simmondisia Chinensis, Tocopherol, Tea Tree Leaf Oil - Melaleuca Alternifolia, Egg Powder - Ovum, Milk Protein - Lactis Proteinum, Honey - Mel, Silk Amino Acids, Cholesterol

I'd go for something that contains the good stuff (butters, oils and extracts) closer to the top of the list.

The ingredients are a mighty tall order on both...

Africa's Best Kids' Organics Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion

Africa's Best Organics Leave-In Liquid Hair Mayonnaise (2009 formulation)

I'd go for something that contains the good stuff (butters, oils and extracts) closer to the top of the list.

Amarilles, Foxglove: Wow Amarilles, thanks for taking the time to post the ingredients for each! And thank you Foxglove for the link...

To be honest, I'm not really concerned with how many ingredients are in the product :look:. I'm not looking to go more "organic" or anything. As long as a leave-in doesn't contain too much mineral oil or protein (my hair hates too much of either ingredient!) then I'm willing to try it. I appreciate the suggestions, but I just want to know how these two products fare on everyone's hair and which one they would suggest over the other.

Last edited:
Well, considering the fact that Africa's Best Kids' Organics Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion contains more cones, lanolin and formaldehyde than actual oils and butters, I'd go with Africa's Best Organics Leave-In Liquid Hair Mayonnaise... even though I avoid parabens like the plague.

I used the kids one when I was younger and it did nothing for my hair. I'm dry type 4.

Haven't tried the other one.

I don't think I care about ingredients in some products either :look: I prefer natural, but if something else keeps my hair softer and causes less breakage I'll use it lol.

I have been using this leave-in from Africa's Best for the last couple of years now, and I credit this moisturizer for helping me stretch my relaxers to 12+ weeks at a time and growing my hair from collarbone length to almost BSB in less than 18 months. Don't know about the two you mentioned, but if you had no problem with the mayonnaise, go for it and see what happens. The nice thing about these products is that they are so cheap, that if they don't work out, it's not like you spent a lot of money to find out. :yep:

I would go with the kids shea butter one because I've used it before and its decent.

These are both "last resort" moisturizers though.

I used both of these products a few years back. The liquid mayo used to be my staple leave-in (until my hair suddenly stopped liking it & I suspected that they reformulated on the sly). The one for kids worked nicely for detangling, but left a slight sticky residue that I didn't like.

I've used the kids version when I first started my hair journey. So many people used it as a rinse after a deep conditioner treatment. As I've only used it in the shower as well...never as a regular hair moisturizer. However, after years and I mean years on this board...I gave up parabens, cones, etc.

I've had the same bottle of the mayonnaise one for a long time. I can't stand the smell but it works okay.

I will use it only if my hair is dirty or I'm experimenting with hairstyles close to wash day.

They don't work the way they used to. the liquid mayo used to be AWESOME. find something better.

Back